Log In Sign Up

States Weigh Punishing Child Rapists With Death


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #2  
June 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,604
Wow, I am really torn on this one!

One one hand, a child that has been raped has had their childhood killed, so the rapist is guilty of murder of innocence, but on the other hand, I agree with a couple of the points raised in the article, that it may deter children from telling, or may increase the likelihood that the rapist would also kill the child to prevent them being a witness. I really don't know. Part of me wants to say YES, kill them all, childhood killers! But realistically, I just don't know....
__________________

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09


Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,280413,00.html

Should Child Rapists face the death penalty? WDYT?[/b]
No one should have the death penalty.

Quote:
"I can understand why people would want to put to death these repeat sex offenders," Plauche said. "But I think in the long run what you're going to see, you're going to see the reluctance of people to come forwards because the perpetrators are usually someone known to the family.

"It’s going to keep their victims quiet because they know Uncle Bill's going to be killed."[/b]
Incest is so hard to prove and convict as it is because it's usually covered by other family members.. I totally agree with the above quote. We need more kids to be able to tell and it's hard enough already.



(OT: coughburp ~ Fox news? What are you doing on the website!)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
donomama
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,280413,00.html

Should Child Rapists face the death penalty? WDYT?[/b]
No one should have the death penalty.

Quote:
"I can understand why people would want to put to death these repeat sex offenders," Plauche said. "But I think in the long run what you're going to see, you're going to see the reluctance of people to come forwards because the perpetrators are usually someone known to the family.

"It’s going to keep their victims quiet because they know Uncle Bill's going to be killed."[/b]
Incest is so hard to prove and convict as it is because it's usually covered by other family members.. I totally agree with the above quote. We need more kids to be able to tell and it's hard enough already.



(OT: coughburp ~ Fox news? What are you doing on the website!)
[/b]

ITA. Plus, I think that the death penalty is the easy way out for these slimeballs. I think they should have to sit in prison for the rest of their lives and think about how they made a child's life a living hell. And I don't think it's a bad idea if the other prisoners know what they're in for.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads NY
Posts: 1,997
yeah im probably going to get kicked a bit. But hey its my opinion. ITA with the death penalty. I just wish they would nto make the inmates wait so long on it. As for child molesters yes I think they should get it to. Why some may ask.hmm because they are creatures of habit. They attacked a child. I was one of those children and I wish that he would have been killed because there were over 10 other lil girls besides me that he attacked. If anyone ever ever ever touch my children they would beg for the death penalty when I was done with them. JMO. Let the kicking begin.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,765
I too don't agree with the death penalty PERIOD, so of course i don't agree with it here... However, i would agree with life imprisonment without parole for those offenders who can't be rehabilitated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,599
I am also 100% against the death penalty. I'm actually surprised that the majority of responders so far are against it, too.
__________________
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)


Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads NY
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
I too don't agree with the death penalty PERIOD, so of course i don't agree with it here... However, i would agree with life imprisonment without parole for those offenders who can't be rehabilitated.[/b]

I actually use to be against the death penalty not anymore. Why should they be kept imprisoned? Why should my tax dollars go to care for them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 12th, 2007, 07:06 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads NY
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I too don't agree with the death penalty PERIOD, so of course i don't agree with it here... However, i would agree with life imprisonment without parole for those offenders who can't be rehabilitated.[/b]

I actually use to be against the death penalty not anymore. Why should they be kept imprisoned? Why should my tax dollars go to care for them.
[/b]
Actually, your tax dollars spend more on the death penalty than life imprisonment.

