My baby is bored and I can't entertain her

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ever since she was about 3 months old, Juliana has been increasingly fussy due to being bored. I can tell because as soon as we change scenery or do something exciting, she gets happy again. At 4 months old, she takes only 2-3 naps of 30-45 minutes each. I have a really hard time entertaining her, and I'm going crazy trying! I have two exersaucers and a "johnny jump up" that I put her in for a few minutes, I walk her around to look at things and pick things up (she especially likes snow globes), show her her reflection in the mirror, read to her, and we do tummy time. I finish all that by about 10 am and just keep repeating the cycle. We were going for walks in the afternoons, but lately it's been icy and we're inside all day. We do either an infant massage or a bath in the evenings before bed. She's bored, and so am I! I thought maybe some of you have had this problem because gifted kids tend to get bored easily. What did you do with your babies at 4 months old?

Last edited by Jule'sMomInOR; November 23rd, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
November 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
At 4 months, for both kids, they really enjoyed being left on the floor with favorite books or toys juuuuust out of reach. It encouraged them to roll or stretch to get them. My oldest son was born with several orthopedic issues, so we were never allowed to put him in those all-in-one toys (like jumpers or exersaucers). He could only play with toys that didn't hold him up in any way. As a result, he learned to like entertaining himself. He would listen to classical music or watch tv also. We decided to do the same with the younger one, and it worked out well for him, too.
November 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me know when you figure it out! I'm doing all those things, he likes to be read to also...and I sing little songs and dance him around.

November 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
At 4 months, for both kids, they really enjoyed being left on the floor with favorite books or toys juuuuust out of reach. It encouraged them to roll or stretch to get them.
I try this with Juliana every morning when she's in the best mood, but she gets frustrated very easily and then starts to fuss. Maybe I need to let her fuss a little more than I do because I pick her up when I sense that she's close to having enough to avoid a major breakdown. She lasts 5 minutes on a bad day, 15 minutes on a good day. We do that again 2-3 more times to attempt to get in 30 minutes of tummy time, but she never goes as long in the afternoons as she does in the morning.

November 24th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was this way. He is not my gifted child but my very opinionated and strong willed child. We had what we jokingly called "stations of baby" and just rotated him through them.
One of our saving graces was the Baby Einstein videos. They were like magic! When nothing else would work, and we were exhausted we could put one in and get 20 minutes of rest. He liked most all of the Baby Einstein series but the original one worked far best for him. He didn't get into the other ones until he was a bit older. He started around 4 months being absolutely mesmerized by them.
I wish I still had mine and I would send them to you.
I hope you find something that work. I know how exhausting that can be.
Mattiez
November 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just went out every day.. didn't matter what the temp was. I took her out in 10 degree weather because we couldn't stay inside.. it was too much. But she was also a severe reflux baby (found out she was allergic to dairy at 16 months and she was on a milk based formula ) so she was in pain a lot and the only thing that helped was getting out and seeing things.. the mall, stores, friends' houses, etc. Anywhere to get out of the house for at least a few hours. She loved being out at the mall/store and being held up to see everything.

December 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
At 4 months (not sure if my baby is gifted or not, but I'm really leaning towards yes) my DD loved baby einstein videos as well.. She started getting excited by them at 1 1/2 months or so.. I put one on so I had 8mins to wake up (it was a clip on youtube) and she got SO excited. To this day, at 10 months, she will sit and watch one for a while..LOVES them!
I also had a bouncy seat that had hanging toys and she would grab them or grab at them for a while.
Then tummy time (which she really didn't like until she learned to crawl), naps, walks..
She hated being home.. once we got out, she was the image of the perfect baby. She never cried.
What also worked, and still does, is bathtime!
She is in love with baths! We co-bathe to save time since I have her in the bathroom when I shower anyways, so I filled the tub and played with her for 10-15 mins, then afterwards she was always much calmer. Now we do it to calm her down when she's ultra-cranky and she's usually good to go for a while after.
She also really liked her cradle swing, since it went side to side.
Music is something she loves,too.
And snuggles.

I'm not really sure if we had a system at 4 months..usually I just tried anything I could think of to keep her happy and entertained.
Now she wakes up, plays independently (she loves it), then comes over to me, so we play for a bit, then eat, then play more with her toys, then eat lunch, then nap (one good nap a day! ), then play..more play.. more play.. then more play.. LOL
Then dinner, play.. She's a very go-go-go baby.. she never stops!

December 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Well, I was a little leery of having her watch tv but I played the Baby Einstein video for her and she loved it! She was riveted to the tv. I hope that's a good thing. At least now I have one more thing in the circuit.

My baby being bored is only part of the problem; I'm bored, too. I'm kind of ashamed to admit it. I think it's getting better now that she's laughing and almost sitting up on her own and can entertain herself a little bit.

December 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm bored, too. It can get tough/boring when it seems like the whole day is just to keep up with baby. Hang in there. It will get easier as baby learns to do more and interact more on his own.
I found that getting out of the house was a big deal for me. I tried to have an outing every day even if it was just to the PO or grocery store. It helped keep me connected to the outside world.
Mattiez
December 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran
I agree - those early days really need an outing or a new idea. If you can't get out, try doing something you've never done before. Keep it randon! Draw a picture, bake a new cake, have an aromatherapy bath at lunchtime, read a story, write a story!

Getting involved with a mummy's group or playgroup is a saving grace too!
November 15th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem with my six month old. She only seemed interested in playing and doing tummy time for a few minutes before she would throw a fuss. I downloaded an app that was designed to stimulate natural brain waves for all types of moods through the day. More info here: http://www.visvibebaby.com/. So far it has helped a lot!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search