Routine Newborn Care

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
n/a
We are still trying to decide on the necessity of certain routine care for newborns. I was curious what others did, and if you noticed any adverse reactions either way

Eye ointment?

Vitamin K shot?

Time waited to cut umbilical cord?

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know why but this bothers me so much!)

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care?

Hep B shot?

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus?

Thanks! This isn't a debate I am just curious.
February 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
♥Ashley♥'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ohh, Im interested to see too! Im scared now of what the reactions will be of the hospital staff when I tell them I dont want most of these things!
Cycle #1-9 - All Natural....5BFN's, 4BFP's (all ended in miscarriage)
Cycle #10-11 - Met with first RE, diagnosed with heterzygeous MTHFR mutation & slightly low SA on all counts. -BFN, Cycle #12 - First IUI+Trigger - BFN, Cycle #13 - BFN
Cycle #14-15 - Met with new RE, diagnosed with a blocked right tube that previous RE completely overlooked or didnt care to mention. Soy (120mg) - BFN
Cycle #16 - Clomid (100mg) - BFN, Cycle #17 - Clomid (100mg)+Trigger+IUI - BFN
Cycle #18 - Acupuncture+Clomid (100mg) - BFN
Cycle #19-27 - 2 Soy (160mg) cycles, the rest all natural also 30lbs lost!! - BFN's
Cycle #28 - New RE is GREAT! Put on bcp 7/6/11, Lap surgery 8/1/11- Tubal cyst (5cm) found and removed, Uterine Septum removed, and Stage II-III endo removed. Cycle #29 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle #30 - All Natural - BFN, Cycle#31 - All Natural - BFN, DONE TTC FOR NOW

February 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM
*Fiona*
I'm just gonna add what we chose to do, if you get what people chose, it may give you insight into what you would like.

Eye ointment?
we weren't offered this but I believe it's not common practice in the UK.

Vitamin K shot?
We did this

I had the injection to deliver my placenta immediately after Kirsty was born. The cord was cut right after she came out.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know hwy but this bothers me so much!)
Our hospital recommended us to wait until the following day to get her cleaned up, the vernix is good for their skin, it's like a moisturising lotion. Altho she was dried off before getting her sleepsuit on after her birth.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care?
I had Kirsty placed on me immediately after she was born - it's like nothing I can describe, such a special bonding time for you and baby - however, not all women like it. Kirsty was born at 7:27pm and had her first BF at about 10:30pm after our skin-to-skin time and my shower post-delivery. It's up to you when you want this though.

Hep B shot?
I don't recall anything about a hep B shot, so can't comment.

Michelle, it's completely up to you what you want done, nothing is right or wrong... it's only right for you. And no one will judge you or think any less of you. I so can't wait to meet your lil babba
February 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eye ointment?
Yes we did this

Vitamin K shot?
I honestly don't know, Andy probably knows. I was getting stitched up from my episiotomy and couldn't see over the side of the bed because the handles were in the way.. I'm short LoL.

Right after birth

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know hwy but this bothers me so much!)
She was wiped down but it wasn't vigorous or anything

Yes, she was placed on my chest immediately. I didn't BF last time but this time I plan to allow the routine care, BF, and then send her off to the nursery to get cleaned up.

Hep B shot?
Yes, she got this along with hearing tests

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

February 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
Eye ointment?
We allowed it

Vitamin K shot?
Hmm.. we didn't say anything against it but I dont remember if it was done. James is in charge of our babies when I'm "being attended to" haha. We allowed all routine care.

It was cut right away.

Nope he wasn't rubbed. We bundled him up with a warmed blanket. Even during his first bath she said to not rub it off, to leave it be. I was happy with that makes them oh so soft hehe.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? Yes Dustin was, but Curtis was not.. things were so hectic and rushed since he came so fast. He had full routine care and we didn't breast feed for a while after. Dustin I nursed him right away and before any routine care

Hep B shot? Again if this is routine newborn care it must have been done but I don't recall.

February 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
n/a
Thanks Fi You reminded me of another question I added too about the pitocin shot given to deliver the placenta. I want to be prepared with some sort of opinion when I talk to my doc about this in a few weeks (last appt was only with the NP).
February 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll answer for both my hospital birth and birth center birth. I wasn't very educated when I had Liam so I didn't know to question these things.

