Daddies

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2010, 06:32 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
How is Daddy with everything your SN child is going through?
How involved are they in therapy and appointments?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM
~JustAngie~'s Avatar ~Let your colors burst~
He is doing really well with everything! He doesn't really get to participate in Joey's therapies as he works all day, but he takes time off to go with me to doctor appointments. He's a great hubby

April 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He's pretty annoyed by everything and really distancing himself. I think the biggest problem he has is what the therapies he ends up needing may cost because he's always stressing about money.

April 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Anna, that just sucks I know DH worries about the cost of things too, especially with Danny getting close to 3 and graduating out of the state EI program. Honestly, I do too! Before scholarships & grants, tuition for the deaf school is $25,000 a year - we have no idea what they'll be able to bring it down to for us.

Angie, that's awesome!

John and I split therapy time, since we're both working at the moment. Our team has been great about scheduling appointments in late afternoon so we just need to get off work a little early to make it. For PT and OT we both try to be there, and speech we rotate one week with both of us and Eric, one week just me, one week just DH. He tries to be really involved... I'm not sure I could handle it all without him.

April 8th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MomtoAnnaLise
He is good about it. He works during the day, so I take her to therapies, but when I work at night and in the evening, he works with her, especially with eating
April 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Daryl is pretty hands off when it comes to the appointments, decisions, and therapies for Jonah. I wish that he were more involved, but I think he just trusts that I know what I'm doing.His work schedule also doesn't allow him much time to be involved with appointments. Especially since he wants to make sure that he has enough time off to help me when the baby is born. He has never even met our regular pedi.

But, he does listen to what I tell him goes on at therapies, he reads all of the handouts, and he is really good at doing whatever exercises I show him need to be done. He's really good with the verbal exercises! I love to watch them together. He really worked with him on the word "ball" and they watch basketball together, and Jonah is just obsesed with basketball. It sounds strange, but that has actually helped a lot in speech therapy. On nice evenings when DH gets home from work, he'll take Jonah on a wagon ride through the neighborhood, and Jonah points to all the basketball hoop and DH talks to him all about them. Now he points to the hoops and says "Baw!"(one of his three words) And DH has also really helped with his walking and balance. He's really patient and holds Jonah up to "make" him walk to where ever they are going. Even though it's slower and sometimes frustrating. I'm really proud of DH for his patience with that. A lot of people would just get frustrated and pick him up to carry him rather than letting him walk or helping him with his balance.

So I guess he makes up for not being available for the appointments. Sometimes it's hard to go alone though

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH is great we are able to schedule therapy for days that DH works from home and then he makes the therapy session his lunch hour. He leaves alot of the decisions up to me but is very involved in what needs to be done. He is more of an enforcer for PT, which is good, bc when Kaiden starts to cry with frustration I have a very hard time continuing. I give him many more breaks, I just hate to hear the little guy cry.

He has been able to go to the more important appointments, but not the regular plain old pedi appts, and has not met Kaiden's current pedi but trusts the decisions I make.
April 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
dh is doing good here, I know he blames himself a lot for Avery's issues as they are hereditary and he has them as well. BUT last week when I had a mini melt down about soething the doctor put on her state blind paper, he calmed me down.

He works over the road so he is not there for most things, he will be here tomorrow for Avery's therapy though, most likely he will keep Nichole preoccupied though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
Anna, that just sucks I know DH worries about the cost of things too, especially with Danny getting close to 3 and graduating out of the state EI program. Honestly, I do too! Before scholarships & grants, tuition for the deaf school is $25,000 a year - we have no idea what they'll be able to bring it down to for us.

Angie, that's awesome!

John and I split therapy time, since we're both working at the moment. Our team has been great about scheduling appointments in late afternoon so we just need to get off work a little early to make it. For PT and OT we both try to be there, and speech we rotate one week with both of us and Eric, one week just me, one week just DH. He tries to be really involved... I'm not sure I could handle it all without him.
the school district shoudl take over his therapies. ALso for free. Now whether they are any good is up in the air. lol Here ECI sucks big time and the school district stepping in for Avery is better. I would talk to ECI about what happens after he ages out. Also look into charter schools. There is a local charter school that is for the deaf, they take hearing kids too but mostly deaf. More for family of deaf kinda thing

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM
The problem is that there are 3 deaf schools, and they are all private. The public school district has a special needs program, but it's not specifically hearing impaired, so we'd be sacrificing quality of care. Of course, we'll do what we need to do, but if we choose to go with a deaf school over just the public SN class the school district won't pick it up - they'd only pick up PT and OT, which his pedi says he wouldn't qualify for if he was evaluated now.

April 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
aw that stinks. It puts such a burden on parents when they do things like that. I hope something comes up to help pay the tuition. I know they gave us a paper on teh local blind school, but we are all confident enough that Avery won't be a brail reader so I am not as concerned about that part of it

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search