Those who have babies...

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
What Is your Bedtime routine? How do you get your LO's to sleep at night? Where do they sleep?
February 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
We give them baths at 7:30. They are in bed by 8. Chris gets Edward dressed for bed, I get Preston dressed for bed. We read Edward a story and Preston sits in on the story too. Edward sleeps in his toddler bed in his room, Preston sleeps with us. Edward slept with us until a month before he turned 2 years. Preston may go longer because he's much needier than Edward was. We'll see.
Baby #4 and Baby#5: Born into Heaven - Joyce (3.22.17)
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!

February 8th, 2009, 11:10 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just try not to bang my head against the wall or burst into tears. Ask me again in a few months, lol.

February 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
He has a bath at 6.30 and in bed for 7, he does tend to keep getting in and out of bed for about half an hour to an hour but hes normally deffo asleep by 8!!!
February 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amara sleeps around 3 - 4hours with an occasional 2 or 2 1/2 if she's gassy. Her general night time routine (which was basically set by her) goes like this for now (give or take 1/2 hour here and there): 6:30 - 9:30, 10/10:30 - 1/1:30, 2/2:30 - 5/5:30.

Right now she mainly feeds and sleeps in the evenings and will usually fall off to sleep while I'm burping her. I'm not sure how long she will continue like this but I'm coping so I hope she sticks to it or gets better with longer times.

She currently sleeps in a bassinet in our room. I think we will transfer her to her room around 6 weeks.

How's it going for you??

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
February 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Round seven Dustin starts cluster feeding. At 8:30, if Dustin lets me haha, Curtis gets a bath. Then he is in bed by 9. I keep feeding Dustin off and on till 10 ish. Then he is down for the night and wakes up around 4. We are all up for the day around 8 or 9.

Been this way since he came home with a couple mixed up nights hehe.

Oh and Curtis sleeps in his toddler bed. Dustin sleeps in his crib in our room.

February 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I try to start the bed time routine around 7:00-7:15 PM. I will put a clean CD on him, put him in his pajamas, and try to get him to eat before bed. Sometimes he is out fast around 7:30-8:00 PM and other times it takes a while. Some nights I read him a story and sometimes I rock him to sleep depending on what he needs. He use to fall asleep while I nursed him but lately he falls asleep while sucking on his pacifer. Some times he kicks and plays in bed until he wears himself out and then gets extra fussy. I'm still nursing him 2-3 times per night. Some how I'm getting enough sleep to feel good during my work day.
February 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
He breastfeeds and gets full after we eat dinner, around 7:00 or so. Then, he will play on his mat in the living room or we will hold him while we watch tv on the couch. We turn the lights down low, and when he starts to get a tad fussy, usually around 7:45-8:15, I will let him fuss for a few mins, and then breastfeed him again, either on the couch or on the bed in our room. He will fall asleep while he's nursing. I make sure he is really asleep, unlatch him, and transfer/carry him into his co-sleeper. It sometimes takes a couple of tries
February 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does Seamus count? Or is he not a baby enough any more

He gets a bath, then teeth brushed, then lotion and jammies then into bed. Around 9pm.

February 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
We only do baths every 2 nights during the winter because otherwise he gets too dry. But generally, it's bath/lotion/jammies/nursing/bed (or just everything behind the bath part if it's not a bath night). We start based on his cues, but he's like a little clock and is always ready between 7-7:30 and is generally out for the night by 8pm. I had been nursing him to sleep, but the last few nights he hasn't fallen asleep nursing, so I put him in his crib and he babbles himself to sleep. It's really throwing me for a loop, because he's actually like...putting himself to sleep lately! (I almost hate to type that like I might jinx myself!!)

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
February 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just try not to bang my head against the wall or burst into tears. Ask me again in a few months, lol.[/b]
(and I'm kind of chuckling--but not TO hard because otherwise that WILL be me also someday!)
February 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Quote:
Quote:
I just try not to bang my head against the wall or burst into tears. Ask me again in a few months, lol.[/b]
(and I'm kind of chuckling--but not TO hard because otherwise that WILL be me also someday!)
[/b]
We should all raid Jess' house and do bath/bed time for her and give her chocolates and champagne!!!

