Log In Sign Up

Matthew's Birth Story 12/18/06

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 885
His birth was a planned induction at 37 weeks.
My pregnancy had been somewhat complicated from about 20 weeks on. At the first ultrasound, they discovered I had Polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid). We had to do more tests to see if it was Gestational Diabetes, etc. And more ultrasounds. My OB even sent me to Maternal fetal medicine (a high risk OB) for a better ultrasound. Nothing was abnormal, except He was larger than normal for gestational age. My blood pressure was also getting higher from 20 weeks on, It was usually 140/90. I was put on bedrest about a month and a half before my due date in January.
At 35 weeks, I asked about induction. The OB jumped right on it and gave a date of December 18th. I had read online about inductions in first time mom's increasing the risk of c-section but assumed since I was dialating and effacing, (by 37 weeks, I was 60% effaced and 3 cm dialated) that my body was near ready to give birth anyways.

I was wrong. I went in at 6 am on 12/18/06. We did all the paperwork, etc. and started the pitocin drip at 7 am. Painful contractions started soon after. They HURT. But unfortunately, every exam showed I was not dialating more. I effaced more to about 70 or 80%, but no more dilation. I was getting frustrated that I was in pain, and nothing was happening and the nurses didn't seem to believe I was in real pain since "nothing" was happening. I asked for something for the pain, stadol (not sure about spelling) and I got some sleep for a little while. I woke up and the OB comes in after a while (it's about 1 pm) and says something about doing a c-section if there is no progress by the evening. I ask to hold off for a while, because I really didn't want to have a c-section. I wish I would have known that I could stop the induction and go home . Obviously, My body wasn't ready and matthew wasn't ready. She calls for an epidural, to see if it will relax me and maybe help my body to dialate. The doctor that comes in doesn't want to do the epidural..i can't remember why now..i think it's because my OB was so sure that it was going to be a c-section later on, so I didn't end up getting it.
Finally around 3:45 PM, I just wanted to get it over with. It was killing me laying in that bed with the monitors on not being able to move. Every time I tried to get comfortable, the EFM kept losing the baby and the nurses kept coming back in and making me move again.

They take me back for the section around 4:00 or so. My fiance (now husband) had to stay behind and get his scrubs on, etc. I was very nervous. I had never had even MINOR surgery before, and was about to have major abdominal surgery. The doctor who did the spinal was very nice and made jokes to help me feel more comfortable. That did not hurt nearly as much as I thought. They tied both my arms down (procedure, they said), and brought Wayne back. I was just ready to see my baby!

My OB started pressing on my stomach (that's what I thought was happening), I thought they were just feeling where the baby was, but she was actually cutting already. She didn't say here we go or anything like that. After a few minutes, they suck out the fluid, and i hear the doctor and nurse talking about how much there was, and then I hear a loud scream. It was Matthew. I cried because he sounded so good and strong. I guess he peed on the doctor right after she pulled him out.(haha), but she seemed to think that was good. They exclaim they were glad I didn't go to 40 weeks because he was so big. I was dying to see him by this time. I strain my head to see him on the table, that they measured and cleaned him off on. He was perfect, and bright red from head to toe, except his feet and hands were purple.
They finally get a hat on him. and clean him off. They said he weighed 8 lbs, 7 oz and was 20 1/2 inches tall. I was thinking when they said huge that he was over 9 lbs. for being born at 37 weeks, he was very healthy. His blood sugar was a little low, so they give him a bottle of glucose water even though I told them I was going to be breastfeeding!

Finally they bring me to see him, after I'm begging for them to bring him over to me. They hold him up to my face and I talk to him and tell him how glad I am to see him. I cry because wayne gets to hold him and I dont. . I still want to cry when I think about that.

I start to feel sick to my stomach, like I'm going to throw up and they take wayne and the baby to the nursery. I don't see him until about an 1 or so later, after recovery.

I have learned so much since Matthew's birth and hope that I can avoid all the interventions, etc, with this pregnancy. I wish I had been more informed.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0