Eye ointment? Yes for both. With Liam I didn't think to question it. With Lochlann I was GBS+ and just felt better him getting it.

Vitamin K shot? Yes for both since we got them both circumcized.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Liam it was a minute or so. Lochlann it was when the cord stopped pulsating.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know hwy but this bothers me so much!) Neither of them had much if any vernix--they both came out pretty clean. I think there was rubbing with Liam but not Lochlann.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? Liam was put on my chest immediately but breastfeeding was delayed til they were done with their routine care. He was breastfed about 45 minutes after birth. Lochlann was put on my chest immediately and breastfed within the first 5 minutes of being born. He had a hard time keeping his body temp up so they wanted to keep skin to skin as long as possible. They also put heated blankets on us and turned on the heat lamp above the bed. Routine care was delayed a few hours--he had nursed several times by then

Hep B shot? Liam got his in the hospital. Lochlann got his at his 1 week pedi appt. I'm finally learning to grow a back bone and stand up for my kids at the doctor--I've always been horribly intimidated and agreed to things I didn't necessarily want (Hep B shot being one of them). After Loch's 9 month appt we decided to delay all vaccs til at least 3 and select then. Next baby will not be vacc'd at all until at least 3 and then selectively.

ETA: Just saw the pitocin question. I didn't get it at all after Liam though I was close because I hemorrhaged some. I did get picotin after Lochlann but only because they couldn't stop the hemorrhaging (much worse than after Liam). Never did I get it solely to deliver the placenta. Both times it came out easily after about 10 minutes or so. I think I gave a slight push to get Lochlann's out but I didn't have to do anything to get Liam's out.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 26th, 2009, 01:39 PM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About the pitocin.. because I already had an IV they administered it to me that way. They had taken my epi out and I could feel my uterus contracting back down because of the pit and that was pretty uncomfy LoL.

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

February 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eye ointment? We passed. I did not like the idea of having nitrates in my baby's eyes.

Vitamin K shot? We had this done. I wanted the oral kind but they did not have it on hand. I did want to decline this but since we had a c/s I gave in.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? It was cut right away because of having a c/s.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? I have no idea if this was done...

Was baby put on chest immediately? It was about 30 mins after he was born. I can't remember if he was given a bath first. My memory is fuzzy. I have a hard time remember those first couple nursings. I was just way tooo tired.

Hep B shot? We passed on this also. All of his shots are being delayed.

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? I was on Pit for like 24 hours!.. so yes.

February 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
n/a
I was like, who is Oliver's mommy?
February 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Eye ointment? Yes, the ointment they use is Erythomycin, it's to prevent any infection in the eye from the delievery.

Vitamin K shot? Yes

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? I believe they cut the cord right after Adriana was born.. I honestly don't remember.. I was in heaven when Adriana was born and vary tired after 32 hours of labor.. My DH was the one who cut the cord.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? Adriana was clean when she came out and my active labor went so fast, her head was perfect, skin, etc.. so there was no need to rub her.. I think all they did was dry her off.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? Adriana was put on my chest and stayed there for the first 1 hour. The nurses then did the exam on Adriana after that hour..

Hep B shot? Yes, Adriana is up to date on all of her shots and she's perfectly normal..

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? I was already on Pitocin for the whole 32 hours of my labor.. I was induced for medical reasons, not by choice.l

February 26th, 2009, 02:19 PM
IamMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember very little of the details so bear with me....I just didn't care about this stuff really - I let the doctors do their thing....I didn't sign or want to do anything different than was routine...so I probably had all of this....however, my baby was early and I had alot of medical issues so I was not going to argue with too much.

Eye ointment? Yes, I believe it was the new thing they use and not the nitrate stuff.

Vitamin K shot? Probably again I don't know for sure - never asked, or checked or cared.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Right away

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? He was whisked over to the peds right away - there were like 5 there waiting to check him out - since we was just about on the verge of being pre-term. I don't remember thinking they were rough housing him or anything. The did wrap him up and bring him over to me for some pictures. I don't remember him being all yucky (thank goodness - I didn't like all that goopy stuff) and in the pics he looks pretty clean!

