Log In Sign Up

Mia Elizabeth's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,856
On Thursday (4-3) morning I had an appointment to have my blood pressure checked since it had been high for several weeks. When I went in it was high of course. It was re-checked a couple more times and it didn't go down. My doctor came in (even though I wasn't scheduled to have a OB checkup) and said he wanted to send me to L&D to be monitored. He told me that he would probably be inducing me next week. He also checked my cervix because I had been contracting quite a bit for a few days. I was checked on Monday and was about 1 cm. This time I was already at 2 cm.

So up to L&D I went. I was there for a couple hours and my blood pressure never went down, in fact, it went up a bit. I also had some bloodwork done which turned out fine. My doctor came up to check on me and decided he didn't want to wait until next week to induce so I was going to be induced that night or the next morning.

I got sent to an actual room and was officially checked in to the hospital. Unfortunately it wasn't going to be my doctor to deliver because he was going to be out of town on Friday. So the doctor on call came in to see me and asked if I wanted to be induced that night or wait until the morning. I decided to wait until the morning so I could get some rest and eat some dinner. My doctor went ahead and prescribed be a sleeping pill for that night so I could get some rest. Oh how wonderful that little pill was. I only woke up once to use the bathroom and slept wonderfully the rest of the night. I didn't even hear Dave (my DH) snoring all night long.

Just before 6 am the nurse came in to start my pitocin. Soon after that the doctor came in and checked me. I had already dilated to 3 cm overnight, without the pitocin. The doctor predicted that I would have her some time in the early afternoon. That sounded great to me because my labor with Alexander lasted 27 hours.

Around 7 my nurse asked if I wanted to go ahead and have the epidural. I really wasn't in too much pain at that point but she said it would take the anesthesiologist (ok, that word is way too long) about an hour to get there. I decided to go ahead and get it when I could. The epidural guy came in about 7:45. He asked what my pain was at that point on a scale of ten. It was about a 3 to 4. So we got underway with the epidural. It wasn't too bad, worse than I remembered it though. After we were all done I could feel my left leg starting to go numb. I thought "ahh great, sweet relief". Yeah, that lasted for maybe 2 contractions. Then I started feeling the contractions very strongly on my right side. The pain was steadily getting worse. The epidural guy was called again but was assisting in a c-section so it would be a while before he could get there. The contractions at this point were extremely painful. You ladies who have a drug-free childbirth amaze me. I know I couldn't do it. Dave had bought me a little pink stuffed dog that I was sqeezing the crap out of with each contraction. I also wouldn't let him touch me. I felt bad for him because he wanted to help me but there was nothing he could do.

Around 9:30 the epidural guy came back in and decided that I was still having pain because the epidural needle had slipped out a couple centimeters. He said he had no idea how it happened because he taped me up like crazy. He told me that had never happened before. I told him I was happy it was me who got to share the new experience with him. My options were for him to just put more medicine in me to help relieve the pain, but it wouldn't totally get rid of it, or I could have the epidural replaced. At this point Mia's heartbeat was dropping during the contractions, which were about 2 minutes apart. My nurse didn't want me to sit up and epidural guy said he didn't know if he could replace the epidural with me on my side. They wanted me to make the decision about what to do with the epidural, but I was in so much pain it was hard for me to decide what to do. During this time epidural guy kept putting more medicine in me and I was starting to feel a little better. So I decided to just stay with the extra medicine and not get the epidural replaced. When epidural guy came in my pain was probably a 9 and when he left it was about a 6. Not great, but better. He and the nurses could tell I was feeling a little better because my face was more relaxed.

During that time I had progressed rapidly and was almost completely dilated. I also started to feel the urge to push but I wasn't allowed to because my doctor was performing a c-section. A short time later I got the ok to start pushing. That was around 10:30. I pushed for almost 40 minutes and Mia was born at 11:09 am. My labor was only a little over 5 hours. I was amazed how quick it all went.

Mia weighed 7 lbs. 12.7 oz. and was 20 1/4 inches long. She has a little black hair that is longer in the back. The doctor said that the cord was really long and it was wrapped around her abdomen and over her shoulder. I was afraid it might have been around her neck because of her heartrate dropping with the contractions. It turns out her heartrate was dropping because I was progressing so rapidly.

At first Mia had a little breathing troubles. She was grunting with each breath. They said that was common in babies born a little early. She was taken to the nursery after a few minutes and her breathing was normal in no time. The only other problem was that they had trouble with the hearing test in one ear and had to re-test her later. She did fine on the second hearing test.

I was hoping to leave the hospital on Saturday but didn't get to because my blood pressure was still too high. We were actually packed up and ready to leave Saturday afternoon when they tested my blood pressure and told me it was too high. They made me stay 2 hours and tested it again. Still too high. So I had to stay another night. I was extremely upset and started crying. I just wanted to go home and be with my family. I was given blood pressure medicine but it wasn't really helping. On Sunday they kept re-checking me and it had went down some, just not enough to release me. It was torture being there. I kept saying that if they let me go home that it would help my blood pressure and that being stuck in the hospital was not helping me. They wouldn't listen to me though. Finally just before 5 Dave went out and said to the nurse "you're killing us in there". So the nurse called the doctor and they finally released us. I'm on blood pressure medication now and have to check my blood pressure at least 3 times a day. And, yes, my blood pressure is lower at home.

So that's the story of Mia's birth and my hospital stay. I hope you enjoyed reading it!
Last summer at the Petrified Forest.

Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Casselton, ND
Posts: 1,612
Sorry to hear about your blood pressure troubles, but I am glad to hear that her birth went so well overall!
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0