Log In Sign Up

Will's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2008, 09:03 PM
jchilds's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,098
So I'm almost three weeks late posting this.

I had a repeat induction due to my blood pressure on May 7 (my mother's birthday). At the doctor on May 6 my bp was 160 something over right about 100 so since my main doctor was at the hospital the following day we scheduled the induction for then.

We arrived at the hospital right at 7 am as scheduled and were taken to L&D fairly quickly. First they drew my blood and tried to put in the IV. The first time didn't take so they had to restart the IV in my left hand. I hate getting an IV and eventhough they deadened it with lidocaine, I still got hot and sweaty and came close to passing out. It didn't hurt, just the thoughts of it and feeling the needle moving around made me sick. I was GBS positive so the doctor said they'd give me the penicillin first for an hour or so and then start the pitocin. The nurse warned me that the penicillin might make my arm ache some but that was normal. After about 30 minutes I had a shooting pain all the way up my arm that was quite painful. When then nurse came back in to check on me I asked if when she said it would ache did she mean it would hurt really bad, lol. The nurse checked and it was flowing too fast so she turned down the IV and almost immediately the pain stopped. That was much better! She also told me that the doctor has said to go ahead and start the pitocin so at 8:30 am it was started.

Pretty soon I started having regular contractions, but they weren't anything too painful at all. About an hour later my doctor finally showed up in my room for the first time and checked me. I was at about 3 cm and 75% effaced. I had arrived at 2-3 cm an 50% so I had progressed some, but just barely. He told me he had a procedure at 10:30 and would break my water either right before or right after that, depending on when he had time. About 10:20 he came in and broke my water. I had never had that done so I was a little anxious and although it was uncomfortable, it wasn't too bad at all. He said the contractions should start to pick up and I could have my epidural whenever I was ready. They contractions still weren't too uncomfortable so I decided to wait a little bit since I was still at 3 cm. It wasn't long at all before the contractions really started getting strong - he wasn't lying about them doing so after breaking my water. At about 11:30, I called the nurse and asked for my epidural. She came in pretty soon afterwards and told me they had notified the anesthesiologist but he was in an emergency and I would have to wait. By this point the contractions were right on top of each other and majorly uncomfortable so I was stuck. I asked if they could give me something else for pain in the mean time and she said my anesthesiologist wouldn't allow anything within an hour of giving the epidural. Great! Finally about 12:30 or so the anesthesiologist showed up so I got my epidural around 12:45 or 1. Getting the epidural was something new for me also and didn't hurt that bad at all; it was much better than getting the IV.

After the epidural I was waiting for it to kick in. I started feeling a little better pretty quickly, but it wasn't long before the feeling was coming back. Leave it to me for the epidural to not take. At this point DH had gone to get some lunch and check on Rylie since they wouldn't let him in the room while I got the epidural anyway. Not long after the pain started coming back the nurse tried to put some monitor on my uterus (she said the external monitor wasn't picking up as well). While she was doing that (about 5-10 minutes) she told me I had just gone from 5 to 6 to 7 cm that quickly. By this point I was in terrible pain again. She stayed a little while longer and didn't tell me where I was but said she was going to get the doctor and get everything ready for delivery. She was gone for what seemed like forever, although I'm sure it wasn't that long. Before anyone got back I started really feeling the need to push so I called the desk and told them I needed someone in there because I had to push. Both nurses and my doctor came in quickly but DH wasn't back yet. The doctor handed me the phone and I tried calling his cell - no answer. I tried my parents cells - no answer. The doctor asked where he was and I told him I'm sure he was in the waiting room so he called the nurses station and had them call him. Thankfully he came right in just as I was starting to push (about 2 pm).

Unlike when I had Rylie, I felt like the pushes weren't doing much and was imagining myself pushing for a long time. Thankfully that wasn't the case and before long I was making good progress. Once he was crowning, I gave one more push and his whole body popped out all at once. DH said the nurse barely caught him, lol.

Will weighed 7lbs 9oz and was 19.5 inches long. His Apgar scores were 8 and 9. I had a second degree tear that required some stitches, but that was it. By that point I didn't care; I was totally in love with that new little guy!

thank you Bokkechick for my adorable siggy!
Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Aimee MommyX3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,549
Send a message via MSN to Aimee MommyX3 Send a message via Skype™ to Aimee MommyX3
Congratulations on your baby boy! Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 27,408
Excellent birth story! Glad you made it all the way through w/ hardly much pushing.
Check out hEvan @ http://www.etsy.com/store/hEvan
for some great handmade items.
All proceeds go to a family struggling w/ infertility!

Reply With Quote
June 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Jaime23's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 6,759
Congratulations, I am so happy they found your hubby in time!!! Sorry your epidural didn't work, but you sound like you did a fantastic job!!! What a beautiful family!!!


Thank You Emma (pixie_pink) for my siggy!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0