Log In Sign Up

Better late than never :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
1974's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 363
It seems so long ago now even though it hasn't even been 3 weeks. Hopefully, I can remember everything! I guess it really is true that you forget a lot about the labor.

Anyway, I was scheduled to be at the hospital on 3/20 at 6:30 to start Cervadil and than Pitocin the next morning. That day I left work at about 2:30 and went to run a couple of errands before I went into the hospital. I left Target at about 4 and when I got home I went to the bathroom and my water broke. Luckily, my husband had gotten home from work already. We headed on into the hospital and they confirmed it was my water. I was so excited that I didn't have to do the Cervadil. I was only 1 cm dilated so they decided to go ahead with the Pitocin and started it at 10:30 that night. Of course I got my epidural way before that because I am a big baby and wanted to get it over with. Unfortunately, the nurse came in and told me that I tested positive for the Strep B (my doctor's office never told me which is probably a good thing since I would've stressed out about it). I was upset about that, but they said that as long as I got Penicillin (sp?) in at least 4 hours before I gave birth the baby should be okay.

I pretty much hung out until about 3 am when a couple of nurses came in to tell me that the baby wasn't responding well to my contractions and his heartrate kept dropping. They gave me something I think was called an amniotic wash which basically just pumped warm water into me. That seemed to help the little guy out for the time being. I was then hooked up with an internal monitor for my contractions so they could get a more accurate read on them. The nurse tried too early (when I was still only dilated at 1 cm) and I was bleeding a lot from it. She tried again when I was dilated a little more and it worked a lot better (not very happy about that since it put a huge indent in my son's head).

At about 6 I started pushing. I pushed for an hour and it honestly felt like 10 minutes. I thought "wow this is great and isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be"!! I only had some pressure in my butt and that was it.

Unfortunately, Andrew had some other plans. He was facing sideways and was not making any progress in coming out. The doctor decided that I should "labor down" for an 1-1 1/2 hours to conserve my energy. Holy crap that was the most painful thing I have ever been through. I probably could've dealt with it if it only went on for 1/2 hour, but 1 1/2 hours was way too long. I seriously felt like I was pushing 3 bowling balls out of my hoo-ha. I was crying in my bed and after 1 1/2 hours I told the nurse that I just couldn't do it anymore. In the meantime, my poor DH was having a really hard time because he was watching the heart monitor and it kept dropping. Luckily, they had me facing the other way so I couldn't see. They rolled me on my back which I do not deal with well and I started throwing up. The doctor then came in and they put an oxygen mask on me. I knew that wasn't a good sign. The doctor tried to turn Andrew to face the right way but his heart rate dropped drastically so she said they were going to try the vaccum and if that didn't work they would use the foreceps. I didn't care what they did to me I just wanted my baby out and alive. She tried the vaccum for about 20 minutes but that didn't work. She then tried the foreceps and thank God those worked. Little Andrew came out beaten and bruised but otherwise looking great. It turns out the umbilical cord was wrapped around him twice which is why he couldn't turn to face the right way without his heart rate dropping. I think the next step was going to be a C-section.

After all that, he is doing amazingly well. He was only 5 pounds 11 ounces because of IUGR but was already up to 6 pounds 10 ounces 2 weeks later. He is a little piggy and I love it! He sleeps really well and is such a great baby!!

Thanks for reading my story!!
Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Casselton, ND
Posts: 1,612
Glad to hear that he made it well overall! Sorry about the vacuum and forceps though. That must have been uncomfortable.
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0