New to Siggy Making

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paint Shop Pro Lessons and Tutorials LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Erika_K
Hi.. I'm new here.. I tried to do the first lesson for psp and get so confused..
Here's so things I've done on my own and hope that I can get some more help, advise, and even critism on them..
-Erika
On this one I learned how to colorize certian items in pictures..

This one I played around with the text and then turned it into bl/wh

This one I played around with different texts and learned how to crop and add the images together..

Thanks for your input..
June 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Oh, they look great! I really love what you have done with it! Welcome to the siggy board!

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
June 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Super Mommy
I'm pretty new to siggie making, too, and we're using the same program. Maybe we can help each other out! If you haven't done the lessons yet, go for it. They were pretty easy to understand and I had a lot of fun doing them. I found that when I got stuck, I moved on to something else and came back later and found it was a lot easier the second time. GL!

<div align="center">
Thank you Misty for my beautiful siggy!</div>
December '07

June 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Welcome! I'd say you're off to a great start! Welcome to Justmommies!
June 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM
detk's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi.. I'm new here.. I tried to do the first lesson for psp and get so confused..
Here's so things I've done on my own and hope that I can get some more help, advise, and even critism on them..
-Erika
On this one I learned how to colorize certian items in pictures..

This one I played around with the text and then turned it into bl/wh

This one I played around with different texts and learned how to crop and add the images together..

Thanks for your input..[/b]
Welcome to the siggy board!! You did great on those!! Great pictures too.

Which part or step in lesson one are you having a difficulty with? I can try to help you out.
June 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Erika_K
I cant figure out how to upload the fonts.. I have tried and tried in the siggy lesson one it shows the steps but they just seem different when I'm trying to do it..
Also I cant figure out how to combine the pictures with the texts, the main part of siggy making..

I know how to do the text and how to do they pictures but when ever I go to combine them I also get odd looking lines and boxes?..

detk : I love YOUR siggys they all look so good.. I wanna be that good someday.. Thanks!

rawisner : Thanks.. Hope its a blast!

doms mom : do you have a gallery with some of you work.. Is the one in you siggy yours.. It look really good! Id like to see some of your work so I can see some of the things I can do with xi ! Thanks..

wannabesupermom : I love you work too, and Thanks.. I hope I can get the hang of things soon!

Im so Excited to get things rolling!

-Erika-
June 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Super Mommy
Erika, I don't have a gallery, but I can post a few of the things I've made here if you want.

ETA: Yes, the one I'm wearing right now is mine. Thanks for the compliment!

<div align="center">
December '07

June 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Erika_K
Quote:
Erika, I don't have a gallery, but I can post a few of the things I've made here if you want.

ETA: Yes, the one I'm wearing right now is mine. Thanks for the compliment![/b]
Thats SO neat.. I'd really like for you to post some of your siggys! The one you are carrying looks so good tho.. I cant wait till I'm THAT good!

Whoo Hoo.. You've excited me!

-Erika-
June 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Super Mommy
This is a FFA request I did

These are some I made for friends

And a few I made for myself

<div align="center">
December '07

June 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Erika_K
wow.. those all look great.. I've been practing and seem to be getting the hang of things!
Its just seems hard because I just dont know kind of things to do to them.. KWIM?..
I dont have any ideas of what to add to them..
I made this just playing around but to me it seems like something that could have been created in MS paint..
I havnt got to the harder things yet! And dont even know where to begin with that?? I did all the lessons and
some of it was things I knew but I did learn how to use the laso tool thing, I couldnt figure that out at first!
But if you could critic me on this and let me know what you think.. ( that goes for all the ladies viewing)

THANKS

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/AjKinders/aj2.jpg
June 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Quote:
wow.. those all look great.. I've been practing and seem to be getting the hang of things!
Its just seems hard because I just dont know kind of things to do to them.. KWIM?..
I made this just playing around but to me it seems like something that could have been created in MS paint..
I havnt got to the harder things yet! And dont even know where to begin with that?? I did all the lessons and
some of it was things I knew but I did learn how to use the laso tool thing, I couldnt figure that out at first!
But if you could critic me on this and let me know what you think.. ( that goes for all the ladies viewing)

THANKS

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/AjKinders/aj2.jpg[/b]
Asking for feedback is a great way to improve siggy making. I really like the one you did. You are getting the hang of it. Your cutout can be a bit smoother, less choppy... Did you do the part where you select your cutout, contract your selection, smooth it, reverse it and delete the outside. I might help making it smoother... If you did, you could try increasing the value of the smooth selection value. Another thing I can see would be the text itself... Did you use one color for the foreground and one color for the background? I personnaly prefer to use the same color for the background and foreground if not the text looks too thin sometimes (depending on the font). You could then use a second layer for the other color. Maybe also add a drop shadow to the text to make it pop more...

