Just about 6 weeks to go!!!

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Until we PCS for the 2nd time in 15 months! We're going on leave for 29 days before leaving, I just .... wow!

I can hardly believe it's almost time to leave.

The good news is I've already made about $145 selling stuff we don't need or aren't taking. YAY!

Any advice for PCSing overseas?? About anything .... my husband has never even been out of the country before, not even to Mexico, so ... this should be exciting!!!

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM
ahillo5
all i know is that it takes forever to get ur stuff!
February 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont have any advice, as Ive never even been to Canada I hope it goes smoothly for you!!

February 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Vickey
where are you going again?

Ship your stuff asap!!! you will be more happy to be without things now then when you get there. Or you could do what we did...take leave and then get there right when your things do too!
February 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice! But I wish we could be sent somewhere else! ha

February 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Quote:
where are you going again?[/b]
Okinawa (Japan).

What stuff would we ship? I'm taking all the important stuff with me (my makeup, haha ... and the carseats and clothes) ... we can live without everything else. Eat off paper plates, right?

How long does it usually take for stuff to ship overseas with the movers? We're going to have the stuff packed up at least a full month before we even leave for overseas (since we're going on leave pretty much a whole month before our flight over there), so it should be there relatively soon after we get there .... right?

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
klfc28
Ok, my experience might be a little different. I was with the State Dept, so there rules might be different.

But this is how it went for me.

I got authorized 250lbs airshipment (just 1 person) - I did my packout end of April/beginning of May (can't remember the exact date) - arrived in West Africa around May 12th. The next day my air shipment arrived. I packed extra clothes, bedding, pillows, and must haves in there.

My other stuff was sent via slow boat and did not get there till August. It had all my other items, plus I was allowed food since it was West Africa. It was about 1200lbs.

Seeing that you are going to Japan, there will be access to everything if you decide not to bring stuff.

Have you checked that they have American type outlets or are they a different voltage? That is important to know for your electronics. The mil base might have built everything to our standards, so I hope that is the case. If not, check on whether or not your tv, dvd, etc will work there if you are taking those items.

Will it be fully furnished? Can you put yours in storage if it is? Is is partially furnished?

Umm... I will have to think of other things....

Oh - I would avoid bringing anything so special that you would be afraid for it to be broken, especially if it can not be re-purchased. I had my mother store some items that were of value or non-replaceable.

Don't ship items that are super expensive either. It could be stolen.
February 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Vickey
it takes 22 days to ship to alaska...so im guessing a little longer then that but prob about the same. They put it on a boat for that too.
February 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have all my appliances with convertors... My microwave came from FMO... So I would ship what I could... It took 2 months for our stuff to get here... so SHIP it NOW! Make the appointment!

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Veteran
It took 2 months for our stuff to get from Hawaii to California. So I would ship soon! It was really annoying sleeping on an air mattress and that being the ONLY furniture that was anywhere in my house!
February 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
no advice here but im excited for you!

February 16th, 2007, 09:12 AM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
Quote:
Until we PCS for the 2nd time in 15 months! [/b]
Are you kidding?! We'll have to be at this base for SIX YEARS. Lucky you.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

February 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Until we PCS for the 2nd time in 15 months! [/b]
Are you kidding?! We'll have to be at this base for SIX YEARS. Lucky you.
[/b]
Yep, from what we're hearing ... if you get orders within the first year, you'll get overseas orders. If you don't, you'll be at the base at least 3 years. I've got friends here who have been here 4+ years. Needless to say, they were pretty jealous!

American and Japanese outlets are the same, from what I've told. I guess the only thing that won't work is alarm clocks. Somethiing about the frequency or something? I'm not sure.

As for furniture, the AF will give us anything we need - dressers, desks, bookshelves, couches, chairs, tables, etc. I believe they even give beds and mattresses, but I'll have to double check about the mattresses.

February 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They give you mattresses... Its called FMO... Furniture Management OFfice... I still have some of the stuff... But send your stuff girly... The alarms clocks won't work because of the delay in power.. and DON"T buy phones that are american or baby monitors... They will screw with the phone lines

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice but since I am pcsing overseas soon, i'm excited to see what advice you get!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search