Log In Sign Up

I want to VBAC but..

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,249
My doctor said her insurance will not allow her to VBAC her patients do to medical malpractice lawsuits if something goes wrong during VBAC resulting in emergency c-section.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I had 4 vaginal deliveries before having a c-section (two of which were completely natural)- so I know my body can do it. The only reason my last child was a c-section was due to placenta previa.

There is no medical reason for me to have a c-section this time.

12 years ago, the hospital let my mom VBAC at age 43 when she had my sister. Now the hospital is saying they have changed their policy and do not allow vbac, either.

I know I could go to a different facility, and there is another hospital that allows VBAC, but my concern is if something DID go wrong, I don't want a doctor that I don't know to do an emergency c-section, especially not when I've had the same Doctor for 8 years and I do trust her.

My husband is scared for me to try the VBAC, he just wants me to go with the scheduled c-section on September 19.

I do not think I am going to make it to September 19, and am hoping that I'll go into labor and labor at home long enough to not have time for a c-section when I get to the hospital. Maybe that's silly, I dunno.

I have read about women who successfully delivered by HVBAC, but I'm just not brave enough to try that yet.

Any suggestions or thoughts?


Reply With Quote
July 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
I would find a new doctor. I would also challenge the hospital with the new ACOG VBAC recommendations. The insurance company should NOT be dictating the practice of medicine. Evidence based medicine should be the norm, not fear. Your doctor and the hospital do not have YOUR best interest in mind. I personally would not trust a doctor that cared more about the bottom line than my health.
A Cesarean Consent Form for the OB to Sign Bring a copy of this to your next appointment. I bet the doctor will refuse to sign it. At that point tell them you refuse to have a c-section.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
July 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 6,500
I would also refuse, and find a new doc. Personally I would go for the home birth but that is me. you have done it before there no reason you should further scar your uterus because of a doctor's use of defensive medicine. You are a perfect canidate for vbac.

Reply With Quote
July 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
You cannot be FORCED into any medical procedure. They cannot stop you from doing a VBAC if that's what you choose. The doctor can, however, choose to have someone else treat you. I'd ask for something in writing that shows WHERE VBAC's are not allowed in her malpractice policy and also where in hospital policy it says VBAC births are not allowed. Then if it's actually there, I'd probably find someone new. She had to have paid for and signed for that policy and surely she read it before she did so, therefore it's partly her decision (not just the insurance company) to forgo VBAC births in her practice.

Something to think about! But dont' forget no matter what, NO MEDICAL procedure can be done without your consent.
Mom to many

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
July 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,249
Thanks for the replies.

I've been reading everything on ICAN's website and even found my hospital on their VBAC Ban hospital list. The hospital said they weren't sure what they would do in an instance where a woman refused consent to a c-section, so I'm guessing no one has challenged them before.

I've worried myself sick over this. I can't eat, barely sleep, and cry a lot when I think I may have a repeast c-section.

There's also some fear that I'll labor and still end up with a c-section due to an emergency.

I hate that I'm even thinking about switching providers, because I do feel my Dr is wonderful. From what I've found, none of the doctors in the area will attend a VBAC - so I in that instance i don't know who would deliver me???

With the last baby, when the c-section was the only option, the staff was extremely supportive and my OB and the nurses ALL came in to pray with us before we went to the OR. I pretty much demanded that, and the nurses even put it on my chart that I refused to go to OR without prayer time first.

I hope ya'll won't laugh, but I'm a Christian, and so is my Doctor. I had prayed for a Christian Doctor that was a Woman when I found out we were having our third child, and then we learned shortly after that about my Doctor I have now. I even know where she attends Church, etc. This is why it's difficult for me to just say, "I'm switching doctors".

Right now, my short term game plan is to go to my Tuesday appt armed with all the information I've gleaned about patient rights, my right to refuse a repeat c-section, and my rights to have an active say in my medical treatment.

I'm also going to ask her if we can have a second ultrasound (she only does one at 20 weeks unless there's complications) to make sure there is NO medical reason for a c-section - because I do want to be sure I'm not putting my baby at risk.

I really want to be able to make an informed decision before I switch doctors and facilities, but I'm running out of time. My c-section is already scheduled for 8 weeks from now.

In the meantime I'm stressed out and highly emotional about it and I know none of that can be good for my baby.

ETA: I have learned that the doctors associated with the other hospital DO NOT take my insurance, so that's causing a problem, too.

Last edited by Babymakes8; July 23rd, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
July 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,645
let us know how your appt goes!

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
August 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 8,446
My midwifery practice has changed their VBAC policy - well technically their backup OBs changed it for them. They want to schedule me for a ERCS on my due date and if I go into labor before then, I can try for a VBAC. Like you, I also can't find another provider up here who will take me and also takes my insurance. So I'm going along with it.......as far as they know. The last appt before the c/s date I plan to say "I've thought about this. I've prayed about this. It's not the right choice for me or my baby. I know this puts you in a bad spot, and I'm sorry about that. But I won't be having a ERCS." There is NOTHING they can do about it. By law your OB must treat you for another 30 days after deciding she doesn't want to be your doctor (some states it's 90!) and no hospital is permitted to turn away a woman in active labor. Get the name of the meanest scariest malpractice attorney in town and tell them (if you encounter any trouble) that you will be happy to call him and have him come document your VBAC in the parking lot if they refuse to treat you. The reason they don't know what they'd do if someone refused is because there is NOTHING they can legally do. The only reason VBAC bans exist in the first place is because we as women haven't been standing up for our own rights. JUST SAY NO.

But wait until you're less than 30 days from delivery to do it

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
Reply With Quote
August 12th, 2011, 02:51 PM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,645
Danielle, I love you! great response

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
August 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,343
That is tough.... I'm so sorry you're in that position. I like what Danielle said, although it's unfortunate it would have to come to that. I would do everything in my power, even if finding a new physician was involved, or driving an hour or so to find someone... Your doctor may be awesome, but that can't supersede what you know is best.

I am a Christian too... and I think it's wonderful for everyone to participate in the pre-OR prayer... but honestly, if you had to be with people you weren't familiar with in the chance of an emergency.... relying on strangers to pray for you isn't what's important. YOUR prayers and YOUR faith and the prayers of your family are what you should put your faith in. You pray for THEM... And believe that God has his hands on them. I am honestly careful in who I ask to pray for me... because IDK what kind of negative spin they may put on it.... what kind of doubt or backwards thinking..... KWIM? But I will be praying for you and your situation and for God to make a way!
Bri, wife to Kirk, & mother of Aidan Troy , Callen Rhys,

and introducing Julia Pearl
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0