Information

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran
Hi, my name is Traci and my husband Andrew is thinking about joining the army. I've read a bunch of different sites where some women like being army wives and others don't. What are your opinions? Also as an army wife are you allowed to work off base? Can you go to school? We have a daughter that will be 2 on April 5th. Just any information that you could give me would be wonderful!
January 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
bubsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I, for one, love being an Army wife. yes, you can work off post, you can go to school, nothing really changes for you other than the fact that you are sometimes far away from your family (sometimes you get lucky and are stationed close) and your husband is sometimes gone for long periods of time. DH has been in for 13 years this March, so if you have any more questions, just PM me. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Good luck to you.
January 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Cynthia pretty much answered your questions. I personally Love being an army wife. Yes deployments suck and trying to go to school is tuff when your a military wife with kids. But working and going to school are things you are more than able to do. There are a lots of on post Child Development Centers. They charge you based on what your total family income is.

January 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
Cythnia pretty much answered your question. Your life will pretty much be the same, the only difference is being away from your family and you're dh having to go on deployments or work long hours.

January 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran
Thank you so much. As army wives would you rather work or be a stay at home mom?
January 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
bubsmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Me, personally, I love staying home. I have been a SAHM ever since our son was born. I am so very greatful to have that opportunity. I don't like having to start a new job in a new place every time we move, and honestly I just got burned out on medical office stuff (that's all I did for almost 10 years). Now I may, when ds starts school do something part time, just because I don't want to be home by myself, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Still have a couple years to go lol. I think it's just all your own personality.
January 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You have to be prepared to deal with long hours at work, long seperations, and with being prepared to do a lot of things without husband including the possibility of giving birth (if you so choose to have more kids).
You get health care on post if you so choose and it is not out of pocket, but that can be hit or miss in quality. And you are very limited on what services you can get there sometimes.

You can also see the world, or even just the US on the Governments orders non the less.
You have a steady paycheck that may not go up all the time, but never goes down, and you wont have to worry about the pink slip out of the blue.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search