Insurance & Labor Choices

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
*Aspen*
Should insurance cover all forms of labor choices? OB's...Family Dr....MW...Doula...Birthing Center etc..?
June 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No.

Medical insurance should cover medical expenses.

The argument I generally hear over and over again is that labor and delivery are not medical events. They are natural and should be treated as such. (I tend to agree with that. I only bring it up to support my opinion in this thread.)

June 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
*Aspen*
So you must agree with all women birthing at home then aye?
June 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here,we have 2 kinds of medical care.The free kind,where we have no say what so ever in anything during birth and labour,and private insurance,which is more luxurious when it comes to treatment and the condition of the hospitals etc,but unfortunately,when it comes to labour,you dont get much of a say in that either

I had my daughter in a private clinic because I wanted a VBAC (something that a public hospital would have denied me) and I got it and it was great.The epidural was placed right away,my husband has his own bed next to mine,the room was lovley,the doctors were super kind etc...But I wasnt allowed to get off of the bed (before my epi) and walk around,and I was made to give birth flat on my back (which is VERY Hard when you have an epi).Also,I asked for them not to give me an episotomy,but the nurse walked in,shaved me down,and BAM,I got a huge one right down to my butt! I asked why she had done that and she said that it was because I had an epidural.(it was agood idea in the end though,my daughter had her cord around her neck twice).
I hope that things have changed since then..I have private insurance again.

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

June 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they should cover birthing centers and midwives in additon to regular hospitals and OBGyn.

I have Tricare and you can actually have a home birth with a midwife (has to be a CNM though), but the problem is that not that many people do it so it's hard to get. You have to pay the 3500 or whatever it is out of your own pocket, and they are supposed to reimburse you.

I had a CNM but I was having a hospital birth but unfortunately she wasn't there when I had to be induced early. Thankfully the doctor respected my wishes as much as possible considering the induction, like no episiotemy.

Honestly next time I might just go to a birthing center and pay for it with my own money. If I had to have a c section or any other type of intervention in an emergency then my insurance would still cover it.
June 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry. I should have given a more detailed response.

Quote:
So you must agree with all women birthing at home then aye?[/b]
Not necessarily. I believe that the birthing is a natural process and that all women should have the right to birth in the manner they see fit. However, I have no problems with medical intervention during L&D. (WARNING: Personal experience example ahead! ) It's the option I chose for myself and likely will in the future. Medical intervention made the birthing process more comfortable for me. The process itself may be natural, but the intervenetion I received was not.

I guess I'm trying to make a distinction. If you choose to homebirth with the assistance of a doula and not medical intervention, then I see no reason why medical insurance should cover any expenses you incur during that process. If you choose to birth in a hospital with the assistance of a medical doctor, then I think that medical insurance should cover those medical expenses.

June 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A doula is different than a midwife though, a midwife can do everything an OB can do except a cesarean. Doulas are more of like a labor coach, and when I looked it up when I was pregnant they were nowhere near as expensive as a midwife. Probably a couple hundred dollars though.
June 10th, 2007, 10:27 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
When DH and I were living in Alaska and I got pregnant, we were in college. Therefore, we had state insurance, a type of Medicare. My pregnancy care was done by a CNM, covered by the insurance. When I moved to CA, the only option I had was an OB. So, some insurance DOES cover homebirths, birthing centers, and midwives...just not all. And much like walking into a hospital and giving birth vs. staying at home is your choice...so is which insurance you choose.
June 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Tofu Bacon
Well, it would be nice if insurance did cover all options, but I think at the very least there should be more flexibility in what they will cover, particulaly because many women are limited on where/how/with whom they can give birth. Having insurance that covers birthing centers is great...but useless if you don't have a birthing center anywhere near you. Having insurance that covers homebirth is great...but useless if homebirth is illegal in your state.

