Log In Sign Up

Dakota James

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
KnKMom's Avatar Divorced, working mom
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,957
Send a message via Yahoo to KnKMom
The joke was on us!

I went in for my induction at 8 am on Monday March 31st. The dr came in and did an u/s to make sure that he was still head down. He was not engaged, but he was head down and his head was low. The dr checked me and could feel his head and I was 2-3 cm dilated. They didn't get my IV started and the pitocin going until about 10:45 am.

At about 1 pm my contractions started and they started out 2-3 minutes apart, lasting about a minute. They had been having trouble getting my contractions and baby's HB to show up on the monitor all day (we later found out that there was something wrong with the telemetry unit that they had the monitors hooked into). The nurse didnt want to believe that my contractions had started off that close together, but when they finally got them showing on the monitor she seen the prrof.

About 3:30 pm I was laying in bed, relaxing and breathing through the contractions when I felt like I really had to pee. I asked JR to help me get up and go to the bathroom. I started to sit up and felt a little gush. My first thought was that I was too late and had just peed myself. As I sat up more, there was another huge gush and then another and another. I said to JR "or maybe my water broke" We called the nurse and she came in.....yep, definitely my water! I started laughing uncontrollably and with every laugh was another gush of fluid. We finally managed to get me out of bed and into the bathroom, gushing fluid all the way. The nurse said she had never seen so much fluid in her 5 years as an OB nurse. They got housekeeping in there to clean up the mess and got me all settled again.

The dr came up at the end of the day (about 5:30 pm) to check on me before she went home. She put an internal monitor on Kota because he kept moving and we kept losing his HB. I was dialted to 5 cm. Things were going good. We talked about possibly getting an epidural soon.

I decided at about 6 pm that I did want to get an epidural and they called the anesthetist. I got my epidural at about 6:30 pm and I was feeling great! They were monitoring my pretty closely because my BP dropped pretty low.

About 10 pm the nurse came in and checked me to see if I was making and progress and said that she could no longer feel his head and that my cervix felt like it was a lot higher than it had been the last time she checked me. She went and got the u/s machine and took a peek and Kota had moved up and was working his way into a transverse position, with his head on my right. She went and called the dr. The dr wanted us to change positions and see if he would come back down and for the nurse to call her back at 11.

The nurse checked me again at about 10:50 and said that his head felt a little lower, but was still higher than it had been. I asked her what the dr was thinking and she said she wasnt sure, but she had to call her back in about 10 minutes. Not even a minute later, Dr B walked in to the room. She said that she couldnt go back to sleep and decided that she needed to be at the hospital, so she just came in. She checked ma again and said that she felt that a csection would be the best option since his head was obviously not coming down.

At that point I just wanted to make sure that he arrived healthy and whatever we needed to do to accomplish that we would do. The dr and nurse went out to call the surgeon and a couple other drs to assist with the baby and the csection. My job was to wake up my DH and inform him of what was going on. I couldnt get out of bed because of the epidural and yelling/ saying his name was not working. I started grabbing anything I could off the table next to my bed and throwing it at him. I was really starting to worry that I would be going for surgery by myself.

The anesthetist, Kevin (who also did my epidural with Kaeli and was so awesome) came back in and started preparing me for the csection. The nurse came in and got my support stockings on and got scrubs for JR to change into. And we were off to surgery.

We got down to the OR about 12:05 am on April 1st! The surgeon heard that we were having a baby boy and suggested that we could always name the baby after him (his name happened to be James ). We got all situated and they started the csection. I felt NOTHING for most of it. Kevin did an awesome job taking care of me and making sure my pain was under control.

At 12:54 am they pulled him out and the first thing I heard was Dr B saying "He's a BIG baby and yes, it's a boy!" Immediately the guesses on his weight started coming out- 10 lbs 9 oz, 10 lbs 7 oz, 10 lbs 5 oz . No one in the room could hardly wait to see how much he really did weigh.

Kota was handed off to Dr W (who ironically is the dr who almost ended up delivering Kaeli and who's nurse gave me the results of my blood test this pregnancy) Dr W checked him out, with the help of my nurse, Pat. He had APGAR scores of 9 and 10. They let JR go over and cut the cord (they had cut it but left it long so that JR could cut it, as we had asked). And finally they weighed him and Dr W yelled out 11 lbs 1 oz (seriously he laughed)! I said "HOW much???" and Kevin repeated it for me. As I lay on the table in total shock , while they stitch me up, I say to Dr B "How much is my weight lifting limit?" And she answers "Not him!"

The nurse brought Kota over so that I could see him and touch him and took a couple pics of JR, Kota, and me together. Then she took him upstairs. I was surprised that the nurse actually carried him in her arms up to the Birth Center and Dr B followed right behind her to go check him out.

They finished stitching me up and as we left the OR I said "Alright, let's go count the rolls on that baby!"

Once we got upstairs, I finally got to hold my little man and I was instantly in love.

Kota is a great baby. He is so calm and quiet. He's a good eater....his first bottle he ate 1.5 oz and has continued to eat 1.5-2 oz per feeding. He left the hospital weighing 10 lbs 9 oz.

My little man was the talk of the hospital! All of the nurses just loved him! One of the nurses did some looking and from what she could find, the biggest baby ever born at that hospital was 13 lbs and that was many many many years ago. The last biggest baby anyone could remember was 11 lbs 4 oz and was born in the early '80s.

I am still in total shock at how big he actually is! I really only thought that he would be somewhere around 9 lbs. And after having so much fluid, I really thought maybe it was all the fluid that made them think he was so big.

My little man, fresh from the oven

The Proof

Our OR pic

The first time I got to hold him
Reply With Quote
April 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,747
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
oh wow Congrats. Thats one big baby. What a great birth story
Reply With Quote
May 2nd, 2008, 12:11 AM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 4,249
I had an April Fools baby in 2007. Mine wasn't nearly as big as yours though!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0