How did you ....

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
klfc28
Ok, ladies. I know that I am jumping the gun big time here, but its just my nature. I am a planner. I like to be ahead of the game.

As you know, DH and I are trying to conceive our 1st. And I think it might happen soon! Either the cycle I am on now or the next when we start Clomid. So I am working on our registry. Since we will need everything, there is a lot to research and decide on, and thats mainly why I don't want to wait till we actually conceive to do this. I know its crazy and way ahead of the ball, but I just can't help myself. I have no one to help me out with any of this. My mom had kids 30 yrs ago, a lot has changed since then! So she is at a loss and even had to leave the toy store from the pressure! Even though she has gone through some of it with my nephew, she is not comfortable giving me too much advice on specific stuff. And my SIL won't help me, she is way unorganized and has poor time management to fit time in for me.

So - here is my question -

How did you decide on what nursery bedding to pick? I keep looking at it all and just can not decide!!
How about the furntiure?

I am so lost on some of this stuff!

Thanks in advance ladies!
February 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Vickey
the crib we got converts to a full size bed its grows with the child, Since we didn't know if we were going to have other kids we wanted something that wont just be used for a few years. So i think the best cribs are the ones thats grow with the child.

bedding wise...I just let DH pick it out. They cost soooooooo much and I could not find one I really liked or feel in love with. So he picked it and I just worked with it to decorate.

Since my mom just had a kid 2 years ago, that made it a little easyer, she knows what was good on the market now plus she also had good insite one the stuff that just really isn't needed, cause they didn't have it 21 years ago.

I am still trying to pick things out...but I feel so over whelmed by it all
February 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
klfc28
Thanks Vickey!

Yeah I was leaning towards the convertable cribs that has a little style to it, but the color of wood and which one to pick is driving me batty!

I just may end up DH picking out the bedding. He told me today it can't be white.

I can't imagine being as far along as you are and still picking things out. I feel beyond overwhelmed already!

Thats great that your mom can help you out a lot. I wish mine could...

I can't wait to see what your little one looks like when its born!!! Do you know if its a boy or girl yet? Are you going to find out?
February 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Veteran
Hehe---jumping the gun is an understatement!! I am quite the procrastinator, I wasn't ready for a baby to come home until my last month of pregnancy I think.

It was very difficult! We selected bedding that was quality and could go for a boy or girl(because we want 4+ kids and want to reuse as much as possible). Also, make sure to check for safety issues with potential purchases---just because they sell it for babies---doesn't mean it is up to regulations! I love our crib bedding, but it is sort of 'cross stich' in places--some of those threads have come out, presenting a possible choking hazard.

As for cribs, we shook all of the ones we looked at, a lot of cribs(mainly the cheaper ones) are pretty wobbly which I didn't like. We got one that the side doesn't lower. I liked them better personally. If you are shorter, I wouldn't recommend those.

Furniture---we had some already that just happened to match her crib. I prefer the long low dressers for diaper changing tables. One less item to cram in baby's room. You just have to buy a changing mat that straps onto the top.

Also---in Walmart--they have small bookcase looking things in the closet organization section. They are cute and perfect for baby's animals and books and stuff. Just the right size, not too heavy, cute and best of all --much cheaper than anything labeled "baby's room furniture"
February 4th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Vickey
Quote:
I can't wait to see what your little one looks like when its born!!! Do you know if its a boy or girl yet? Are you going to find out?[/b]
its a boy!!! I so can't wait either...it seems so far away yet its only like 10 weeks. I still have my baby shower so I have been waiting to see what I get and then go buy everything I didn't get. I love to snoop at my registry and see what I am going to get for the baby hehe!

We jiggled all the cribs too...the one we have is from storkcraft and a lighter caramel wood color. It was just about the only crib that did not feel like it was going to fall appart. Its not pressed wood, or laminated wood. So go for the solid wood ones.

oh another things that my mom just loves for toys are those folding mesh laundry baskets. They come in a ton of different colors and you can see what toys are in the bottom plus there are no sharp corners for the baby to bump its head on.
February 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
klfc28
Hee hee!! I know, my mom thinks I am crazy for already working on this! But its how I am. I had the majority of my wedding stuff done 6 months before the day.

In regards to the changing table --- is one that sits in better than the ones with just 3 sides? I am so paranoid over the ones with 3 sides and open in the front. Am I worrying too much? Probably am....

I totally forgot about checking out safety ratings.. I have been going off customer reviews...

I am only 5'3", so I think I would need one where the side goes down... I do have long arms but DH has short arms! LOL!

