How many are gifted?

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By clouise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Just out of curiosity...

What percentage of the world would you say are truly gifted (going only on the basis of 120+ IQ, since there are a lot of definitions of gifted)?

What percentage of the world would you say aren't actually gifted, but their parents think they are (or thought they were as children)?

What percentage would you say are actually gifted, but they either don't realize it or purposely deny it?
July 9th, 2012, 06:13 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow - those are tough questions for this early in the am. I need more coffee first...LOL

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

July 9th, 2012, 07:16 AM
July 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't even venture to guess.

These are the numbers I do know... When I was in college (some education class I guess) we were taught that the top five percent of the population is gifted. I assume they just meant straight IQ...not "gifted" in some other way, like the arts. Now the district we are living in now gives the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test to all students, and then takes the top 20% and screens them for entrance into the TAG program. I'm not sure how many actually get enrolled in the program, but probably more than 5%.
July 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I don't have a clue, either, but I bet the actual numbers and perceived numbers are vastly different.
July 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To clarify, on the original post was the first question asking how many are 120+ IQ and know it/claim it and third question asking about those who don't know/don't claim it?

To answer those with a number I would say look at the bell curve and apply the percentage to the world population, although I'm sure there are a lot of extraordinarily talented people that may just barely not be captured in that.

To the second question, probably a whole lot more... LOL. Not sure, but I have definitely heard a lot of people convinced a child is SO smart or beyond the norm for doing things that are definitely well within the norm. I think there should be either an IQ score, a TAG program or some other professional opinion, or a clearly exceptional talent to differentiate which people actually are or which just think/hope they might be.

What made you wonder, Chrystal? Planning world domination?

July 10th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Just curious. It drives me nuts to hear people talking about how smart little Johnny is because he's doing something that is (obviously to everyone else in the room) TOTALLY normal. Not sure why it's rocket science for a 3rd grader to read a Magic Tree House book, ya' know?

Then again, there are people out there in other cultures or in very low socioeconomic situations who are obviously brilliant but have never had a chance or resources to do anything.
July 11th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Which brings us back to the whole nature versus nurture thing, right? My kids have never had an IQ test, but I can almost promise you they are "smart" because they've been nurtured. They've always had good healthy food, medical care, been read to from birth, and so on. Those basic things really pay off.
shari626 likes this.
July 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Agreed!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search