Quote:
The death penalty is not cheaper justice than life in prison. Many states have compared the costs, and found that keeping prisoners on death row is far more expensive than putting them away for life. In "The Case Against the Death Penalty," Hugo Adam Bedau writes:

"A 1982 study showed that were the death penalty to be reintroduced in New York, the cost of the capital trial alone would be more than double the cost of a life term in prison. (1) In Maryland, a comparison of capital trial costs with and without the death penalty for the years 1979-1984 concluded that a death penalty case costs "approximately 42 percent more than a case resulting in a non-death sentence." (2) In 1988 and 1989 the Kansas legislature voted against reinstating the death penalty after it was informed that reintroduction would involve a first-year cost of "more than $11 million." (3) Florida, with one of the nation's largest death rows, has estimated that the true cost of each execution is approximately $3.2 million, or approximately six times the cost of a life-imprisonment sentence." (4)

Why is capital punishment so much more expensive? To make sure that innocent people aren't executed, capital cases are given a lengthy appeals process. Many Americans are impatient with this perceived delay of justice, and call for it to be drastically shortened. But it is important to realize that even under the current system, a substantial number of innocent people get executed. The Stanford Law Review has published a famous study documenting 350 cases this century where a person sentenced to death was later proven clearly innocent. Seventy-five of those cases occurred recently, between 1970 and 1985. Although not all of them were executed, most spent decades in prison agonizing over their unjust fate. Without question, shortening the appeals process would increase the already high percentage of innocent people executed.[/b]
Source
[/b]

Well a 20 cent bullet would save everyone money. My ex hubby works in the prison and the inmates are treated better then anyone else in society. That study was also done in 1982 . Things , prices and times have changed. Why should they live. I vote for death penalty.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
June 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads NY
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmilysMommy04 @ Jun 11 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
I too don't agree with the death penalty PERIOD, so of course i don't agree with it here... However, i would agree with life imprisonment without parole for those offenders who can't be rehabilitated.[/b]

I actually use to be against the death penalty not anymore. Why should they be kept imprisoned? Why should my tax dollars go to care for them.
[/b]
Actually, your tax dollars spend more on the death penalty than life imprisonment.

Quote:
The death penalty is not cheaper justice than life in prison. Many states have compared the costs, and found that keeping prisoners on death row is far more expensive than putting them away for life. In "The Case Against the Death Penalty," Hugo Adam Bedau writes:

"A 1982 study showed that were the death penalty to be reintroduced in New York, the cost of the capital trial alone would be more than double the cost of a life term in prison. (1) In Maryland, a comparison of capital trial costs with and without the death penalty for the years 1979-1984 concluded that a death penalty case costs "approximately 42 percent more than a case resulting in a non-death sentence." (2) In 1988 and 1989 the Kansas legislature voted against reinstating the death penalty after it was informed that reintroduction would involve a first-year cost of "more than $11 million." (3) Florida, with one of the nation's largest death rows, has estimated that the true cost of each execution is approximately $3.2 million, or approximately six times the cost of a life-imprisonment sentence." (4)

Why is capital punishment so much more expensive? To make sure that innocent people aren't executed, capital cases are given a lengthy appeals process. Many Americans are impatient with this perceived delay of justice, and call for it to be drastically shortened. But it is important to realize that even under the current system, a substantial number of innocent people get executed. The Stanford Law Review has published a famous study documenting 350 cases this century where a person sentenced to death was later proven clearly innocent. Seventy-five of those cases occurred recently, between 1970 and 1985. Although not all of them were executed, most spent decades in prison agonizing over their unjust fate. Without question, shortening the appeals process would increase the already high percentage of innocent people executed.[/b]
Source
[/b]

Well a 20 cent bullet would save everyone money. My ex hubby works in the prison and the inmates are treated better then anyone else in society. That study was also done in 1982 . Things , prices and times have changed. Why should they live. I vote for death penalty.
[/b][/quote]

Times haven't changed. Those sentenced to death row still get an automatic appeal of which you are paying for.

Why should they live? If you are okay with putting in an "express lane" to death row then I guess you are okay with innocent people dying as well.

Quote:
DNA Testing
Currently, only Illinois and New York give death row inmates the right to DNA testing.
Larry Marshall proposes The Innocence Protection Act of 2000, which would make DNA testing available throughout the country, for any inmate on death row. This Act is now under consideration in the U.S. Congress.

Racial Bias
A Chicago Tribune investigation reports that in Illinois at least 35 black prisoners on death row were convicted or condemned by an all-white jury.