ETA: We'll take turns doing this for each other!!
Baby #4 and Baby#5: Born into Heaven - Joyce (3.22.17)
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!

February 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
OK so I just Copy and Pasted this since it's so long and Im tired I dont think I could re write it. So sorry If It makes no sense....

This is what Im dealing with right now!!!

OK so here's whats going on. Cambria has been a bad sleeper since day 1......Now after reading alot of books and hearing stories Im begaining to think Ive taught her to be that way. I know Im not a "BAD" mom but I feel like Ive done a "bad" thing. We used to co-sleep but have been able to put her in the pack and play next to us for the last 3 months. That was a big deal to me. Well she has a 6-8OZ bottle at 6, finishes a bit before 7 ( she is such a slow eater, I change it to MED flow every once in a while to speed her up ) we play for about an hour, I take her upstairs and give her a bath ( every other day ) then take her to our room where I lay her in our bed and either Nurse her to sleep or give her a small bottle. Depends on her mood. Sometimes she only want's to nurse but mostly only wants the bottle. This takes me at least an hour to get her to sleep. She always drifts in and out of sleep waking at least 3 times crying before she finally gives in to sleep. I leave her and go downstairs for minimum an hour before It's time for us to go to bed. When I back up there I have to move her from our bed into her PnP....I just slide my hands under her and put her in.....She always stirs a little but usually goes right back to bed. Maybe once a week I wake her and have to put her back in bed again and nurse her back to sleep and pretty much repeat the process. Ive tried rocking her but It seems to Stimulate her more and get her all riled up again. The bad thing Ive done Is Ive grown her accustom to needing the boob/bottle before bed in order to go to bed. I WISH I could get her to go to bed on her own and right away in her PnP or crib. BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW!!!!!! cry.gif Right now Im reading The baby whisperer and am going to try doing it her way and see if that works. ALSO another BIG problem.....She's still swaddled....Completely swaddled! Her hands still wake her and she's ever so fasinated by them and will just stare at them for hours. I dont know how to get her over that. shrugs.gif She takes Cat naps in her swing everyonce in a while, non-swaddled ( but her hands are what wake her ) and sleeps in the carseat from time to time....so I know she's somewhat capable of sleeping without being swaddled. How do I get her to sleep with out be swaddled and how, once she can deal with out the blanket do I move her without those hands waking her....I really just wanna be able to put her down, drowsy ( Ive never seen her in that stage ) and have her self soothe herself to bed. I know what Ive done is a Learned behavior and now I need to undo it...I know it's gonna take time since she's older I just dont know If I have to Patience to do it or stay up all night every night for days until she's learned.....Does any of this make sense??? Im sorry to ramble Im just so confused right now...
February 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Adriana takes a bath around 7pm, then we play and read books.. Then she's off to bed at 8 pm.. Adriana has always slept in her own bed and we put her to bed when she's awake..

We had this routine with Adriana since she was 3 months old.. She also has been sleeping through the night at 3 months, so our routine is great.. Especially since I work full time.. I don't know what I would do if she was up at night.. Also, you want to set a routine when they are trainable.. If you wait until they are toddlers, it's not so easy getting into a routine..

Edit:

I just read your post.. Have you tried the cry it out loud method? We used that method when Adriana went through a phase where she refused to go to sleep.. It was hard at first, but it only took a few days for Adriana to learn that was bedtime and not play time.. Also, I would recommend not swaddling anymore and have her learn how to self sooth herself and you should always put her to bed when she's awake.. The hard part is not giving in.. It will be hard at first, but it will get better as the days go by.. I would also suggest putting a few toys in her crib.. That will entertain her until she drifts off to sleep..

Oh, we also swaddled Adriana until she was 4 months old.. We had the same fears as you, but we were surprised how easy the transition was.. You should just test one night on how she reacts.. Also, does she use a binky? If so, you may want to use that to help her with the transition..

I hope this helps and good luck..

