Log In Sign Up

Cody's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM
~*LauraFL*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,183
On the morning of May 27th, I had my 40 week appointment and an internal to check my progress. It wasn't much of a change and I was out of the office pretty quickly. We talked over the induction schedule for the 29th and I was on my way. Later that day while shopping at Walmart I got hit with a contraction that I knew was not a BH. Now I know the difference! I almost didn't get out of the store with my purchases. I got home and rested a bit. This was about 2. I had these contractions consistently for about 12 hours when I started bleeding - assuming the bloody show. I called the hospital at about 3 am and they said to come in.

We went in and were disappointed to find out that I was only dilated to 2cm. Same as before. They kept me there for a couple of hours before calling my doctor (who was due in the hospital for surgery anyway). She said she would stop by at 9am to check me. When she did, I was only 2 still! She decided to break the water and settle me in. When the water was expelled, she discovered meconium. So I knew I wasn't going to get the exact birth experience I wanted. He would need some respiratory support.

I had to go through one bag of IV fluids before they brought in the doctor to put in the epi. By then, I was in quite a bit of pain - but still failing to progress cervical wise. They started the epi, but because I have low blood pressure and a low heart rate (my resting is in the 40s) they had to be very careful. It had to go in and progress in strength very slowly. And it took a long time to fully take effect - we had to call another doctor in to consult because it wasn't working at 100%.

During this time I had a wonderful nurse. I was in labor during her whole shift and she was with me the whole time. She was soft spoken, sweet, encouraging, caring and gentle. I mention this because when I was ready for pushing, there was a shift change. :-(

It took 10 hours for me to become fully dilated. Pitocin could never go past 2 because the baby wasn't handling it well, his heart rate kept dropping. At one point, they put it back at 1. The last 10% of progress took so long the whole room was frustrated! I was so impressed with my doctor - she sat at the edge of my bed for 2 hours before I finally dilated completely. Throughout my whole pregnancy I felt she was detached from me as the patient, but she proved me wrong. She never left my side - and didn't leave it all up to my husband and the nurse.

By 7pm I was dilated and ready to push. I thought it would come quicker now. It was just me, DH and my doctor when I started pushing. The doctor was encouraging and helpful and I felt quite calm. It was a peaceful environment and I was hopeful. Then... shift change and the new nurse came in. She came in - loud, brash and irritating. Yelling at me to push push push! I became so distracted and annoyed - this quiet,peaceful experience was disrupted by the loud lady in red scrubs! The doctor was even irritated by her presence.

I pushed for 3 hours. It was torture. The pain wasn't there, it was the lack of oxygen. I couldn't breathe correctly and I felt like I was suffocating. Towards the end I was hysterical and begging for a c-section. I couldn't get the baby past my pelvic bone... it just wasn't happening. I would push, he would move but then shoot right back in. Like he didn't want to come out! My poor husband - we had written in the birth plan that he didn't want to see anything, didn't want to cut the cord. He is not good with blood, hospitals or anything of the sort. But he had to help hold my legs back and the poor guy saw everything. Every single thing that happened. I was so proud of him - he sucked it up and did what he had to do to help me. Too bad that whenever he tried to say any encouraging words, all i heard was the lady in red yelling "push push push - you aren't pushing!!!!"

Finally,after my last request for a c-section, and the 3rd hour coming up the doctor said we could try using the vaccum. She looked me square in the eye and said very firmly that if we used the vaccum we could do it once. And, she told me that she is not strong enough to use it to pull out the baby so I would have to do most of the work and push effectively. For the last hour I was so exhausted and wasn't breathing well so my pushing was terrible and almost worthless. She was very firm about this and I knew then she meant business. She put on the rest of her green scrubs, they got a better light, we got ready, I took my last breath and then there he was. I finally birthed my baby.

Because of the meconium, they had to whisk him over to the respiratory table about 3 feet away and get his airway suctioned out before he had his first cry. As they did that, the placenta came out and my poor husband. He didn't move fast enough away from me and now he is plagued with that image forever!

Baby scored nines, got cleaned up and was given to me. My whole life I waited for this, I finally had my baby. I will never forget it.

That is my story.

Cody James
7lbs 12oz
21 inches


Thank you to Ashley for my super fabulous siggy!

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Posts: n/a
What an amazing story! I'm sorry you had the brash nurse...with me it was the opposite, the OB and Resident I had were the ones that yelled. You're right, it is so frustrating and discouraging! I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Congratulations on your beautiful son.
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 27,408
That really sucks about the nurse. BLAH! Your son is an adorable little guy!
Check out hEvan @ http://www.etsy.com/store/hEvan
for some great handmade items.
All proceeds go to a family struggling w/ infertility!

Reply With Quote
June 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Jaime23's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 6,759
Congratulations!! He has got to be one of the cutest babies ever!!! What a great picture of you and him!!!!


Thank You Emma (pixie_pink) for my siggy!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0