Log In Sign Up

Isabella Jean's Birth Story - attempted 2nd VBAC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Posts: n/a
On October 17th, I decided to give castor oil a whirl again. It had worked with my other two to kick my labor into gear. I had been having contractions for days at this point, but nothing regular... they were 4 mins apart sometimes and 10 mins apart other times... I had also been losing my plug so I figured what the heck! So I downed 2 tbls of the castor oil, and blech! Tasted like melted chapstick. BUT in about 3 hrs my contractions were steadily 3 mins apart! And they hurt! Not horribly but enough to get my attention and a lot I had to breathe through. So I called my sister and had her pick up my kids so hubby and I could head to L&D. I was around 8 pm or so when we got to L&D. I was definitely contracting every 2-3 mins but after walking, waiting and walking some more I still had no cervical change at 4 am so I decided to head home. Poor hubby only got around 2-3 hrs of sleep in our suburban and still had to be at work at 7 am.

So hubby went to work and I decided to try and sleep. I took a bath, rested and watched TV. My sister kept the kids until 5 pm or so. She rocked. I told her to bring them back as I wasn't sure when things were going to pick up again. Well we ate dinner, and the kids got to bed. Hubby went to bed a little early to try to sleep for work again the next day. I ended up going to bed around 9 pm also (which is pretty early for insomniac me). At 12:45 I woke up to go to the bathroom and after I peed I noticed that I was still leaking some fluid. I tried to stop it but couldn't and figured it was my water! Well I didn't want to drag hubby out of bed for another false alarm, so I tried to lay down again. Well I couldn't sleep so I went downstairs and cleaned the kitchen... and threw the laundry in the dryer. I also tried to watch some TV. By 3 am the contractions were painful enough were I couldn't walk or talk so I woke hubby up, called my sis and packed up my kids to go to her house again.

We headed back to L&D and I was admitted due to my water being broken. I was contracting again every 2-4 minutes and was in a lot of pain. I was dilated to a 5, which was an improvement from the night before where I was 4. They were going to try to get me into the labor tub but by the time they got me admitted (I swear they take their own sweet time) I was asking for my epi. So as soon as I got in my room they called the anesthesiologist. I was not dealing well with my contractions and my hubby was doing his best to help me, which mainly meant giving my has hand to crush. By this time the nurse was ending her shift and she was being a total witch. I know she was trying to help but she was mean about it, yelling at me to breathe and get control of myself. The anesthesiologist wasn't much better not waiting for contractions to pass to stick me and I was terrified of moving and in a huge amount of pain trying to “arch my back like a cat” for him in the middle of a contraction. I'm sooo glad that the shift changed. I had an awesome nurse next and she took great care of me! Plus the epi was making my life wonderful. So after the epi, my labor slowed (which is expected) but I was still dilating so no need for pitocin.

Around 1 pm we noticed I was stalling so out came the pit. Since I'm a VBAC, the pit was started at 1 and they watch extremely carefully for complications due to the scar tissue. So the pit got my contractions to a good steady level to where I should have been changing or moving the baby down (she was still -1 little stinker). We sat at this level of pit with an internal contraction monitor and an internal heart monitor for pumpkin for 3 hrs. I was at an 8 cm for that long and started to spike a fever. Which means baby had a fever too... and her baseline heartrate went from the 150's to the 170's. As a team, (my doctor, me and my hubby) we decided that the best course was a repeat c-section. The baby still had only descended to 0 station and we were starting to wonder how big this little pumpkin was.

So we upped the epi to surgery dose and off the OR we went. Isabella was born at 4:36 pm weighing in at 9 lbs 12 ozs and 21.5 inches long!! She was beautiful!! I'm glad I got to try for another VBAC and I'm glad I had a successful one with my 2nd daughter (who was only 7 lbs 4 ozs) and while on the table I asked if I had another if I could try VBAC again. The doctor said of course!! So that's good news! I'm not sure yet if I will give VBA2C a whirl but it's definitely on the table. So perhaps in 2 years or so I'll have another VBAC story to tell.

Unfortunately due to her large size she had trouble regulating her sugars after she was born and I couldn't see her right away. She was in the level 2 nursery and she stayed there until the day I was released... I'm so glad she got to come home with me! I didn't see her for about 20 hours after delivery and she was being bottle fed to try to raise her sugars. After that didn't work she got an IV. It started in her foot and when that lost it's place it ended up in her head! I was determined to breastfeed so was heartbroken that perhaps that wouldn't happen...but after the dizziness left me I was able to get in a wheelchair to see her and we tried nursing. She latched like a pro and after that I would nurse her and then she would get her bottle. Her sugars stabilized on Wednesday morning (she was born Monday afternoon) and she was taken off her IV. Also after her Wednesday morning breastfeeding session she refused her bottle! YAY! I knew my milk had started to come in but I wasn't sure how much she was getting, ykwim? Well after that feeding my haven't looked back and she's an excellent nurser. She has a 1 week appointment this Monday (October 26th) so I'll get to see if she's gaining weight.

Thanks for reading this far! And good luck to all those who have yet to go into labor!

Oh and she was born on my birthday!! Best birthday present ever!!

Here's some pics:
Jennifer Brueske's Photos - Isabella Jean | Facebook
Reply With Quote
November 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12,914
Wow you gave that VBAC such an amazing try! WTG And how great that you are able to BF like a pro even with the set backs you and DD faced during her 1st couple days. You are one determined mama!

My goodness your DD was a big baby! I am glad she is here healthy and safe and that her bloodsugars leveled out.

Congratulations on your beautiful DD

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0