Was baby put on chest immediately? God no - I specifically told them I didn't want this.

Hep B shot? Probably yes - I'm a big fan of vaccinations.

And another one:
I was on pitocin because I was induced - I don't remember getting a special shot to deliver the placenta - I just remember after a few minutes doc telling me to push one more time to do the placenta - well it didn't come out - he had to manual extract it - very weird! Then I got sticked up because of my episiotomy.

Harrison was then taken to the nursey since his temperature was too low and he wasn't virgorous enough. I didn't get to breast feed until 6 hours later when he was finally holding his own temp. I allowed them to give him a bottle while he was in the nursey under the heat lamps. No negative effects came of this whole experience. My boy is terrific!!!

"Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward."
Psalm 127:3

February 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eye ointment? yes

Vitamin K shot? yes

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? no

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know why but this bothers me so much!) no he was handed right to me, umbilical cord still attached while dh cut it

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? yes to both

Hep B shot? yes

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? no, I was already on a pitocin IV sense I was induced so no need for an extra shot.

February 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Eye ointment? No. The hospitals out here still use silver nitrate and will not offer erythromycin as an alternative (which I wouldn't want to use anyway). Because of the caustic nature of nitrates, I did not want that anywhere near my daughter's eyes. Whether you do the silver nitrate or the erythromycin, it's real purpose is to prevent blindness in babies born vaginally to mothers with current or previous gonorrhea and/or chlamydia infections. As I have never had either of these two STDs, I declined it and opted for a saline rinse of the eyes instead. Whether or not you are GBS+ has no bearing on the eye ointment, one has nothing to do with the other.

Vitamin K shot? No. Had we experienced a traumatic birth (after which Violet was either bruised or bleeding), we would have done it. As we did not have a traumatic birth, I felt it was an unnecessary stick and so we passed.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Yes, we waited for the cord to stop pulsating before we cut the cord. This allows the baby to receive the very last of his/her own blood supply, along with vital oxygen, nutrients, and stem cells. Cord pulsation usually stops between 10 - 20 minutes, most OBs just aren't that patient.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? No. We gently rubbed the vernix into her skin ourselves and waited 24 hours to bathe her. This allows the vernix to moisturize and protect baby's skin which is important for such tender skin.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? Yes and yes. She was immediately brought to my chest for skin-to-skin and breastfeeding. This was great for Vivi because it helped to immediately regulate her body temp and was beneficial for me because the stimulation from nursing helped me deliver the placenta easier and quicker (and without traction, which is when an impatient OB will tug on the cord to get the placenta out faster).

Hep B shot? No, this is a disease spread via bodily fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions) and as Violet wasn't at risk of exposure, we declined it.

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? Yes, but I didn't want to. "Hospital policy" blah blah blahddy blah. What really irked me was that they administered phenergan with the Pitocin without my knowledge or consent and I HATE the way phenergan makes me feel. Had I known, I would have at least told them not to give me the phenergan.

February 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b

Eye ointment? Gemma had the eye ointment. I didn't notice any reactions except for her looking kind of gooey for the first day

Vitamin K shot? Yes, again, no reaction

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Was cut by her father at delivery. No problems

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? She was rubbed to get her breathing regular and stimulate her to cry but she still had vernix until her first bath that night.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? She was put straight on my chest. I didn't breastfeed though so I allowed them to take her for the newborn check up and weighing while I was stitched up.

Hep B shot? Yes, no reaction.

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? I had pitocin during labor but it actually slowed it down. So the doctor just used massage and gentle tugging on the cord to deliver the placenta.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
February 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like hearing the differences.

Eye ointment? yes, she had the eye ointment

Vitamin K shot? yes

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? it was cut right away

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know why but this bothers me so much!) I don't remember this!? I don't think she had any vernix, but I don't remember, honestly

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? She was put on my chest immediately, then taken away because she wasn't crying very strongly. I tried to breastfeed when she was an hour old, but she had a lot of mucous she was coughing up, so she wouldn't latch. I also didn't feel very comfortable, everyone was telling me to do something different! I waited until her and I were cleaned up about 3 hours later.

