Log In Sign Up

Brent William's attempted VBAC story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
ashlynsmom's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 421
Ok well, this is kind of hard to post, because I am so disappointed in myself for not being more agressive in my decisions. But here goes...

On Friday, Sept. 29th, I was 40w3d and had an ultrasound to check fluid levels and a non-stress test to make sure he was okay (which knew he was). The ultrasound tech estimate my baby's weight to be 8 lbs 10 oz. OB checked my cervix: only 1cm and uneffaced and -2 station. She also went ahead and stripped my membranes for the second time (this time it's nice and bloody) I originally had a scheduled c-section for Monday, Oct. 1st, but I told her, while on the verge of tears, that I really didn't want to have a scheduled c-section. I wanted a VBAC very badly and did everything I could for those 40 weeks to try to prepare myself and increase my chances for a successful VBAC. I just couldn't bear to do all that only to end up scheduling a c-section. So she said for me to come to the hospital on Monday, Oct. 1st, and she would break my water and see if there are any changes in my cervix from that. If there was, she would let me labor if I started having adequte contractions and if not, she would give me a little pitocin to augment the labor. I agreed.

That entire weekend, I had really uncmofortable contractions about every 5-7 minutes apart on my own. This was really exciting for me because I had never felt any contractions with DD! I walked, I sat and rocked on my birthing ball, DH and I had sex, I started taking Borage oil supplements (which is really the same thing as EPO except it has much more GLA -- Gamma Linoleic Acid-- which is the prostaglandin precursor). I also listened to my Hypnobabies CD's for affirmations just like I had been for the last 8 weeks religously. I thought I was doing everything right.

By Monday morning, at 40w6d, I arrived at the hospital with my contractions 2-3 minutes apart but not any more intense than they had been all weekend. Still, I thought I was doing great and was sure that I was going to get my VBAC!

They put me in my room, I change into my gown, they start my Heplock (or INT or Saline lock or whatever you're used to hearing), and draw my blood. They put me on the EFM and sure enough, you could see the contractions showing up nicely on the monitor. Ob comes in, checks my cervix: still only 1 cm, uneffaced, and now -3 station! The baby had moved back up out of my pelvis! So she goes ahead and breaks my water...Let me just say that it took her forever and it hurt like hell! She kept saying, "Wow! You have a tough bag of waters!" Finally, after about 5 minutes of trying to rupture my membranes, she finally gets it but there's not gush or even a trickle. She said there was no forewaters--the small pocket of fluid between the baby's head and my cervix. Well, shortly after that, my contractions started to get more intense. To the point where I couldn't talk during one and I had to really focus with each one. Three hours later, and after moving around and sitting up in a chair and even going to the bathroom, I still never felt any leakage from my waters being broken. I told my nurse this and that my contractions were getting pretty painful. She told my OB who cam and checked me at about 10:30am. I was 2cm, 70% effaced, and -3 station. I was happy to have made some progress! It was really encouraging for me. So we decided wait another hour or so and she would check me again. At 11:45, she came back and check me--I was still the same. So this was the point where everything went downhill for me. My contractions were intense and throughout these every-2-minute contractions, she was telling me that she didn't feel that I would do anything else within a safe amount of time and that I was putting myself and the baby at higher risk for rupture if I labor excessively long. And there was no point in giving my pit because I was having adequate contractions on my own. She seemed genuinely sincere in telling that she thought it would be safer for me to opt for the c-section but that she would leave the decision up to me. She was really nice through it all. But I caved. I FREAKIN caved. I told her to just do it. I was so uncomfortable nd I was just ready to meet my little man.

So within 15 minutes, I was hookd up to IV fluids, consulted with two different anesthesiologists, and wheeled to the OR. They administered the spinal--which worked instantly, I must say. They prepped me and draped me. They made my incision and then let DH come in to sit by my side with camera in hand. I had 2 OBs perform my c-section and 2 anesthesiologists--I don't know why. But I work at this hospital and I know they don't usually do this. So while they're cutting away, I felt so high and sleepy and people kept talking to me and all I could think of was, I wish evryone eould leave me alone and let me sleep!" Next I know, I hear them say, "Here's the head!" I then hear the suction going vigorously and then the beginnings of my baby's cry. It took forever, it seems, after they said that for them to deliver the rest of his body. I then heard one of the OBs say, "Man, he's got some shoulder dystocia even with this section! You would NOT have been able to deliver this baby vaginally!" He had a nuchal cord which they easily reduced. He cried really loud once he was entirely delivered. He was born at 12:38pm weighing 8 lbs 12 oz and was 20.25 inches long.

His apgars were 9 and 9 and it felt really good to hear him and know he was finally here. Once they sewed me up and took me back to my room (we have LDRP rooms where you recover in your room after the c-section--not the recovery room). A good friend of mine is the lactation consultant and she immediately brought my sweet, gooey, unbathed baby to me and let me bresatfeed him even though I was lying flat on my back (trying to recovr from the spinal and avoid the awful spinal headache). She held him there on my breast while he nursed.

I had minimal pain because I had excellent pain management by my nurses who gave me some great post-op pain medicine.

The only complication I had was some vomiting later that night which was relieved by nausea medication.

Reply With Quote
October 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Awww, sweetie! It is ok that you didn't get your VBAC. When you are in labor you might agree to do things you wouldn't when you aren't in pain. I am glad you both are ok and really, it is all that matters. We are here for support if you want to talk about it. Thanks for posting your story! I might be in your situation soon. I am 41 weeks today. He is soooo cute!
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Reply With Quote
October 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Thank you for posting your story ! It's great that you got to nurse him so quickly and that you were taken good care of , even though you were hoping for a VBAC it's sounds like you still had a good outcome ! And please don't be disappointed in yourself , you did what allot of women are afraid to do or don't get the chance to do and that is try , you educated yourself and gave yourself the chance which is great ! Be proud momma !
~~Rachel~~ Crafty ~ Cloth Diapering ~ Breastfeeding ~ Co-Sleeping ~ Slightly Crunchy Green Mommy to

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

Reply With Quote
October 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,765
The other posts are absolutely right. I'm sorry you didn't get the experience you wanted though. But it kind of sounds like it would have been extremely difficult to deliver vaginally because of his shoulders, so in a way it's good you had the c/s earlier and saved yourself some pain.

Congrats on a beautiful baby boy!

Reply With Quote
October 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TN
Posts: 6,463
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Don't be hard on yourself, girl....you tried which is so much more than a lot of moms do. You did great! I'm so happy that you and your sweet baby came through alright and thanks so much for sharing your story!
Jamie, mommy to: Jillian 7/19/05 (c-section), Addison 6/4/07 (VBAC),
& Evan 10/16/10 (VBAC)

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0