who else has a GT kid with other issues (sensory, emotional, etc.?)

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2016, 09:11 AM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD is 8 years old and in 2nd grade. She was identified as GT in kindergarten. Academically, her grades are exceptional. It is not unusual for her to get a 100 on her report card in more than one subject. She is in a dual language program (Spanish/English), and she is doing as well as native Spanish speakers in Spanish even though DH and I are Anglo and don't speak Spanish at all.

But...that being said...last week, DH and I had a conference with her teachers, and the poor thing is having at least 1 meltdown per day. She cannot calm herself, and luckily, her teachers realize she is not doing it on purpose. She has meltdowns trying to find a book every week in the library though it is a clear routine. She has meltdowns if the slightest thing changes in the schedule. She has meltdowns if they are doing something in PE she does not like. She has high anxiety if a test is timed. She had one episode so severe, they had to send her to both the principal and the counselor, and she didn't even tell us about it; her teachers did at the conference. (Luckily, the school principal is a wonderful woman and apparently has an intense GT child of her own, so that helps.) In addition, DD is sensitive to loud noises and will not use any of the school restrooms except the nurse's restroom because the others all have hand blow dryers. She's got other sensory issues too like tons of foods she will not eat (doesn't like to combine foods - will not eat pizza but will eat bread, cheese, pepperoni all separately), clothes that have to not be too tight (won't where blue jeans at all), etc.

Needless to say, the teachers are having DH and me come back later in the spring to work on a behavior (IEP) plan with the school counselor, but what to do in the meantime...?

She is just one INTENSE little girl! Anyone else have a GT kid like this and how do you cope?! Some days I want to pull my hair out! It's hard to remember she is who she is and my frustration won't do anything but make it worse.

My Ovulation Chart
May 25th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran
I was one of those, so even though this is an old post I want to revive it. What I discovered I discovered myself, the doctors wanted me on antidepressants, and my mother refused. Sometimes children are GT because their mind is SO active ALL THE TIME like imagine 2am coffee brain without a break. Even dreams are exhausting. Mine was super active, and I could feel everything super intensely. Like butterflies in the tummy made me puke (sorry guys), and having my socks or shoes fit wrong make it impossible for me to walk... and Iím talking even in high school. Itís stressful too because Iím over aware of everything that goes on around me, and I overthink situations, and if I think someone across the room thinks Iím stupid itís emotionally unsettling, then if the teacher says something embarrassing que the meltdown.
Itís best to be aware of your childís aggravationís (donít force pants on her, donít force her to pick out a book) and be absolutely sure not to talk about her being GT in front of anyone. Act like itís a secret superpower. Let her be as normal as possible. And you have to be extra gentle and extra firm. Donít act like she is exaggerating unless you can prove it. Personally I find that Iím a lot more prone to the meltdown part when Iím hungry. Tbh. And some days in high school I would have one right after lunch because there wasnít enough to fill me. So if butterflies made me puke, tummy gurgling made it feel like I was getting repeatedly punched in the gut, and I was supposed to act normal? Like how can I focus on a Latin test while fighting Floyd mayweather in my gut??
And in the future her GT may take a specific road, so if she flounders in one subject or another donít fret. I never passed algebra. But, I did teach myself molecular and cellular biology. Iím glad my mom was kind and understanding, and I wish my dad would have been, because every critical thing you say is a personal stab in the heart if itís not constructive. And I never told my dad or mom anything about my meltdown problems because I would then cry in front of them, and they hated that, so I hated it, and I had to figure it out myself. Let her cry in public, donít be ashamed of her. She feels so much deeper than most people, and if you want to hide it, sheíll want to hide, and some people never make it out of hiding.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search