Service Before Self

Forum: Military Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Military Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Veteran
To me this means--

Putting my life on hold while my dh is away
Being a single mom for the good of my country
Crying every night and fearing for my dh's life
Keeping negative thoughts to myself while dh is in danger
Keeping my dh as positive and happy as possible(not letting him feel guilty for having to leave, etc.)
Moving around frequently
Hearing my daughter cry 'dada' in her sleep over the baby monitor
Watching my daughter yell 'dada' to every camoflauged man she sees
And then watching her eyes fall when they walk right by

It means making all of these and more sacrifices in support of my husband and my country, all for something I haven't signed up for--but have cheerfully agreed to deal with.

All this done without much of a complaint is a huge sacrifice for my country.
February 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
To me this means--

Putting my life on hold while my dh is away
Being a single mom for the good of my country
Crying every night and fearing for my dh's life
Keeping negative thoughts to myself while dh is in danger
Keeping my dh as positive and happy as possible(not letting him feel guilty for having to leave, etc.)
Moving around frequently[/b]
to all that. Im new so I may think of some new things down the road

February 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
cupcake's Avatar Veteran
Sleeping in our bed, alone, night after night, cuddling with a pillow to help me sleep!

Watching our kids take their first steps, by myself, and running to grab the camera so daddy can "see" too!

Being understanding when he calls me and tells me he won't be home, cuz they got diverted AGAIN!

and double ditto to EVERYTHING Laura said!!
February 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Veteran
^LOL you just reminded me of our last deployment. I was CONSTANTLY on the camcorder recording everything for dh because he knew nothing about her. I practically slept with the thing.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM
*KeLLy*
Service before self to me means this:

Signing a piece of paper stating that you will die for something that you may not agree with, but your willing to fight for it to the end.

That's my interpretation of it

I wanted to add:

The first time we went thru a seperation I remember runnin to the bathroom to cry as hard as I could w/o my children seeing me. I know we've ALL done this!

My husband missed Hannah's first words and you'll never guess what she said..

Where's Daddy?

First time Ed heard that he cried so hard he couldn't stop. It's moments like this that breaks my heart into a bazillion pieces.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Veteran
^ I feel your pain.. The last deployment was the hardest of all so far. It was after Katrina and all kinds of horrible circumstances, then he left when she was a week old. My inlaws had to re-integrate me into the world. I stared at news coverage of katrina on tv all day from the time I got up till I went to sleep. I was so blank. I had no emotions. It was weird.

ETA: Elizabeth said her first word "dada" a week after he got home from a deployment.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with all that was said!!!

Just a quick note.. Ugh i felt so horrible tonight.. I always say daddy a lot to my son.. and show him pics and tell him its daddy.. Well i like to say "wheres daddy!" well tonight he pointed at my dad! I wanted to cry... rob left the day riley turned 7 months old...

February 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Veteran
^Don't take it personally. David was gone from the time Elizabeth was one week to 7 months. They catch on fast. At the age your son is at, they don't really understand it all. He probably wasn't saying that your dad was daddy, rather showing you a picture of someone he loves! Or he may think the word dada means 'family' or something.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
*KeLLy*
Yea don't take it personally. Ed was gone when Hannah was 3 mos old and didn't come back until she was Lord around 9 I think it was. She would scream and cry when he would hold her, but thankfully tha tonly lasted temporarily.
February 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Rachel81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah.. when my husband comes home for good ry will be practically 18 months!! I cant even imagine what he will be doing then!

February 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
*KeLLy*
He will have an adjustment period.. Don't freak out everything will go ok and he'll be sleeping in daddy's arms before u know it!!
February 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It means rising before the sun comes up with 2 sleepy girls... driving to the base to see the jets taxing on the runway...I see maintainers out on the flight line catching jets...
I see myself going into work putting an honest days work in....
I see going to fight for this country and leaving my two lovely daughters
I see standing there for all americans the ones that love us and hate us protecting their freedom just so some of them can bash us
I see my mother at home praying every night that the next following months I could come home... knowing it won't happen... I see me reminding her of what i do

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
February 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Service before self means not complaining when our husbands (or ourselves ) have to leave in the middle of the night for a recall.

It means understanding that the mission comes before dance recitals, plays, birthdays and even (sometimes horribly) childbirth.

It means taking a helluva lot of pictures and videos, and knowing that wherever our husband is, he wishes that he could actually give kisses and hugs instead of holding a screen or a photograph.

It means postponing holidays, birthdays and anniversaries to a time when you can celebrate together. It also means having pride about it.

It means standing tall and strong. It means taking care of it all, even if that means not being able to take a shower everyday or having everything in the house being put back immediately.

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

February 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Savages_Wifey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Savages_Wifey Send a message via MSN to Savages_Wifey Send a message via Yahoo to Savages_Wifey
wow I can add anything but this honestly made me cry... My son will be about 7 1/2 months old when my DH leaves for his first deployment... Hell be going on two deployments so by the time hes home for good Trenton will be 28 months old when all this is over... I dread having to do it all alone seeing all his first alone with a camera by my side... Hes already missed so much and Trenton is only a month old... It breaks my heart into a million pieces... He walked into the hospital room the night that his son was born and looked at the two of us and he just cried and it broke my heart because he was soo upset that he missed it... But I realize it pretty much means I need to be strong for my husband so that hes not freaking out and feeling bad... That I didnt sign for this but I wouldnt change it for the world because ths is what my DH wanted to do this was his dream... And I just have to remember to take the good with the bad...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search