I don't understand why there are restrictions on which hospitals a woman can birth in as long as they are equipped for L&D. In my case, there are 2 hospitals near me (both of which are covered by my insurance); one is supposed to be this great "birthing center" but the other is more mom & baby friendly and allows 24 rooming in, while the "better" hospital has a lot of mom & baby seperation and only allows part-time rooming in. I want to deliver at the mom & baby friendly hospital, but the only midwife covered by my insurance has privilages at the other hospital. So now I can give birth at the same awful hospital as last time... or pay several thousand dollars out of pocket for a midwife who isn't covered by my plan but has privilages at the other hospital.
June 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Why couldn't you get another midwife that has privilages at the second hospital?
June 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think care providers should all be covered by healthcare.

Doulas are not care providers (in the same sense), they are not 'medical' and although it would be nice if healthcare paid for their services, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I am happy with midwifery being paid for.

If doulas were covered there would have to be someway to govern and regulate the registration (which isn't really in place either) of doulas... It would take a long time to implement that.

June 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Veteran
Health insurance doesn't cover other homeopathic/natural remedies as far as I know(acupuncture, aroma therapy, hypnosis..). I don't know the answer to your question..
June 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
Health insurance doesn't cover other homeopathic/natural remedies as far as I know(acupuncture, aroma therapy, hypnosis..). I don't know the answer to your question..[/b]
Did I mention any of those? I don't know what you're thinking.....or where you got the idea I'm talking about that.
June 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, birthing centers should be covered by insurance. And homebirths too for low risk women who live within a reasonable distance of a hospital.

June 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Health insurance doesn't cover other homeopathic/natural remedies as far as I know(acupuncture, aroma therapy, hypnosis..). I don't know the answer to your question..[/b]
Did I mention any of those? I don't know what you're thinking.....or where you got the idea I'm talking about that.
[/b]
Did I say you mentioned any of those? I was saying that healthcare does not cover any natural healthcare practices as far as I am aware.
June 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Why couldn't you get another midwife that has privilages at the second hospital?[/b]
She's the only midwife within 40 miles who accepts our insurance. To travel 40 miles in metro NY can take several hours. Dh and I have been discussing it and just may pay out of pocket to deliver at the other hospital. The hospital accepts our insurance, so we'll "only" have to pay several thousand dollars out of pocket for another midwife.
June 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I think care providers should all be covered by healthcare.

Doulas are not care providers (in the same sense), they are not 'medical' and although it would be nice if healthcare paid for their services, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I am happy with midwifery being paid for.

If doulas were covered there would have to be someway to govern and regulate the registration (which isn't really in place either) of doulas... It would take a long time to implement that.[/b]
I agree.

Quote:
Yes, birthing centers should be covered by insurance. And homebirths too for low risk women who live within a reasonable distance of a hospital.[/b]
I agree.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Did I say you mentioned any of those? I was saying that healthcare does not cover any natural healthcare practices as far as I am aware.
[/b]
........you must have missed the point of the debate. I'm asking if insurance should cover MW, BirthingCenters etc..
June 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
*Aspen*
I think OB's,MW's,BirthCenter, and Hospitals should be covered by all insurance. I don't think a woman should have to pay out of pocket to have a low intervention birth. I don't think women should be forced to have to go to such and such hospital because it's the only one covered on their insurance and go to such and such OB (for the same reason). A womans labor choices should not be dictated. She should not be told who can deliver her child or where she can deliver her child. All medical personnel should be included in insurance.

Yes, birth can be medical, very much so. There can always be something that can go wrong, even during the most perfect labor, and someone in the medical field should be there. As long as whoever is qualified, it should be on the insurance.

I do not agree with telling women to find someone else and pay out of pocket just because they want to find someone that will respect their birth choices. And put the health of the mother and baby before convenience.

A woman should not be forced to go to an OB at a hospital if that is not her choice. She should not have to fight tooth and nail to have her wishes respected when she is in labor.

Labor belongs to women. We've gotten too far away from this. It now belongs to OB's and Hospital where our choices are heavily dicated and frowned upon. Labor does not belong to Dr's.....or anyone but the mother.
June 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Should insurance cover all forms of labor choices? OB's...Family Dr....MW...Doula...Birthing Center etc..?[/b]
I actually don't understand why they don't. If they provide the right tools to the low risk moms, it's cheaper for them and better for the baby and birthing mom. Their focus would then have to be the patients and not their shareholders.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search