Magic pill that would ensure a problem-free pregnancy

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If there was a magic pill out there that would ensure you would have a problem-free pregnancy, do you think you would want more children?

By magic pill, I mean you would have no morning sickness, no excessive weight gain- all the weight would be off within a few weeks of having the baby, no back pain, no hip pain, no headaches, no nausea, no tiredness, no high blood pressure, no food cravings. You would feel totally normal, just with a slightly bigger tummy, but none of the annoying side effects of pregnancy itself.

Would you take such a pill? Would you want more kids than you currently are planning on?

I think if there was a pill like that, I would definately take it. And I would probably plan on a larger family. I am not a big fan of being pregnant, so unless they do come up with a magic pill I will probably not want more than 3 or 4 kids. If there was a pill like that I would consider having more, maybe 6.

June 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM
*Aspen*
I would "maybe" take the pill....actually, probably not. I enjoy the side effects....it makes me "feel" the process that my body is going through.

The "side effects" of pregnancy hasn't nor will it ever be the deciding factor in how many children I will have.
June 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The "side effects" of pregnancy hasn't nor will it ever be the deciding factor in how many children I will have.[/b]
I tend to think that if someone has a horrible time being pregnant (constant vomiting, horrible back pain, etc) they might decide to have less children based on that.

June 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Quote:
The "side effects" of pregnancy hasn't nor will it ever be the deciding factor in how many children I will have.[/b]
I tend to think that if someone has a horrible time being pregnant (constant vomiting, horrible back pain, etc) they might decide to have less children based on that.
[/b]
I bolded and italicized for you.
June 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before that pill is made,they should make one that help us that have stubborn ovaries to ovulate without fail and then work from there lol.(clomid was about as effective as breath mint for me).I havent ovulated in over 10 months
I loved being pregnant,and although I was sick,I loved every minute of it,so I wouldent take anything even if it were avalable,infact,I was actually given meds for nausia and I refused to take them...I loved feeling sick,it just made me more aware of my situation and I loved it.
Nope..I wouldent take it The day I get pregnant (if that ever happens) I will welcome every single side effect (how ever bad it may be) with open arms lol.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would! I used to want more kids but now after a really sucky pregnancy I only want to have one more. And I'm still dreading being pregnant again.
June 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure I would take it. I had a terrible pregnancy with Anthony. Severe, 9 month long, morning sickness that landed me in the hospital weekly with dehydration. I also had a placenta abruption that nearly killed me during labor...

But looking back, it was all exciting and new. Yes, it was scary, and a PITA! but truly I think it's those harsher moments of pregnancy that we really remember years down the road, and I'll remember them fondly.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DES Medication

excerpt from the above site..

It was first prescribed by physicians to prevent miscarriages (in women who had had previous miscarriages) in the 1940s as an off-label use. On July 1, 1947, the FDA approved the first supplemental new drug application (by Squibb) adding prevention of miscarriage as an indication and approved 25 mg (and later 100 mg) tablets of DES for this indication, and approved applications of several other pharmaceutical companies in the second half of 1947.[7] The recommended regimen started at 5 mg per day in the 7th and 8th week of pregnancy (from first day of last menstrual period), increasing every other week by 5 mg per day through the 14th week, then increasing every week by 5 mg per day from 25 mg per day in the 15th week to 125 mg per day in the 35th week of pregnancy.[8] DES was originally considered effective and safe for both the pregnant woman and the developing baby. A double-blind study of pregnant women (unselected for history of miscarriage) was not published until six years after DES received FDA approval for prevention of miscarriage.[9] Even though it found that pregnant women given DES had just as many miscarriages and premature deliveries as the control group, DES continued to be aggressively marketed and routinely prescribed (though in decreasing frequency—sales peaked in 1953 and by the late 1960s six of seven leading textbooks of obstetrics said DES was ineffective at preventing miscarriage).

I am a 2nd generation DES baby. My grandmother took this drug in 1954 while pregnant with my mother. My mother was not affected but I am. I and my sister have numerous non-complicated internal organ deformities... including our uteri. This drug was on the market for 59 YEARS... the last pill was made in 1997. It was never banned by the FDA... restricted use, but not banned! Despite direct links to dramatically increased birth defects (even in subsequent generations) and cancer rates.

I too suffered from hyperemesis with all of my pregnancies and was hospitalized at least once with each one due to dehydration and malnutrition. Before I took any medications, I wanted all the information on that drug first... contraindications, side effects, pregnancy rating, etc. There were a couple antiemetics that I refused to take because they were deemed to have increased negative effects on the baby. I absolutely refused Zofran... there is just not enough information available for me to take it and feel okay about it.

I know first-hand that even FDA approved drugs are dangerous during pregnancy to the baby (and their babies). I also know first-hand (I'm a nurse) that many doctors prescribe drugs for off-label use despite FDA warnings and restrictions. Because of my experiences, I have the opinion that pregnant women should avoid ALL medications unless absolutely necessary. To take a medication just because pregnancy symptoms are uncomfortable and inconvenient to the mother is irresponsible and reckless.