Quote:
its a boy!!! I so can't wait either...it seems so far away yet its only like 10 weeks. I still have my baby shower so I have been waiting to see what I get and then go buy everything I didn't get. I love to snoop at my registry and see what I am going to get for the baby hehe!

We jiggled all the cribs too...the one we have is from storkcraft and a lighter caramel wood color. It was just about the only crib that did not feel like it was going to fall appart. Its not pressed wood, or laminated wood. So go for the solid wood ones.

oh another things that my mom just loves for toys are those folding mesh laundry baskets. They come in a ton of different colors and you can see what toys are in the bottom plus there are no sharp corners for the baby to bump its head on.[/b]

YEAH! Congrats!! Have you picked out a name?

I know I will be guilty of looking at the registry too!! LOL!!

Thats a good idea on the toy holder. I have not even thought of that kind of stuff yet!
February 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
*KeLLy*
How did you decide on what nursery bedding to pick?
When dh and I was preg with Bekah he was E2. We was umm broke is a nice way of putting it. We went with a fisherprice crib from walmart in a honey oak color and I bought winnie the pooh crib bedding that went for either sex also from walmart. I was able to catch the wall decorations etc on sale also.

With Hannah, we found out we was having a girl and I went with the bedding set from walmart the "Child of mine" solid pink set. I bought everything to match. It literally looked like a can of peptol bismol exploded in her room. LoL we also found a Graco convertable crib at walmart for a really good price. We used the same mattress from Rebekah.

How about the furntiure? I believe in buying stuff that will grow with ur child. I feel the big mistake women make is they get overly excited and go out and pay thousands of dollars for furniture that their goign to have to turn around and replace bc it doesn't convert. So what I did was I made my own.

I went to lowes bought unfinished chest that was about waist high and I bought a changing pad from Kmart and I nailed the changing pad straps to the back of the chest. And when my daughter got bigger I could remove it and use it for a chest. Also it was natural wood so I could stain it to any color to match my furniture or paint it. It was 80.00 and a great deal. I also bought a book shelf, unfinished and used it to store my supplies in while bekah/hannah was babies. It worked great. I paid 70.00 for it. They are still using it to this day.

I did a registry, but nobody never used it. I never got a shower bc nobody cared everything I got for my kids I paid for on my own dime so I think thats the reason I'm really frugal with spending for a baby and I make common sense purchases instead of impulse buys.
February 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Vickey
your not going to be leaving the baby on the changing table!!!!!! So I don't think it matters how many sides, im just using the weird counter outside of the bathroom in base housing...my mom used a card table painted to look cute.

Quote:
YEAH! Congrats!! Have you picked out a name?

I know I will be guilty of looking at the registry too!! LOL!!

Thats a good idea on the toy holder. I have not even thought of that kind of stuff yet![/b]

tyler mason!!! That took so long to pick out.
February 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
klfc28
Kel - I love the idea of making things yourself! If my dad was around I would have him make a lot of it, but thats not gonna happen. And I'm too lazy! But maybe DH would be up for some of that.....

Very true Vickey!! I am over thinking everything! And I don't know how to stop. I crack myself up sometimes! I like your setup - its so cute! Knowing the 3 sided ones will be good to go might help me choose furniture. I saw a couple that I liked.

What about a bath tub?? I would love not to get one, but not sure how else to go about it. Those things are bulky and not easily stored.

Thanks for answering my blubbering questions. I had no idea who to turn to, and then it dawned on me that you ladies would be perfect! I really appreciate it.

Very cute name!! Yeah we are having issues coming up with a boy's name.
February 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
*KeLLy*
Well, the stuff at Lowes came prepackaged and all u do is screw it together. So its very easy Now, I went to big lots and bought some pictures for the nursery, but the frames was UGLY so I had my dad build me some and they went from 5.00 pics to at least 50.00 they are absolutely gorgeous. You can get a lot of stuff for cheap and revamp it like I did w/ the picture frames u know?

And if I ever give good advice this is the ONE thing I tell everybody and some ppl listen.

When purchasing gear like strollers. DON"T and I repeat DON"T go for the coolest looking one. You go for the LIGHT WEIGHT ones. Reason being is when you've lugged a 35lb carrier around and you have to pull out at 55lb eddie bauer stroller from ur SUV or trunk your going to wish it was a 5lb light weight one. I have a tandem stroller and it only weighs 27lbs which at the time was the lightest on the market. I had a good friend buy Eddie Bauer and she regretted it. YES their cool and YES you get looks when u push it, but umm..save your back and ur wallet and buy a light weight one
February 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Vickey
try the resale shop on base too!!! and garage sales!!!! You would not believe the stuff people just want to get out of there house for dirt cheap!!!! I got a bassinet for $15!!!! and their child never used it so its practically brand new.