Legal Incompetence
That same investigation reports that at least 33 Illinois death row inmates were represented by attorneys who were later disbarred or suspended.
According to the investigation, in at least 46 death penalty cases, the prosecution's evidence included testimony that was taken from jailhouse informants—a notoriously unreliable source.
Marshall suggests looking at the lessons learned from these cases. He points out a large percentage of eyewitness identifications are erroneous, and most often times jailhouse informants are unreliable. The death penalty should not be considered when this kind of evidence is involved.[/b]
Source
[/b][/quote]


I didnt say innocent people. For example at one of the prisons he works at... There is a man who raped a 7 yr old girl. She was cryiing her eyes out he imaplled her on a pipe then he raped her again. She was still alive. After he did that she was crying in so much pain he pulled her off the pipe and beat her body on the wall like a sake of potatoes till she died. Why should he live. Why. He brags about it in the prison and to the other guards. Why should people like that get to live. Yes id put in a speedy death sentance to people like that. Imagine if she was your 7 yr how would you feel then.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
June 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
I was molested as a child, and I in no way would EVER wish death on that person. I may hate him for what he did to me, but I do not believe in the eye for an eye mentality. I do not agree with this at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
June 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 3,759
IMO, no they shouldn't, because I do not believe in the death penalty. They should face a mandatory life sentence with no chance of parole.
__________________
<div align="center"><div align='center'></div><div align="center"></div></div>
Reply With Quote
  #16  
June 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads NY
Posts: 1,997
LOL sits in my boat alone but I still stand where I am and hold my head high. Can someone gimme some chocolate and a fishing pole. Just so all you ladies know I do disagree with alot of you on certain things , And I do agree with you an many others. But I dont think anything bad about any of you. You are entitled to your opinions. But i stand strong in mine.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #18  
June 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Xtine's Avatar Hip Fresh & Famous
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,304
Quote:
I was molested as a child, and I in no way would EVER wish death on that person. I may hate him for what he did to me, but I do not believe in the eye for an eye mentality. I do not agree with this at all.[/b]
ITA.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
June 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,604
Quote:
I didnt say innocent people. For example at one of the prisons he works at... There is a man who raped a 7 yr old girl. She was cryiing her eyes out he imaplled her on a pipe then he raped her again. She was still alive. After he did that she was crying in so much pain he pulled her off the pipe and beat her body on the wall like a sake of potatoes till she died. Why should he live. Why. He brags about it in the prison and to the other guards. Why should people like that get to live. Yes id put in a speedy death sentance to people like that. Imagine if she was your 7 yr how would you feel then.[/b]
That's horrible! If I were the child's mother I would want to kill him too. But wanting him dead and actually killing him are two different things. If someone put a gun in my hands I don't know that I could shoot him - I don't think I could take a life in cold blood (not in self defense). It wouldn't bring her back. And I would want him to suffer. Spend the rest of his miserabe life behind bars. And I would hope he would live to his 90s, in captivity, wasting away in prison. Death would be getting off easy - it would be me who would be left with the guilt of killing him. And I sure wouldn't be sad if he met his death in a horrific manner, just not at my hands.
I don't know where I sit on the death penalty. I do think taking a life is wrong. People have been put to death and later found to have been innocent. I just don't know.

Quote:
t I do not believe in the eye for an eye mentality. I do not agree with this at all.[/b]
Ditto. But I probably would wish death on him, I would wish he would suffer as she did - like I said, very conflicted about this.
__________________

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09


Reply With Quote
  #20  
June 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
kadydid
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
If I were the child's mother I would want to kill him too. But wanting him dead and actually killing him are two different things.[/b]
I feel this way too.

I think I could totally kill someone if I actually CAUGHT them raping my child at that very moment. I can understand the heat of the moment and seeing something like that and killing them, you would not be in your right mind. But after the fact if not mentally unstable, I could not just kill them.

I am against the death penalty. One it is not cost effective. Two sometimes they are wrong. Three, I don’t think killing someone makes anything better, Four, it doesn't work. I used to be on the fence about it, but I am not anymore. I think its wrong. Although I understand why people would want them dead.

And I can totally see Uncle Bob telling little Mary Sue not to tell what he did to her or the government will kill him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 PM.