</div>
June 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Veteran
Actually-I enjoy the side effects of pregnancy, makes it feel so much more real for me. So it wouldn't affect anything for me, and I wouldn't take it.

However--what I am really interested in is a super pill to make my new baby sleep through the night from day one, never need much, be very easy-going---and continue on into toddlerhood where my child would be a perfect angel.
June 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
By magic pill, I mean you would have no morning sickness, no excessive weight gain- all the weight would be off within a few weeks of having the baby, no back pain, no hip pain, no headaches, no nausea, no tiredness, no high blood pressure, no food cravings. You would feel totally normal, just with a slightly bigger tummy, but none of the annoying side effects of pregnancy itself.[/b]
You've just described my pregnancy! Don't hate me, but I've had zero symptoms, only gained 11lbs, my hormones aren't all over the map, my skin is completely clear, zero m/s, no aches or pains, no tiredness, BP is perfect, no food cravings, no GD, etc. I'd never know I was pg except I have a belly and I feel the baby kick. I love being pg. With that said, it still doesn't change my mind of only wanting 2 children. Just because being pg is easy on my body doesn't mean it's a greenlight to have more children. DH & I have always agreed that we only wanted 2 children.
June 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
You suck, Nicole! You're so lucky

I had a fairly problem free pregnancy other than killer morning sickness... That hasn't impacted how many children I want though, neither the easy parts nor the very difficult parts.

As for whether I would take the pill... Probably not. I enjoyed being pregnant for the most part. However, if it guaranteed absolutely NO problems to my children or their children, then yeah. Assuming there was magic.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 9th, 2007, 11:46 PM
LaceyMommy2B
i would take it, as long as it wouldnt affect my children lol. and i would probably have lots more kids if i could afford them lol. i have always wanted a big family, but after my hellacious pg with DD, i wasnt sure i EVER wanted more kids. i cried for days when i found out that i was pg with this one. i had horrid morning sickness (the entire time i was pg) and was in the hosp for dehydration, i got a horrible pregnancy related infection that made my insides hurt worse than the BIRTH of DD (also hurt worse than when i broke my back!) and also landed me a week in the hosp, THEN i got SEVERE pre-e that eventually turned into full blown eeclampsia and caused me to black out a few times during labor, temporary vision loss, extreme swelling that resulted in my legs cracking open and bleeding, my lip splitting wide open, severe nose bleeds, not to mention near death of me and DD, and omg.. the magnesium.. *shudders.* i did end up with a teeny tiny, but healthy as can be, baby girl.. so it was all worth it, but if it didnt HAVE to go thru that, i wouldnt want to. id esp like get rid of the risk of having another preemie, it was a blessing that she was healthy, but i would hate to risk it again.

im only 10 wks, but i have already lost 10lbs and cant eat again...i can handle the m/s but im still praying that i wont end up with pre-e again. if a pill would make certain that i wouldnt have to deal with all of that (pre-e symptoms, oh and another infection), but still have a healthy child.. hell yeah id take it.
June 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have always wanted three kids but I'm having a lot of problems during this pregnancy and it's only my first. It makes me question whether I really want to do this again. I don't mind gaining weight, getting acne, not fitting into "cute" clothes, or any of the other physical/mental changes that pregnancy entail. I just care about feeling miserable all the time, so I would totally take a pill to prevent it.

</div>
June 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
If there was a magic pill out there that would ensure you would have a problem-free pregnancy, do you think you would want more children?

By magic pill, I mean you would have no morning sickness, no excessive weight gain- all the weight would be off within a few weeks of having the baby, no back pain, no hip pain, no headaches, no nausea, no tiredness, no high blood pressure, no food cravings. You would feel totally normal, just with a slightly bigger tummy, but none of the annoying side effects of pregnancy itself.

Would you take such a pill? Would you want more kids than you currently are planning on?

I think if there was a pill like that, I would definately take it. And I would probably plan on a larger family. I am not a big fan of being pregnant, so unless they do come up with a magic pill I will probably not want more than 3 or 4 kids. If there was a pill like that I would consider having more, maybe 6.[/b]
Are you kidding? At the rate women want epi's, no one could convince me there wouldn't women fighting for this pill and having Duggar-family-knock offs!

I would like to think I wouldn't take the pill.. but never say never!
June 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I might take such a pill, but I would not alter my family size because of it. Children are expensive and I want to be able to provide all I can. I can't see having more than 2 or 3.

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center"></div>
June 11th, 2007, 07:32 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL at first I thought this was going to be a funny thread. My first thought was whats next magic toilet paper that will stop a period no cramps bloating ect ect lol sorry had to share im in a quirky mood lol

June 12th, 2007, 03:04 AM
nathansmom
No, I would not take it. It would not alter how many children we will have. I enjoy being pregnant....now if there was a pill to ensure my newborn would sleep 8 hours a night from Day One...I may reconsider! B)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search