Hep B shot? Yes, but next time I will pass. They threatened to call CPS if I didn't sign for it, and that they recommend most young, single moms have babies that benefit. I've never had an STD or STI, so there was really no reason.

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? Yes, my uterus was having some issues with contracting the right way. They also gave me antibiotics, which really made me mad because it was the reason I ended up with thrush.....antibiotics give me yeast infection type issues.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
February 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit

Eye ointment? Yes

Vitamin K shot? No

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? No, right after delivery

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know why but this bothers me so much!) Not really...Just kinda rubbed a bit but she didn't have much on her.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? They put her on me and she tryed to BF but didn't have any luck.

Hep B shot? Yes. But Now Im waiting on all her Vaccines.

And another one: Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? No Pit the Entire time. I really didn't want anything!!
February 27th, 2009, 01:54 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haven't yet but here is what I will be doing.....

Eye ointment? declining. There is no medical evidence that this is more effective then just water rinsing of eyes. Plus I want baby to see me clearly and not hinder that first bonding experience with "beer google" eyes LOL I would hate for someone to make my eyes all cloudy when I got my first chance to see baby, so it goes both ways for me.

Vitamin K shot? depends on labor--if forceps/vacuum are used or there is bruising of anytype on baby's head due to pressure on pelvis-YES they will get it. If nothing traumatic happens then no.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Will wait till done pulsating (about 15-20 min on average). Oh and *I* want to be the one to cut the cord NOT DH LOL

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? didn't know people did this for routine care. I do know that if baby is very sleepy and not as awake as we like we do rub baby to stimulate them, but I haven't heard of it to remove the vernix (I could see a nurse saying the reason they are doing it is to remove the vernix so not to freak out the parents that baby isn't where we want them right away... because its very common in babies who have mom's with epidural or IV drugs for childbirth.. we just try to make baby wake up more from the meds and keep them awake). I would like to wait 24 hours before baby's first bath because vernix is a GOOD thing on babies---but then I plan on giving birth in a tub LOL

Was baby put on chest immediately? If no complications baby will be placed on my chest.

Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? If no complications baby will BF before routine care. (many of our nursing checks and bracelet placement can be done with baby on mom's chest)

Hep B shot? declining, if they go into healthcare or a situation where they are around contaminated blood I would then get it.

Did you get the shot of Pit to deliver the uterus? If I was having excessive bleeding that couldn't be stopped with nipple stimulation, massage or herbs I would get pit.

Also I want to add---I don't care who does baby's first bath (staff or family can do it) but I do want to wait 24 hours on it.

edited for spelling.
February 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Eye ointment? No. The hospitals out here still use silver nitrate and will not offer erythromycin as an alternative (which I wouldn't want to use anyway). Because of the caustic nature of nitrates, I did not want that anywhere near my daughter's eyes. Whether you do the silver nitrate or the erythromycin, it's real purpose is to prevent blindness in babies born vaginally to mothers with current or previous gonorrhea and/or chlamydia infections. As I have never had either of these two STDs, I declined it and opted for a saline rinse of the eyes instead. Whether or not you are GBS+ has no bearing on the eye ointment, one has nothing to do with the other.[/b]
Thank you for that info! Now I know to decline if I am GBS+ again next time!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

February 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
Well, I am probably a horrible example, because my delivery experience was not at ALL what I had planned, but here is what we did:

Eye ointment? Yes, and Ben's eyes were both infected at birth, which no one still ever told us if this was related to the ointment or if it was more because he passed meconium before he came out...in any case, I think I would have skipped it under different circumstances.

Vitamin K shot? We did this.

Time waited to cut umbilical cord? Would have if it would have been a vaginal delivery...again, nothing went as planned for me.

Vigorously rubbed baby with towel right after birth to remove vernix? (I don't know why but this bothers me so much!) I have no idea if this was done to Ben, he had to be intubated after birth so that was the top priority. I think I would have allowed it though.

Was baby put on chest immediately? Was baby allowed to breastfeed before any routine care? Well, no, because of the section, but would have been if it had been a vaginal delivery. Ben breastfed as soon as I got out of the surgery room and he was stable.

Hep B shot? We did not do this, and still haven't. I'll probably start with this once he's a year old, I just didn't see the need at birth for him to get that vaccine.

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search