Those plastic "blue" bathtubs are not that pricey but I agree they are bulky like no other!!! Plus you don't use them that long. I have one friend who would just wash the baby in the normal tub or even the sink. Once they are sitting up on their own they are rather pointless. If someone gives me one I will use it, if not I will manage without it. Frankly i think the dog would try to drink out of it!!!
February 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
klfc28
Quote:
Well, the stuff at Lowes came prepackaged and all u do is screw it together. So its very easy Now, I went to big lots and bought some pictures for the nursery, but the frames was UGLY so I had my dad build me some and they went from 5.00 pics to at least 50.00 they are absolutely gorgeous. You can get a lot of stuff for cheap and revamp it like I did w/ the picture frames u know?

And if I ever give good advice this is the ONE thing I tell everybody and some ppl listen.

When purchasing gear like strollers. DON"T and I repeat DON"T go for the coolest looking one. You go for the LIGHT WEIGHT ones. Reason being is when you've lugged a 35lb carrier around and you have to pull out at 55lb eddie bauer stroller from ur SUV or trunk your going to wish it was a 5lb light weight one. I have a tandem stroller and it only weighs 27lbs which at the time was the lightest on the market. I had a good friend buy Eddie Bauer and she regretted it. YES their cool and YES you get looks when u push it, but umm..save your back and ur wallet and buy a light weight one [/b]

That is so funny! I picked out a lightweight stroller because that was the only kind they offered in the pattern I wanted and I was second guessing it!! Now I know I will keep it on my list! Thank you.

Quote:
try the resale shop on base too!!! and garage sales!!!! You would not believe the stuff people just want to get out of there house for dirt cheap!!!! I got a bassinet for $15!!!! and their child never used it so its practically brand new.

Those plastic "blue" bathtubs are not that pricey but I agree they are bulky like no other!!! Plus you don't use them that long. I have one friend who would just wash the baby in the normal tub or even the sink. Once they are sitting up on their own they are rather pointless. If someone gives me one I will use it, if not I will manage without it. Frankly i think the dog would try to drink out of it!!![/b]

Not sure if our base has a resale shop - its a dinky crappy base.

I could imagine the dogs trying to drink out of it. I think I might just skip out on the tub and just get one of those seats for when they are sitting up that you stick in the tub.
February 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
*KeLLy*
Your welcome. A lot of ppl don't take that advice. . then I get a phone call going.. YOU WAS RIGHT!

Also, diaper genies don't work. They do when the baby is small, but as the diapers get bigger they stop holding in the smell. I found if you stock up on walmart plastic bags. Keep them in ur nursery when baby is small like in a drawer or you can make you one of those bag holders and pull one out and throw ur diaper in it.. wrap it around it a few times and it creates a good nappy bag. They also help keep the smell down at the fraction of the cost of a diaper genie. umm I'm trying to think of any other tips I have for you to help save money. If you really want to save money, you can skip buying a 50+ $$ carrier and just buy a really nice grow with me car seat. Both of my daughters have Eddie Bauer car seats that goes from 5-80lbs. It costed 235.00 for each car seat, but I skipped the cost of the carrier/base and all that jazz and I feel honestly its better for my child than those flimsy carriers. Plus if u buy from AAFES.com they ship for free

Vickey was right about the thrift stores on base. A lot of the women who consign are officers wives who really don't care what they loose as long as they get rid of it. So normally you can find tommy, ralph lauren etc from there for dirt cheap. I get a lot of my kids clothes from there and Old Navy if you search the clearance rack you can sort of plan-ahead and get things for as cheap as 50 cents.

When we know we're about to have a baby, everytime we go to the grocery store we buy a pack of diapers. By the time baby gets here, we have a whole stock pile

Thats about all I can think of. I have my own recipe for diaper rash ointment too if u want it
February 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Vickey
i like to also check out other people's regisrtys and see what they are getting, I was lost when I made mine but after looking at other people's it gave me a good jump start. Also target has alot of products that people review and they are helpful most of the time. Plus once you are pregnant and talking to other pregnant people you can bounce ideas off each other. they are coming out with new things all the time its so hard to keep up with things, but I think the tried and tested tradtional things are the best!
February 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Veteran
KELLY----haha BAN the diaper genies!! Mine wouldn't twist after a while, and my neighbors either. Ugh, they were annoying. I usually just tossed them in the trash.
February 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Vickey
Oh I keep thinking of things....I hate plastic high chairs!!!! My mom used the eddie b. solid wood one, slightly more pricey but the dog can't tip it over like he could the plastic ones, it cleans up easy and it last alot longer and can be passed down. She is sending it to me to use since my sis is growing out of it.

