The bad gets worse

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

It turns out that both DH and I are carriers of chromosomal abnormalities which interfere with our fertility.

Mine is called MTHFR. It interferes with my ability to absorb B vitamins including folic acid. It is related to early miscarriage as well as birth defects. Not only that, but it puts me at higher risk for heart disease, stroke and blood clots. I'm awaiting the levels and will find out soon if it's a really severe mutation of this gene, or possibly a less severe mutation.

AND

DH has a balanced translocation. This means that two chromosomes switched places on two of his genes when he was an embryo himself. His development was normal, but it means that this translocation is carried in all of his sperm. Any embryo produced by DH's sperm has about a 2 in 3 chance of either miscarrying, having a severe defect or being a carrier of the mutation itself. And a 1 in 3 chance of being a healthy, normal embryo.

The odds of just ONE of us having a chromosomal abnormality is so low, the odds of BOTH of us having these problems is miniscule. I am still in shock, and extremely upset, hurt and angry about the situation we're facing. I never in a million years imagined I'd be dealing with this. DH and I are officially infertile. Both of us. It's so insane.

We made an appointment with the top IVF RE in our area, and we will be seeing her on Feb. 24. We will probably end up doing a type of IVF where they genetically screen the embryos prior to implantation to make sure that they are not carriers of DH's balanced translocation. At the same time, I'm going to have to go on a couple of meds and megadoses of B-vitamins in order to try and manage my MTHFR.

I know it is good that we have a plan of action. I know we still have *a chance* of having our own children. But I've been thrown into this nightmare that just keeps getting worse and worse. Every time I think it couldn't get worse, it does.

I'm not going to be around JM for a while, not here, not at TTC with MA or TTCAL or any of that. I love you girls, I do. I just don't feel like I can relate to any part of this board right now. I have to just let all this sink in first and just be in my life for a while. There is no sense in me talking about pregnancy or babies when those things just seem so far off for me right now. No matter how badly I want a baby, I have what feels like a 1000 mile journey to walk before I get there and I just kind of hate everything right now. I guess I'll probably check back in here after our first RE appointment if I have anything new to say then.

February 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
KatiInCT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You will be in my thoughts. We are all rooting for you.

Osric O'Dell M...... December 10, 2009: 7lbs 14.2 oz, 21 inches
(NEW SIGGY SOON!
)
February 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Kyle, I am so incredibly sorry! I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now; you and Eric. I wish I had great words of wisdom and support for you but all I can think of is how much this royally sucks for you guys and how incredibly unfair it all is. I completely understand your need of a break from JM, take as much time as you need and know that we are all behind you and praying for you. I hope your RE appointment goes well. It sounds like you have a good plan of attack (so to speak) and I hope and pray you get your baby ASAP!!!! Much *HUGS* and prayers for you and Eric.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
*Fiona*
((((((((((((((Kyle)))))))))))))) My heart breaks for you and Eric. PM me anytime you want. xxxxx
February 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Kyle I have heard of both of those abnormalities. I am so so so sorry for you. I know there is nothing good about this at all, not even in the slightest bit, but it is great that you know now and that you have that appointment with the IVF RE. I would love to hear about that appointment if you think you could come back and let us know how it goes. Good Luck at your appointment.

Can I ask how you found out you had MTHFR? I only ask because I just experienced my second loss, at exactly the same gestation as last time, and im scared that something may be up with me.
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

February 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
n/a
Kyle I am so sorry. That is quite a shock. Even though Dustin are both considered "infertile" it is not what you are facing at all. I wish I could help somehow. It is understandable that you won't be online for a while, but I would love to hear how it goes with the RE if you are ready to come back then. I am very sorry you have this TTC road ahead of you, but I hope the RE can give you some hope that it will not be too long of a journey knowing more of what you are dealing with. And even though you feel angry and upset, I think you have been handling everything as best as you can because you keep moving forward, no matter how much it hurts or how hard or scary it is ((HUGS))
February 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM
BambolinaItaliana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i am so so sorry you are having a hard time with this!!!! you are in my thoughts always!

[/url]<a href="http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</a>
x7
February 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Kyle I'm so sorry!!! I wish I had the words to make it easier on you but I don't. Please keep us updated on your appts and I will be praying for you and your DH ((HUGS))

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

February 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry! I hope that you'll be able to come to terms with this situation, in your own way, and in your own time. We all love you here and want the best for you. You'll be in my thoughts.
February 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kyle- I'm soooo sorry!!!! My heart aches for you!!!

I hope all works out with the RE in a couple weeks!!! As you know we are all here for you!!!
February 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry kyle!! This is just completely 100% unfair!!! Good luck at your appointment. I understand you needing to take time away from JM. Take as much time as you need!

February 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Kyle, you and your DH will be in thoughts and prayers!

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
February 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
HopeWishWait's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry Kyle, I can't imagine the emotions that must be running through you and DH right now. Take all the time you need, we love you and will be here whenever you are ready. You guys will be in my prayers.

February 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
midnight_starr's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry Kyle
Baby #2 due January 2014!

February 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kyle, I don't know what to say because I have never been there. I'm very sorry and hope that the RE can help the two of you. Your in my thoughts.
February 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
*Mrs.J.2011*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kyle and Eric! I am truly at a loss for words. I will keep you in my T's & P's! We love you and cant wait until you are comfortable returning! (Hopefully with wonderful news!)

Missing our little "Duckie" since 06-22-09
February 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm so sorry..

I don't know if you believe in God.. But if you do, put it all in His hands.. You never know, He could surprise you one day..

February 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I'm so so sorry Kyle. It's got to be so hard seeing all your hopes of an easy journey to motherhood go up in smoke. Wishing you all luck and good things to come. I'll be praying for both you and Eric.

February 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Kyle. My jaw just DROPPED to the floor when I read that first line. And then I literally felt like I was being punched in the face repeatedly as I kept reading. This news is just SHOCKING. I can't believe it. I am so sorry. I hope your appointment goes well with the RE and that they can help you and Eric. I also hope you two found a counselor or someone who can talk to you guys about your losses and what this journey will be like. I'm so sorry you have to take the hard road. I hate that you two spent so much time "doing everything right" and planning and being careful and now you get slapped in the face with this. I just HATE THIS for you. I wish I could take it all away. I'm so sorry.

I know you won't be around JM for a while, but just to throw it out there... I remember someone posting in the grads infertility/loss forum asking about a balanced translocation. You might want to check out that thread.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((huge hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

let me know if you need anything.

February 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry that you and Eric have to go through this. It just sucks!!! I can't relate on a personal level but I want to say, hang in there and believe that it will work out. I'm send thoughts and prayers your way and I believe that despite this incredible challenge, you will be parents.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search