Deployment question!! Please help!!

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Dono92000
This is more a question about my friend than it is me. Our husbands are being deployed to Iraq. They are in the Navy. They are going to Al Asad Airbase in Iraq. I did some looking on the internet and I know the living conditions and such. And they have a center on base for internet use and phone use. It's one center for the whole base. I'm looking for some input from girls who's husbands have been to bases in Iraq or Afghanistan. Anyway.......My friend is under the impression that her husband is going to call her every other day and have internet at work to email her all the time. My husband seems to think that this may not be true. They may not have internet at work. He doesn't know. I told her today that I'm not counting on hearing from my husband very often. She thinks that her husband will do whatever he needs to do to talk to her everyother day even if that means standing in line for a phone for hours on end. I'm just wondering how realistic her expectations are. I can't imagine he's going to have that kind of time. When her husband was in japan they would talk on the phone limke 3 times a day and she thinks it's going to almost be like that. I'm not sure how it is over there as far as communication goes.... but I have a feeling she's going to be in for a rude awakening. When he was on the boat for 14 days she didn't talk to him for almost a week and she started freaking out. I'm not looking forward to dealing with this while he's in Iraq!! LOL Let me know what you girls think!! PLEASE!!!
January 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM
7/07Mommy
Well, my DH was at Camp Fallujah, and even though he was patrolling outside the wire every day, he still called and IM'd me every night when he got back to base. I also had a friend whose DH was at Al Asad, and he also called her almost every day.
I don't think it's ever something that any of us should count on though. Some guys are too tired or just don't want to call home very often for whatever reason. Some of the wives in my DH's unit only got a call from their husbands once a month, if that.
Your friend may be setting herself for a disappointment if she goes into this deployment expecting a daily call. I would just gently remind her that she shouldn't worry too much if he isn't able to call every day.
Good luck!
January 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Dono92000
Well we know for a fact that they won't have internet in their rooms. I think even if he told her.....she still wouldn't believe him. AHHHH!!!! LOL Thanks for your imput girls!!!

Quote:
My friend was up in Balad, and they had internet in their trailers, so he had access whenever he wanted, but the phone was a hike and a line.....I think your friends husband needs to sit her down and explain the reality of it...Maybe it will come better from him, and you wont have to listen to her whine....Sheeshh Navy wives....ahahahahahha[/b]
January 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
I've had a couple friends get daily phone calls and emails from their husbands while they were in the desert. However, they are Air Force.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Umm... Ashley... SHHHHHHH we don't want to give out our secrets... Sorry if you work anything with Comm people and you get to know them... they will hook your internet up in your room... I had 2 lan lines in my little section

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i dont want to be the opsec nazi but mentioning location of the base is a nono.

February 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Quote:
i dont want to be the opsec nazi but mentioning location of the base is a nono.[/b]
You read my mind.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
My hausband is data, and he does get to email, but not alot. And he does not call alot simply becasue he is tired and i understand that. He calls enough that i dont worry and emails to let me know he is ok. I like that he does not call everyday... It makes the times he does call that much more special.

(I feel so awkward posting! I dont want you guys to feel like I am butting in, but i gotta start somewhere! )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search