Log In Sign Up

Anyone have an induced, medicated VBAC?

Forum: VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
xMama2Fourx's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 159
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and hoping to get some input if possible!

Here's a little back history-

I had had 3 previous vaginal births–all were induced with pitocin, all had epidurals, waters never broke on their own, and all had episiotomies. None came out easy, especially #3-I didn’t know until after, but we experienced shoulder dystocia–HER weight was 9 lbs 1 oz @ 41 weeks. She came out with breathing difficulties that they thought was a result of the SD, but it is a totally unrelated neurological condition that she was just born with.
Because of all this, when I became pregnant with #4 four months later, they immediately shouted "csection!" and wouldn’t hear anything else about it. I felt bullied and cornered into a section, but I didn’t know my options. Had the section. Everything was fine.
Now I am pregnant with #5. As soon as I got the positive pregnancy test, I KNEW I would shoot for a vbac. I hated having a csection for many reasons–main one being how invasive it was. I have a Dr. that is willing to do a TOLAC (who is an hour away from me–local hospital has a ban), but wants to induce at 39 weeks to avoid another big baby.
I was comfortable with that, until I started to do my research on chances of uterine rupture. Now, I feel very discouraged and fearful. I have a LOT stacked against me–prior shoulder dystocia, prior cesarean, planned induction, planned epidural.
Am now beginning to think that a csection, now matter how horrible I think it is and how much I dislike it, might be the safer option for my baby. I just don’t know.

Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks so much!!

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,398
I don't have any personal experience with induced vbacs, but just wanted to say good luck and that I'll be praying for you. I will say though, there are other methods to induce labor where pitocin isn't necessary. Why were you induced for your other deliveries if you don't mind me asking?
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2014, 07:16 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: York, pa
Posts: 4,235
My midwives won't induce with meds, so I have no experience with that. I have heard of other vbac ladies that have been induced with low doses of pitocin and didn't have any problems. Like said above, there are other methods to try to induce before using pitocin, like membrane sweeps and foley bulb. Maybe you could ask your dr about trying another method before going to pitocin? As for the epidural, I did have one with my vbac, I got it after 50 hours of labor (25 of that was active labor) and was at 10cm..I was still successful and it caused no issues for me.
Reply With Quote
April 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the mountain state
Posts: 11,860
my second VBAC was induced.

I still did it with out pain meds. My water broke before the pitocin was administered.

The pitocin was turned on at about 1pm. I delivered at 5:37. Didn't really feel any major contractions until about 4pm.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Reply With Quote
April 4th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 6,042
I haven;t researched since my last (who is 9yo) but everywhere I read stated that inducing with a vbac is dangerous. Most hospitals won't do it.
I also have issues delivering and tried for a vbac... waited my little man out until I gave in and c/s at 42 week 5 days.
I sincerely hope you go into labor on your own and have a fabulous birth!!!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

Reply With Quote
April 20th, 2014, 07:23 PM
sunqueen's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: La Paz, Bolivia
Posts: 744
I was induced with my second child after a c-section with my first. Was induced 10 days before due date - doctors explanation for not waiting was that he didn't want baby to be too big. Hated the induction itself but obviously not the result :-) Was induced at around 20h00 and Kian was born at around23h35....with a little help from the forceps at the end.

Reply With Quote
April 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 47
I was induced with my second daughter on week 37 due to high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.

I really wanted to have a vaginal birth after the first csection with my first daughter (this one was planned because she was breech). I labored with Pitocin and no epidural (they didn't connect it properly) for 22 hours before I had to still go in for a csection

I am prego with #3 and its a definite csection this time.
Reply With Quote
April 28th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 215
My first child, my water broke at 37 weeks after 2 + days of no progression, even with pitocin, and risk of infection I agreed to a c-section. Everything went smooth.

With my second I was sure I wanted a Vbac, felt it would be better for the baby and I wanted to experience a vaginal birth. I think I felt a bit cheated of that experience with the section. I had an epidural & was close to 9 cm and my uterus ruptured, I was raced to an emergency csection(thank God my doctor was checking me moments after I ruptured). My son was outside my womb and the placenta was detached. He was resuscitated and incubated, put in the nicu, though after much time and testing he is fine.

I read all the statistics and never thought I could be part of that small percentage of ruptures. I'm not telling you to not attempt a vbac, just to make sure you have the upmost trust in the doctors and hospital you are delivering in. And make sure you explore the reasons you are attempting it. For me it was more for myself, and now I feel a bit selfish I placed my son in that situation. Do not under any circumstances allow them to use anything that may induce your labor. The risk of rupture is so much greater. Most woman have successful healthy vbacs. There are also risks to c-sections. I guess when I was researching this I wish I was able to discuss this with people who experienced the other side and that's why I'm telling you my story. I'm currently expecting twins and will be having an early csection to avoid labor.

Best of luck in whatever way you chose to deliver
Reply With Quote
December 6th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Kinsma90's Avatar Impatiently Waiting
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NWLA
Posts: 1,042
Many studies and guidelines suggest that non-excessive pitocoin in a TOLAC/VBAC is fine. My hospital uses pit, but no other induction drugs (cervix ripening, etc) in a VBAC and they have an 80% success rate, meaning only about 20% of women who go for a VBAC wind up needing a c-section. Not that 20% have complications. It's higher than the national average. I am scared of rupture, but everything I have read has shown a greater risk in maternal death from a repeat c-section than a VBAC. Yes, I felt cheated out of my labor and that does contribute some to my desire for a VBAC, but the main reason is that so many studies show that it is safer than a second c-section.
Feb 2012 DDC - Jan 2015 DDC - TTCMA Grad
Met DH 2006 NTNP. Engaged 1/1/07 TTC. Married 9/2007 ATTC.
1660 Days Later: BFP 05/24. EDD 3/2. Dx ICP @ 31wk5d. DD born @ 36w0d.
NTNP 2/12. TTC 7/2012. ATTC 1/2013. TTCMA 01/2014.
790 Days Later: BFP 4/24. EDD 1/6. Dx ICP @ 32wks. DS born @ 37w5d.
We were WTTC(MA) until 2019. Whoops!

Reply With Quote
December 9th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,134
My midwife has said that in my case, they will only go through with VBAC if labor begins and progresses naturally. I think membrane stripping and foley bulb are both possible options, and they'll consider other natural ways of stimulating labor, but no Pit. They seem to make the decision on a case-by-base basis, which seems appropriate given that every pregnancy, and every VBAC, is different.
Kinsma90 likes this.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0