Here is the way I do my text in psp (the screenshots are in PSP9, but I use PSPXI now and it works the same) which is a bit different from the siggy lesson, maybe it can help you if you want:
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...=551710&hl=

I also wanted to say I'm very sorry for your losses...
June 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Super Mommy
Wow, you did a great job on that. I really like the colors.

I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with your pics. I took all the tutorials here and a few I found online and it seems like I still use the same couple of tecniques over and over in my siggies. I need to remember to change it up every now and again. But I'm sure that comes with experience and practise.

<div align="center">
December '07

June 14th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Erika_K
Quote:
Quote:

THANKS

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/AjKinders/aj2.jpg[/b]
Asking for feedback is a great way to improve siggy making. I really like the one you did. You are getting the hang of it. Your cutout can be a bit smoother, less choppy... Did you do the part where you select your cutout, contract your selection, smooth it, reverse it and delete the outside. I might help making it smoother... If you did, you could try increasing the value of the smooth selection value. Another thing I can see would be the text itself... Did you use one color for the foreground and one color for the background? I personnaly prefer to use the same color for the background and foreground if not the text looks too thin sometimes (depending on the font). You could then use a second layer for the other color. Maybe also add a drop shadow to the text to make it pop more...

Here is the way I do my text in psp (the screenshots are in PSP9, but I use PSPXI now and it works the same) which is a bit different from the siggy lesson, maybe it can help you if you want:
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...=551710&hl=

I also wanted to say I'm very sorry for your losses...
[/b]

I used the lasso tool and then I cleaned up the edges with the eraser.. the whole smooth it cut out reverse it?.. Im confused about that.. lol.. The font I dont remember what I even used?.. lol.. But I try out using different colors next time.. (How do you add a drop shadow box.. I think that would be pretty neat..? )..
For the text I'll read that over to.. Thanks!
And Thanks for your kind words.. I know they are in heaven watching over us!

-Erika-
June 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Erika_K
Quote:

I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with your pics. I took all the tutorials here and a few I found online and it seems like I still use the same couple of tecniques over and over in my siggies. I need to remember to change it up every now and again. But I'm sure that comes with experience and practise.[/b]
Thanks.. I REALLY hope I can get good soon.. I just need to practice on somebody elses pictures.. KWIM?..

Are we aloud to pick up the begginers makers request to practice or do we need to be invited to make them?..

I would REALLY love to be able to have some practice!! But Thanks..
Going off to practice!

-Erika-

Quote:

I know what you mean about not knowing what to do with your pics. I took all the tutorials here and a few I found online and it seems like I still use the same couple of tecniques over and over in my siggies. I need to remember to change it up every now and again. But I'm sure that comes with experience and practise.[/b]
Thanks.. I REALLY hope I can get good soon.. I just need to practice on somebody elses pictures.. KWIM?..

Are we aloud to pick up the begginers makers request to practice or do we need to be invited to make them?..

I would REALLY love to be able to have some practice!! But Thanks..
Going off to practice!

-Erika-
June 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Super Mommy
I did a couple FFA requests and as far as I know anyone is allowed to do them. I find it easier to do stuff for other people, too, especially when they are specific about what they want.

<div align="center">
December '07

June 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Erika_K
Quote:
I did a couple FFA requests and as far as I know anyone is allowed to do them. I find it easier to do stuff for other people, too, especially when they are specific about what they want.[/b]
Ok.. whats the FFA requests .. lol.. I guess I'm lost.. But Id love to jump in and try them!!! THanks!
June 14th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Erika_K
Quote:
Quote:
I did a couple FFA requests and as far as I know anyone is allowed to do them. I find it easier to do stuff for other people, too, especially when they are specific about what they want.[/b]
Ok.. whats the FFA requests .. lol.. I guess I'm lost.. But Id love to jump in and try them!!! THanks!
[/b]
Never mind.. I went into the "siggy board" and read all the reals and everything..
I found this..

Everyone is free to make a siggy for any request on the main board

So I think Ill try one!

Thanks SO much everyone!!
June 14th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Quote:
I used the lasso tool and then I cleaned up the edges with the eraser.. the whole smooth it cut out reverse it?.. Im confused about that.. lol.. The font I dont remember what I even used?.. lol.. But I try out using different colors next time.. (How do you add a drop shadow box.. I think that would be pretty neat..? )..
For the text I'll read that over to.. Thanks!
And Thanks for your kind words.. I know they are in heaven watching over us!

-Erika-[/b]
To do the smooth effect on your cutout see step 3 on in this lesson:

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=268543

As for the font, it's not the font itself I think, it's for any font you use you can use a foreground and background color, I suggest using the same color for both as to not thin out your font... But anyway, check out the font link I posted before and see it that helps a bit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search