Baby by 40 weeks or c-section?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my second appointment last week and asked more specifically what they meant by "we don't want you to go past 40 weeks if trying for a vbac". I had assumed they meant they would induce. But now I learned they mean c-section. So if I don't naturally go into labor on my own by then they want to cut.

I asked the doctor how strict they were with this policy. She said she didn't want me to think it was set in stone... if I am dilating and making good progress they would "consider" letting me go past 40, but 41 is the absolute stopping point. They will only give Pitocin if I have started labor on my own and not progressing.

My water broke at 40 weeks 5 days last time. It's going to be stressful when I hit those last few weeks feeling the added urgency to go into labor on my own. I'm not a confrontational type of person... but vbac is something I feel strongly about and am willing to fight for. So if I need to I will push to get that extra week. This is all assuming this baby isn't breech which I keep feeling very doubtful about... I'm driving myself crazy with things I can't even really control!

I feel like in order to successfully achieve a natural vbac like I want, I need to be in a focused and clear state of mind. But it's going to be hard to get to that confident way of thinking if I feel doubtful that I will even have the opportunity to try vbac.
June 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran
Gosh I am sorry, this must be really hard. All I can say is keep fighting for your Vback! Insist on waiting as long as you can, I know for me, I would! I do not know why your doc wouldn't allow you to go over 40 wks (which is consider "on time") unless you are making progress. My doctor will allow me to go two weeks over due if I wish but he refuses to induce me so hopefully I too, will have this baby soon (I'm 38 wks)!

Keep us updated!
June 14th, 2010, 09:32 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep fighting. This "baby by 40 weeks" rule that a lot of OBs have is bullsh*t. I was 41 weeks even with my VBAC baby. I ALWAYS go 'over due', meaning I always go past my EDD. 42 weeks is truly over due. I have found that there are not a lot of doctors that will induce a vbac unless they are very confident in what they are doing due to the risk of UR. I also wouldn't let the doc check my dialation if I were you till that 40 week appointment. I'd make the appointment for 40 weeks + a few days.

Remember, they can't cut if you don't show up!
June 14th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto Tiff. I wouldn't let them check you at all. I have no idea why 40w would be a magical number.

June 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's pretty much what my doc said to the word. I think they would go as long as 2 weeks past though. Luckily I went into labor 4 days overdue and progressed to a 5, then stopped. That's when I got pitocin and all was fine.

My doc did everything to help though. She stripped my membranes on my due date and I pretty much went into early labor then. I walked for the next 4 days and finally went into active labor!!

I know how you feel about getting a VBAC though, it was so important to me as well and your doc should be pretty reasonable about it. When I was so miserable I suggested just doing a C-section my doc said "Well, we can. But remember how much you want that VBAC?? You've gone this far! Just wait a little longer!" It was great! They pushed for the VBAC too
June 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Keep in mind that they can NOT force you to have a c-section. Just because you go past your ESTIMATED DUE DATE does not mean you automatically have to have a c/s. Due dates are just that....estimates. Everyone delivers at different points.

I was showing NO signs of labor with my first when I went in to be induced at 40w3d....which ultimately led to my c-section...because my body was NOT ready to deliver yet.

When I was pregnant with #2 and planning my VBAC, that was a big concern of mine...not going into labor on my own by 40/41 weeks.
At my 40 week prenatal appointment, I was still pregnant, but dilated to 3cm, which was good. She scheduled me for an appt a week later when I was going to be 41 weeks and said we would need to talk about doing something (some kind of induction) if I hadn't gone into labor by 41 weeks.
Luckily for me, I went into labor on my own at 40w3d and had a beautiful VBAC....so induction was never an issue.

Having said all that....I think the biggest thing is that you don't need to worry yourself to death about it. You WILL go into labor when your body is ready. They cannot force you into a c-section, that is YOUR decision. Don't let them make you think that you HAVE to have a c-section just b/c you reach your due date. You don't.

I would insist on at least 41 weeks before doing anything about it. And then, I would insist that they at give you a shot at induction before just going straight to the scalpel.

June 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Ive always wondered.....could you go to a different doctor ( practice) and lie about your EDD? Like push it back a week?
That way, when they think your really 40 weeks...your infact 41.

Im sorry you have to even deal with this. I never realized how lucky i was to have a truely supporitve VBAC OB. I had to switch OB's within the practice to find a good one though, the one i started with, claimed she was pro vbac...but started back peddling around 28 weeks...which is when i decided to switch and not look back, lol.

keep fighting for it, and keep researching, maybe if you go in with all the knowledge, it will throw them off a bit and let you make some decisions for yourself.
I would not have stayed with an OB that would not induce before a csection. But that is just me.
June 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
I had the same issue with my last pregnancy. After 2 successful VBACS (but they were induced), my OB of 9 years suddenly opposed VBACs. he agreed to let me vbac only since I had already had 2 successful VBACs and ONLY if I went into labor on my own by 39 weeks. Well I hadn't despite everything I tried to get labor going naturally so a c-section it was. I was too naive and in love with my ob to question it. It's actually that 2nd c-section now that is causing me to have trouble convincing my new ob to let me VBAC this time. She is all for VBAC, but not VBA2C.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

June 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man! That's no good. The stress of a time limit is so hard to deal with. I know you said you're not confrontational, but maybe at your next appointment you can ask what evidence based info makes them conclude that it has to be 40w or c/s. I would insist on twice a week NST's after 40 weeks, and as long as baby looks good, to leave you alone. But no vaginal checks.