Whipes are cheaper at walmart then the commissary, don't know why but they are.

Those glider chairs suck!!!!!! for about $250!!!! they are not at the right hight for the arm rest to breastfeed. We got a lazyboy type rocking chair/recliner for $350 cost a little more but goes with our furniture and is much more comfortable. I sleep in it now and it helps with my back pain
February 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
klfc28
I had the Diaper Champ on my registry but thinking of dropping it and just buying a regular trash can or something.... that one uses any bags but not sure if its still worth getting. I know I don't want one that you have to buy special bags for. Thats retarded.

I was debating the whole rocker glider thing. I have not found one I like yet. Maybe I will look at furniture stores instead for like one you said - lazyboy or something.

I still need to pick out a convertible car seat. and have the infant/base one already on there.

I am second guessing my highchair. I might take it off for now and just wait to get it when it comes to that time. I picked one that matches my pattern but not fully likeing it.

I put the Dr. Brown's bottles on my registry -- thoughts on those???
February 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Vickey
I know my mom likes nipples like these...But i think its trial and error with each baby. and just normal gerber bottles...

http://www99.epinions.com/Gerber_Original_...es_2510_Bottles
February 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
*KeLLy*
That stupid diaper genie was a waste of my money!! ugh. ALong with half of the other crap these manufacturers suckered me into buying.. I wonder if I can protest

I'm gonna tell u something..

a bottle is a bottle I don't care how fancy they try to sell it too you. It serves the same purpose, to feed and nourish a child.

I went with the evenflo glass bottles. In my first pregnancy I bought the expensive playtex crap, yea waist of money my daughter didn't even like them so I had to buy a whole NEW set.

At biglots they sell the glass evenflow bottles for 2.99 for 4 of the 8oz and 8 of the little 4oz's for 4.99. I bought those and then went and bought clear nuk nipples since that is the only thing my daughter would take. It costed me WAY less and it served the same purpose a 5.99 bottle would cost. Plus, the glass in my opinion I felt I could sterilize and well I like old-timey things. I cloth diapered my second one bc we couldn't find disposable diapers that would work with Hannah's bottom.

As for the high chair, I have a John Lennon style high chair. It has a very wide leg base and easy to remove tray. I got it from AAFES.com for like 50.00 I think and it has never once tipped with my kids. It also has 5 height adjustments and reclines.

None of the stuff I have matches, I didn't go for that with my first yes, but my second I realized that I needed it to serve a purpose and it necessarly didn't have to match.

So my pack in play I bought for the light weight and its ability to checked as baggage on a airplane. (very easy I have the graco kind) It is kind of heavy if u include the bassinet.

I bought a walker with my first, realized it was the biggest waste of money I've ever used.

Bought a bouncy seat, that was good up till they get too heavy for it (around 4 mos) I have the playskool touch bouncy has lil feet things on it. Costed like 39.99 from aafes i believe.

I also bought a travel swing to take with me on trips to my parents house. It works great for babies up to around 8 mos of age. After that it won't swing. That costed 59.99 ..honestly it was a waste of money

I have a graco silent swing open top style costed 60.00 and it was a great investment. It swings quietly and is built to access the baby easily w/o dumping out stuff and knocking their lil heads off.

Honestly,

I've found a boppy pillow and a blanket on the floor was more better than any piece of equipment or gear that I bought. The problem is, they sell this stuff to us like they sell purses, if it looks COOL we want it!! Problem is, the cooler it looks the less u'll probably use it.. so I've learned that much.

Also, before buying up bottles/ nipples etc you need to make sure your baby is going to like that. If you buy up a ton open them and sterilze them, and the baby won't suckle from them then ur pretty much screwed with expensive bottles/nipples. Thats what happened to me with my first. So I would be careful in buying those type of things.
February 5th, 2007, 04:07 AM
7/07Mommy
Thanks for starting this thread. This first-time-mom is learning a lot too.
We just ordered the crib yesterday. We got a 3-in-1 from Babycenter.com in a beautiful cherry color and the matching dresser. We figure that can work for either boy/girl. We're holding off on the bedding until we find out what we're having (on Valentine's Day).
We're having so much fun shopping for baby. I can't wait until I can buy clothes- I'm going to go crazy with that!

Good luck with everything!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search