BF Question for our resident "experts"

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies...I am posting this here because there are several of you that post on this board that I really respect and value your opinions when it comes to breastfeeding. I am a little concerned and need advice/reassurance.

I exclusively breastfeed and have had no problems with regards to supply or anything for these past 4 months. Hallie has been really routine as far as nursing (from one side only) every three hours. The last three days, however, she has wanted to eat every hour and a half to two hours. She seems to do well and is satisfied afterwards, but like clockwork she's hungry again way sooner than usual. I figured it was probably a growth spurt and just went with it. But tonight, I tried to pump because I needed a bottle for tomorrow. I do that a few times a week at night and usually get 4-5oz. fairly easily. I could only get an ounce tonight out of the side I had not nursed on, and nothing at all leftover in the one that I had just nursed on! I am now concerned...could it be my milk supply is decreasing for some reason and that's why she's needing to nurse more often? If so, what could be causing that to happen? Or--did I just not have anything left to pump as a result of her feeding more throughout the day? Is there any way to figure out which is going on?

As a first time mom, all this is new to me. I really appreciate any help you "experts" can offer! Thank you!

February 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seamus had times when he would want to nurse all the time too. I think its probably a reason why you didn't get much when you pumped because she is drinking more. Have you noticed if your breasts feel heavyer like your making more milk for her sense she's nursing more or do they feel the same? If they feel the same I bet your supply isn't changing and its why you couldn't get much out because shes drinking more often.

February 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
My guess would be that it's the 3 month growth spurt, if up until now she has been going every 3 or so hours between nursing. And, I'm no expert, but I would say you weren't able to pump because of the increased nursing during the day, which will eventually lead to increased milk production to keep up with her needs. I'd say as long as she seems satisfied after nursing, try not to stress too much about how much you're able to pump. I know it's hard not to worry - I can usually pump at least 6oz per session when I pump at work and one day I only got about 3 oz for the WHOLE DAY (that was 2 pumping sessions), I was totally stressed, but it was okay and I still have an adequate supply. Also, if she's having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, she's getting enough.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
February 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds very normal and that she's most likely just going through a growth spurt. Liam always took both breasts at a feeding but Lochlann has only ever taken one. Even now he will go through phases where he'll want to nurse more than usual but it passes. Does it seem like she might be coming down with a cold or anything? That's usually when my boys were more apt to nurse more frequently if it wasn't a growth spurt. I can't help with the pumping because I could never get much out even with my double electric. Lochlann was gone overnight on Saturday and I had to pump Saturday night and Sunday morning and only got 1.5 ounces total! I still don't know what I'm going to do with that piddly amount of milk in my fridge. Even when EN and completely engorged I could only get out maybe 2 or 3 ounces.

If she's satisfied after the nursings and she's still getting plenty of wet/poopy diapers all is well. Either your supply will adjust to the new demand or she'll settle back down again soon. Either way, everything will work out! If your worried about supply maybe being an issue just keep downing that water and eat some oatmeal every day. I don't think you have a supply problem at all though, sounds like very normal stuff.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
*Fiona*
Altho I'm not at your baby's age, I've been going through this yesterday, Kirsty has wanted to feed every 1 & half to 2 hours rather than her usual 3. Like you I was concerned yesterday that my milk was less than normal as my BBs were soft & I felt she was feeding for a long time but not getting anything much. Today I'm engorged again so I'm guessing my milk has perhaps caught up. I hope you are the same!
February 17th, 2009, 05:49 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
I am so impressed that your babes were going 3 at such a young age!! I don't think Ben went to 3 hours between feeds until he was almost 6 months old!! And even now, he rarely goes more than 3! I have a piggy, for sure!! When he was growth spurting, it would be every 30 minutes (YES, 30 MINUTES!) to an hour that he'd be nursing.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
February 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am so impressed that your babes were going 3 at such a young age!! I don't think Ben went to 3 hours between feeds until he was almost 6 months old!! And even now, he rarely goes more than 3! I have a piggy, for sure!! When he was growth spurting, it would be every 30 minutes (YES, 30 MINUTES!) to an hour that he'd be nursing.[/b]
Same for me! My boys were ALWAYS nursing! And that doesn't include the cluster feeding!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
BambolinaItaliana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

i think everyone answered everything, although Giosue` goes 3-4 hrs between feedings now with 8 hrs at night. I also just think it is a growth spurt!!! darn thouse kids for growing!!! LOL!

[/url]<a href="http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
</a>
</a>
x7
February 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the advice! I am hoping it's just a growth spurt, too. Today's been much of the same---she's still nursing every 1-2 hours instead of 3. The only thing that is concerning me is she has been pulling off after a few minutes and doesn't seem completely satisfied, but won't latch back on. Also, I don't really feel the fullness that I usually feel on that side before I feed her, which is also worrying me. She does have plenty of wet and dirty diapers though and slept fine last night...hopefully those things mean she's getting enough.

February 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The 3-month growth spurt is a DOOZEY! Even us veteran bfing mamas have doubted our supply during growth spurts. It's normal, don't supplement. It shouldn't last more than a week total. I'm on my 3rd kiddo and I still have to remind myself that it's normal to question supply during a growth spurt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search