Medical sources

WTTC Graduates

For WTTC Members who are now TTC or pregnant.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To WTTC Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you have links or recommendations to medical sources on things like immunizations, why you would/wouldn't get eye ointment or a vitamin k shot, etc. at birth? Pretty much any topic relating to labor and delivery and baby care...

Michelle's thread got me thinking about what I'd choose when I give birth, and quite frankly I'm not sure. I don't just want to take someones word (no offense to any of you, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and I'm not going to take the word of some random web site either. I'm looking for actual medical sources that have the studies to back them up. This is especially important when it comes to getting my DH on board with anything I may want to do.
February 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
aBookasmommy
Im pretty much decided on everything, but I would LOVE reading material!!
February 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My advice is to contact your local Clinical Pharmacists (Hospital Pharmacist) and ask them about why they give the medications.. Pharmacists are vary knowledgeable and a great source for information.

As for immunizations.. I would talk with your Pediatrician. When your baby gets his first Pediatrician check up at the hospital, ask him/her questions about why they give the vaccines. I got all of my information from my Pediatrician.. He's wonderful and he tells me the facts..

Here's a video from MSNBC about how Vaccines DO NOT cause autism. It's vary interesting..

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...53507#27453507

You should just make your personal decision on what to do about immunizations.. I choose to protect Adriana and she got all of her scheduled vaccinations.. The more children not getting vaccinated, the greater the chance those nasty bugs will come back..

March 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
aBookasmommy
Oh Angela..do you have any info for us?!
March 1st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly I"d read, read, read, and then read some more. You need to ask someone not just in the medical community

Read the debate boards, there is a wealth of info if you search

March 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Quote:
My advice is to contact your local Clinical Pharmacists (Hospital Pharmacist) and ask them about why they give the medications.. Pharmacists are vary knowledgeable and a great source for information.

As for immunizations.. I would talk with your Pediatrician. When your baby gets his first Pediatrician check up at the hospital, ask him/her questions about why they give the vaccines. I got all of my information from my Pediatrician.. He's wonderful and he tells me the facts..

Here's a video from MSNBC about how Vaccines DO NOT cause autism. It's vary interesting..

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...53507#27453507

You should just make your personal decision on what to do about immunizations.. I choose to protect Adriana and she got all of her scheduled vaccinations.. The more children not getting vaccinated, the greater the chance those nasty bugs will come back..[/b]
Not to start a debate, but there are plenty of other reasons to selectively or delay vaccinating your child aside from the potential autism link. Also, it's important to know that just because some of us choose to selectively vax or delay vax does NOT mean that we are skipping vaccinations all together.

March 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I was also going to suggest just reading a variety of information. As far as vaccines, The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is very factual and "nonpartisan" so to speak. It simply lays the facts out for you, and you make your own decisions. Be careful listening to news programs and the such, they are often biased one way or the other. Lauren's recommendation to check out the debate board is a good one.

As far as Vit K and eye ointment, I don't have any good sources for you. Ask your OB/MW the pros and cons of each. If they, for example, tell you that there are only pros, and no cons.....then they are lying! Hopefully you have a provider that will level with you. I really enjoyed researching all this type stuff when I was preggo. I'm still reading about vaccines, especially since Drake is almost 2 months. Good luck!

Come visit my blog!
March 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am completely staying out of the vaccine comment because I just cant be reasonable about that link right now. I urge each of you to read and read and read no matter the topic and make your own decisions. Decide what is comfortable for you, but make that decision informed

March 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I suggest talking with your Drs about the options...pros and cons. Hopefully, like Nik mentioned, they will have input on both sides. Also, most hospitals have a medical library where you can access medical journals. The online journals are great for searching lots of sources at once. Just about anything you find by googing I wouldnt consider to be a credible resource.

March 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not going to start a vaccine debate either but my reasoning for doing selective/delayed vaccines really has nothing to do with autism (maybe 2%), I don't like how its assumed thats the only reason I would do it this way either...I have many other issues with the way they are given and when they are given.
I guess I don't have just one or two links, it would depend on the topic. As Niknok said the Dr. Sear's Book on vaccines is my favorite two, gives both sides and lets you make up your mind. If you do use the internet make sure that the site your looking at is a good one, usually the ones that end in .com are shady but the .org is usually good or .edu ...if you have access to medical journal site those are great. (thats mainly what I use but my site you need membership for). And with ALL sites with info and stats make sure they quote the medical research paper/journal that they got it from, if they don't-I would be weary of it. Also stay away from new reports-those are usually pretty biased one way or the other.
If you have a specific topic you are looking up feel free to pm me and I can give you a couple links I like on that topic...but I really just don't know one good location.
If you want to ask your provider, that can be great or sometimes bad---it really depends on the provider. Most, in my experience, are very set in their ways and opinions they formed when going through school and few keep up with the latest and greatest research. (not that I blame most of them there is tons of stuff coming out at all times and they have tons of different things they work with). Also remember your asking someone who makes money off of the more things you choose to do. Its kind of like asking the person who owns the ice cream store if they think ice cream or cake is better.....they are usually going to say ice cream! LOL (i'm hungery can you tell LOL)

I truely belive doing your own independent research on topics is best. Only YOU know whats best for YOUR family....don't let others just tell you whats best. Do the research and go with what your comfortable with...everything on Both sides is going to carry some type of risks. Parenting to me is all about risk assesment. You figure out what your risks are and you pick the one thats best for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search