does anyone have advice about....

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 08:52 AM
bizziebeemommy's Avatar Veteran
eating issues?????
Hey ladies.. I hope everyone had enjoyed the holidays.
My 3 yr old with severe Autism, will not chew certain foods, and it is driving us coo coo. I keep thinking one day he will get over it, but it just has not happened yet. If we give him a cookie, pretzel, cracker, chip, chic nugget, french fry, etc.... he will LICK it until all of the flavor is gone, then throw it on the floor. (and want another one)
What frustrates me about this, is that he will chew on weird things. (like he is teething) I know he is "sensory seeking" when he does these things, but WHY wont he chew food like he tries to chew.. electrical chords (!!!!) the edge of my wooden table (!!!!) toys, books, dvd cases, .. the list could go on and on. Hellllllp!!! I just want him to eat his food... life would be so much easier. He does get speech and OT, but nothing is helping. We cannot go on like this forever.... if you have any input, I would appreciate it.:-P

January 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a phase to me. Carrie chews on all the same things, cords, tables, etc, but she's a good eater now. That was not always the case.

Does he eat thick soups?? We'va had to do EVERYTHING at one point or another just to get food into her. Maybe like baked potato soup (with extra butter, etc for calorie intake), intro'ing chunks into it so that he redevelops an intrest in solids.

Or chopping things up where they aren't so solid... (we at one point had to cut up all noddles for Carrie where they were less whan 1/4 inch long, but then she didn't really have to chew anything.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
bizziebeemommy's Avatar Veteran
we chop and mash everrrrrything up. Last night I tried to give him rice krispies, and bless his heart.... you can tell he really really wants to eat it, but cannot figure out how to chew it up and swallow it. It had to be totally saturated w/ milk, b/c he basically just swallows it, rather than chews it. If any of the 'krispies' were not wet, he would let them fall down his chin, out of his mouth.
He has been doing this his whole life, which is why I wonder if this is a phase or not. I certainly hope he grows out of it... sooner than later. lol

January 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carrie had a simlar prob when she was 15 months it was oral motor regression.... suddenly she found herself unable to move her tongue well enough to manipulate the food... all we could do at that point was feed her mush and work with her sppech path

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 8th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
This sounds like an OT issue to me. I wish I had more advice, but Ava's eating issues are different. Her issues are CP related. She doesn't have the muscle strength to chew.

Good luck, hun!!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
January 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Sounds like my DS Teighan. He is still strictly on Alimentum formula & only "lick's" things as well, he does eat baby stage 1 foods from Gerber, and yet, as you mentioned will chew other things that aren't meant to be chewed on. He's feeding at a 4-6 mos. old level & he's in E.I. w/ an O.T. b/c of it. It's gotten better w/ time, a little that is. He at least will lick the food where as before, he would run away or turn his head. That's better & some headway.

He isn't autistic but I am not sure what services you & your family receive. I'd be trying to incorporate the eating w/ an O.T. as well as the other services for the autism. JMHO, HIH

January 25th, 2010, 10:28 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
We have feeding issues as well. Luke is doing stage 2 & 3 foods along with some mashed table foods. Too lumpy, he spits it out. Major texture aversion. He sees finger foods coming to his mouth, he turns his head & locks his lips. I wish I had some advice. We're are making a little progress with texture but no interest with him trying to feed himself. He also loves to put other stuff in his mouth.... toys, paper, lint, DVD cases. We're working on this with OT now.

((HUGS))

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

January 26th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I'm no help here as nichle ate foods normally and Avery hasn't really gotten into them yet. we just started offereing since she is 6 1/2 months. BUT my friends dd was sensory seeking baby and wouldn't eat ANY solids other then gerber puff type things until she was 18 months old. Now at just 4, she has overcome most of her sensory problems (still has some but they are easily delt with now) but she still will not eat anything mushy. cottage cheese, apple sauce, spaghetti sauce on noodles even. Her OT people said not to worry about it, jsut offer the foods and maybe she will eventually learn to deal with them, but if she doesn't she doesn't.

I know its not really the same since you are having hte opposite problem, only eating the mush, but thought I'd say anyways. sorry

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search