My Ovulation Chart
June 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Veteran
I agree with pp on finding out why your ob is stuck with the 40 wk mark. My ob said they'd let me go to 41 wk then did a sono to check fluid levels and biweekly NST's and as long as those were fine let me go up to 42 wks. I had absolutely nothing going on at 41 wks. I was only 1.5 cm and 50% effaced. I got up at 41 wks 1 day in mild labor, water broke at 4:30 pm, and delivered just after midnight. So just because nothing is going on at 40 wks doesn't mean you can't or won't go on your own.

I would talk seriously with your dr and if they aren't willing to work with you it might be worth switching. I switched at 34 wks because my previous dr wouldn't tell me if he had a time limit and seemed kinda wishy-washy. It was the best decision I could have made.
June 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just want to say keep fighting for what you want. Don't let them force you in to something you are against.
June 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Tofu Bacon
I would hang in there; they can't make you have a c-section and they can't drop you as a patient at that point. I love how they treat a due date like its an expiration date.
June 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally feel for you. I was going to a midwife with my last pregnancy and once they told me (at 28 wks) that I had to schedule a c/s for 40 wks if I didn't go into labor before then. I switched to an OB and got to 40w3d. I wasn't making any progress and ended up with a repeat c/s.

Good Luck. I wish you and baby all the best.
Mama to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and Adeline.
Human to Jeyne the Redbone Coonhound.

<3 Autism Advocate <3 Babywearer <3 Blogger <3 Nerd <3 Bookworm <3
June 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I feel for you, i was induced at 41wks3days as i was too 'overdue', and being niave i said ok cuz i wanted my baby out, ended up with a c/s because she was not ready. Thankfully i went on to VBAC my next only 2 days after her due date. With my 3rd birth which i had planned at home with a different midwife from my first 2 births my biggest question for her when i interviewed her was what was her views on going overdue, i must have known i would go overdue even then. I went to 42wks4days with my son and birthed him at home, OBs were hounding my midwife but she was wonderful. Its up to you if you turn up at the hospital for the c/s they cant force you, just say you forgot hehe.

Last edited by Fadeless; June 19th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
June 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was your first baby breech? If so and if you really are worried about this one being breech, you should start seeing a Webster trained chiropractor now. I had 3 breech babies, one c-section, two external versions. My fourth baby got into a head down position on her own after seeing the chiro. I started at 23 weeks and she didnt turn until 36.5 weeks.

If there is reason to believe the situation could repeat itself, then by all means start working on it now.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
Jaci's Avatar I AM a Doula :)
What I did to keep my OB from pressuring me was explain that a trial of labor was very important to me. I wanted to go into labor on my own. She did ask at my 39 week appointment if I'd schedule a c/s during an opening she had the next Monday and I refused. I was actually quite lucky, it was around Thanksgiving so she had no room to squeeze me in until black Friday, so I didn't see her again until almost 41 weeks and truth be told, I skipped that appointment My water broke that morning and I didn't want them trying to force me to stay in the hospital.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggie!

Our Family Blog
June 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
What I did to keep my OB from pressuring me was explain that a trial of labor was very important to me. I wanted to go into labor on my own. She did ask at my 39 week appointment if I'd schedule a c/s during an opening she had the next Monday and I refused. I was actually quite lucky, it was around Thanksgiving so she had no room to squeeze me in until black Friday, so I didn't see her again until almost 41 weeks and truth be told, I skipped that appointment My water broke that morning and I didn't want them trying to force me to stay in the hospital.
I'm glad it worked out for you! I am due Thanksgiving day. Lol I have considered things like skipping my 39 and 40 week appointments. "Something came up and I need to cancel... hmmm no days are good for me until December..." We will see when the time comes. I am really hoping I will go naturally before 40 weeks, but deep down I feel doubtful.

I am trying my best to stay positive about either out come. I really want a VBAC and will fight and do what it takes to try to make it possible... but if I do end up with a c-section I don't want it to crush me. So I'm trying to think of positive things about a c-section. Like.... um... well... at least I would get to take advantage of the call button at the hosptial longer so I can have juice brought to me 24/7. Truthfully I will be disappointed if I have a c-section, but I think it will be easier since I have experienced it before and know more of what to expect. Thanks for all of your ideas and support ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search