February 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
Amy, we are still swaddling at night, and only in the past week has he started to sleep unswaddled for naps. I am going to drop the swaddle cold turkey next weekend since he does okay on his naps - but I am nervous because I love my sleep and every attempt we've made up until this point to get rid of the swaddle has NOT gone well (which .... well, that's why we're still swaddling!). Honestly though, I think the reason we are able to do naps unswaddled now is because Ben is now able to roll himself around, so he ends up falling asleep on his side or tummy where his arms can't really bother him. Also, when I put him down for naps, I leave him be in the crib for 1.5 to 2 hours (for his afternoon nap at least, his morning one is a lot shorter) so that he understands that this is "quiet time" and he can sleep or play on his own during that time. That's not to say I don't soothe him when he's really crying, but generally he'll either play or fuss for a few minutes, roll over and drift off to sleep. My daycare actually started him on this, I might not have tried it because I just assumed he wasn't ready to sleep unswaddled.

I truly believe Cambria will let you know when she's done sleeping with the swaddle. I also still nurse Ben to sleep about half the time at night, and sometimes he can self soothe and other times not. I really read a lot on the Ask Moxie, she has a lot of excellent posts on sleep, and the comments are helpful too, just knowing that other people have been in your shoes and now have great sleepers.

Hang in there, Amy! You're doing just fine, Cambria will get this sleep thing figured out!!

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
February 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Anyone knows at what age kids generally settle into a sleep routine or how you really train them to fit into one?

Amara is doing pretty well but I don't know for how long she'll keep it up and I want to know if there's anything I can do to encourage her night schedules so far. Also, when they get messed up a bit, how you get them back on track.

February 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
You may want to consider a modified cry-it-out like the Ferber method. We're working on it now. It worked wonders on Zack, not so much on Ethan, and I'm already seeing a difference in Alyssa. She's now napping 1-2 hours twice a day (before I couldn't get more than 30 minutes twice a day). She's also going to bed at 7:30pm rather than between 10-11pm. We're on day 5ish and she's down to crying only around 20 minutes when I first lay her down. The first night, she cried for 3 hours and threw up twice. I was beside myself. She's been much more difficult than either of the boys.

February 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jess!! That's gonna break my heart! I will try though. I want to start getting her into a decent routine when she's about 4 - 6 weeks. I don't want her dependent on me to fall asleep. Right now she feeds until she falls asleep and I was reading that I shouldn't really allow her to do that.

February 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Thanks Jess!! That's gonna break my heart! I will try though. I want to start getting her into a decent routine when she's about 4 - 6 weeks. I don't want her dependent on me to fall asleep. Right now she feeds until she falls asleep and I was reading that I shouldn't really allow her to do that.[/b]
Don't allow a baby younger than 6 months to cry-it-out. A baby that young is still trying to adjust to life outside the womb and doesn't know how to self-soothe. I wouldn't attempt any type of sleep training (even a no-cry version) on a 4-6 week baby, tbh.

February 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Elsa has had the exact same bedtime routine since around 10 months old. I also got her into bad habits at first. I didn't know! I used to nurse her to sleep in my bed, and then move her to her crib when I went to bed. Her feet would wake her up....I'd hear that thump of her feet, and then know she'd be up in seconds and crying. She had so much trouble soothing herself to sleep. I tried crying it out and it did not work at all for her. I kind of had to find my own method. When she was 10 months old we'd do playtime, then bath, brush teeth, and then I'd give her a sippy cup of milk/breastmilk/formula, and then sit next to her crib as she fell asleep. It sometimes took up to an hour, but eventually she'd fall asleep on her own. Eventually I was able to just put her in her crib, leave the room, and let her stir and "talk" until she fell asleep.

She's 5 now, and is a great sleeper! She's been a great sleeper since 17 months old, and sometimes sleeps until 9am on weekends. We still do playtime, then she cleans her room, then takes a bath, then gets jammies on, then brushes her teeth, we read a book, and then she goes to sleep. She usually falls asleep within an hour. I wish I had established a routine from the start, but I was a first time mom, and I didn't know. Live and learn! It didn't effect her long term, so it wasn't the end of the world!

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search