Log In Sign Up

possible loss - have some questions

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the mountain state
Posts: 11,860
I had my 8 week u/s yesterday, the baby only measured 6 wks and had no heartbeat.

My MW told me flat out there is no hope for this pregnancy because you never see a fetal pole and no heartbeat. - I did read some encouraging stories that babies measured behind with no heartbeat and then a week later had a heart beat.

So I told her I wanted to second u/s just to make sure before I made any decisions.

She feels that a d & c would be a good way to go since I have not started to miscarry. For now I am holding on the hope that I have not m/c'ed yet because the baby just needed some more time to get things moving.

I am not happy with how uncaring the MW seemed, it sounded like she was humoring for the same of humoring me. She could have said something like "it isn't likely, but there is a possibility" but she flat out told me there is no hope.

Anyway. I go back next thursday for a second u/s if things are the same and I still haven't started to m/c then I guess I should schedule a d&c.

Do any of you know if a d&c can affect future vbac? If you have any info on D&C's I'd be grateful for the info.

Thanks, Ami

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 11,226
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Oh Ami, I'm so sorry. I would hold onto the hope that everything is fine. For now. But prepare yourself for the worst. I'm so glad you demanded a second ultrasound to confirm it.

My personal opinion would be to try to have a natural miscarriage before having a D&C. I don't think it would effect your VBAC chances, but it does cause scarring, and you never know what that will do. See if they'll check your hCG levels. As long as they are going down, your body is taking care of it. But, after a while, when it seems it's over, you'll need to go in for an ultrasound to make sure everything is gone. If not, they may have to do a D&C after all. But, I know that sometimes it can last a long time. So, I'd probably want to do it naturally, then if it hadn't happened after such-n-such time, go in for the D&C.

But, that is my thought process. I know many women prefer to be in a hospital and have it taken care of quickly. Do some research, see how you feel.

In the meantime, I'll hope and pray that your little bean just started off slowly, and all will be well.
Wendy, Mom to
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, Angel Baby Bernadette, & Alice

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by WendyBird; May 27th, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 4,816
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
I agree to try for a natural m/c. However I will say I had a D&C April 09, pregnant May 09 and just delivered. I did not achieve a VBAC but because I listened to a anti-VBAC nurse and because Kaylee was tacky and not stabilizing. However they did not stop me from attempting a VBA2C and I did go into labor on my own.

I do hope that when you have your u/s all is well with little bean and there is no reason to worry about any of this.

Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,649
My personal thoughts would be to try for a natural m/c using the d&c only if I had to. Partly because I don't like the thought of anything else happening with my cervix and uterus, but mostly because a m/c is such a personal and emotional time. I'd be afraid that I would get a cruddy nurse for the d&c and would leave feeling even worse than I already did.
Mom to 3 (1998, 2000, and 2009), step-mom to 1 (1995), two four-legged babies who bark, wife and full time student.
My days are busy, my house is messy, and my heart is full!
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Posts: n/a
I'm so sorry

I would also agree with trying to have a natural m/c, its deffinitly better for your body in general. However its not always possible. I've had 3 natural m/c all before 10 weeks, and 3 D&C with losses after 10 weeks. I've also had a tubal removal due to eptoptic pregnancy.

Non of these have any barring on my chances at a VBAC from everything I've looked into. While you do get scaring from a D&C its not the same as with a section.

Hold what hope you can and we'll pray everything is ok, but prepare yourself just in case.

*HUGS* if you need anything please feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 17,495
While a natural miscarriage might be better for you physically, I think you also need to think about what would be best for you emotionally. I have a close friend who miscarried last fall, and she chose a D&C because it made her feel more in control of the whole process. She was able to plan which day she wanted to do it, and mentally prepare for it, which she said really helped her during her grieving process. If you're like me, and tend to hate having any kind of medical procedure, you might actually feel more in control if you were able to wait for your body to take care of things. Either way, I don't think a D&C would effect your chances of a VBAC down the road.
Mommy to two beautiful boys, watched over by two angels in heaven

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,500
First I want to say that I am praying that they just couldn't pick up the hb. But I would wait is out too. I think we have all been medicalized enough with our c/s. I dread the doctors for my flu shot now. But that's just me.

Reply With Quote
May 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
Ditto what the others have said. I hope you get better news though and don't have to make that decision.

Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TN
Posts: 6,463
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Sorry you are going through this, Ami. I know it's hard.

I had a loss a couple years ago and I chose to have a D&C instead of waiting to miscarry naturally. For me, it was the best decision because I was able to get the physical part of it over with and begin the emotional healing. I did not want to go through the torture of WAITING to miscarry, wondering when it would start, etc. I didn't want to go through the pain of the contractions and cramping and bleeding. I did not want to SEE what came out of me. I just wanted it over with. I wanted to be in control. It was painless and over quickly and for me, it was definitely the right decision.

And keep in mind that if you do let it happen naturally, you could end up having to have a D&C anyway if everything doesn't pass naturally. So, at least in a D&C, it's over in 30 minutes and you know everything is cleared out.

I also had concerns that having the D&C could affect a future VBAC. But I asked my midwife about it and she said that it should not have any affect at all. I guess I'll see here in a few months. I am 21 weeks along right now and am planning my 2nd VBAC in October. I am sure everything will be fine. My midwife assured me that the D&C shouldn't have any affect on my delivery this time.

D&C is a very common procedure and women go on to have normal, healthy deliveries after them all the time.

The choice is totally up to you, but I wanted to share my experience. Having a D&C was the right choice for me and it was easy and I'm glad I went with it instead of waiting for it to just happen naturally. I think it would have been a lot harder physically and emotionally to wait for it to happen on it's own.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I'm sorry you are having to go through this.
Jamie, mommy to: Jillian 7/19/05 (c-section), Addison 6/4/07 (VBAC),
& Evan 10/16/10 (VBAC)

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 10,118
I'm sorry, hun!!! I agree with the other ladies about trying for a natural m/c. My heart breaks for you.
Stacey, wife to Allan & mom to:

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0