Happy Hour at School?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Veteran
What do you think of this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19145339/

I don't have a problem with it other than--the school should have known better than to do something they knew would stir everyone up, not to mention it's illegal, and inappropriate.
June 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
*Aspen*
I understand the use of alcohol in different cultural passages/religions, but it stands that these children were minors and it was a school. Alcohol has no place (no matter what the reasons).
June 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can understand that serving alcohol during a religious event is tradition, but at a graduation ceremony? I don't think it's acceptable.

This story made me think of something else...
I realize giving underage children alcohol is illegal, but what about the churches that offer wine during religious ceremonies? I know lots of kids that drink wine while in church. Is that illegal?

</div>
June 10th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran
At my church they use grape juice to represent wine.. Are you sure churches really use wine?
June 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm surprised that it even got as far as the event day itself. It seems like an idea like that would have been shot down before even getting out of the box, you know? (Unless the teacher prepared the ritual without running it by any of his colleagues or superiors.)

Eh, I have no problem with the ritual itself, but the teacher should have known better than to expose the children to alcohol without at least obtaining permission slips - and if he had gone that route, I'd put money on the ritual never going forward (at least using the gin) in the first place.

HoorahFly - When I was younger and attended church with my family, the church used red wine - not grape juice.

June 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it was a really stupid way to try and make their point about "being honest". As the man himself said, there are other ways that you can make that point without doing something illegal.

ETA: The church in which I grew up, an Episcopal church, used red wine during Communion. I believe that most liturgical churches use wine instead of grape juice. When my daughter attends church with my mom, she receives communion but dips her wafer in the chalice rather than sip the wine.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no issue with it. It was a right to passage ceremony

June 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
At my church they use grape juice to represent wine.. Are you sure churches really use wine?[/b]
My old boss is a Catholic Deacon and they serve wine during Communion. It's available to any child that is willing to take communion. They do not substitute the wine with grape juice here.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search