Log In Sign Up

birth of Joshua Haress

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
MamaJess0008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York, not the city
Posts: 7,121
Send a message via MSN to MamaJess0008 Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJess0008
So here is a little run down of how his birth went.....

Got up at 420am, got a shower and got dressed. made sure last min things were around. and we left for the hospital at 525am.

Got to the hospital about 615am and went right upstairs and reported to the nurses station. they showed me to my room where id be the whole time of my stay and i got into a gown. they wanted to listen to the baby for 20mins and get a strip and then they came in to do my IV, which actually to my suprise she got on the first time, thankfully she put lidocane gel on both my hands and let it numb up some before she attemped. so thats in and they start a fast bag to get me going. by this time it was 820am.

i walk back to the OR at 900am and they start trying to do my spinal at 904am.

Well.....my spinal was prolly the most time consuming of the whole procedure. The first guy just couldnt get it in. the second person decided to try a different technique, after the first guy poked me about 100000 times, oohhh yea my back looks niceeee its more bruised then my incision!(the or was sooo cold to everyone i guess and i was sitting there sweating sooooo bad having trouble breathing leaning over my big ol' belly, my bp was 170/85 and my heartrate was running 125..my dr came in and was talking to me they were all thanking me for being so patient, and they got cool washcloths and were rubbing my neck and arms and forehead, then my dr started fanning me with something he found-lol that was the talk of the floor because my dr is very dry and just isnt known to do them types of things lol).

well the second person decided to start an epidural and go from there, she got it and injected the spinal but they had the catheter run inside it just in case. when i was finally numb-after nearly 1hr of poking, they laid me down, draped me up and put my urinary cath in. Then it was time to begin.

Dr shaw said he was starting and i felt soooo sick to my stomach blahhh but i was sooooo much more alert then i was with Daemian in 2000. the anest gave me some meds for nausea and they brought my mom in.

she is sitting on my right side and everytime i turned my head that way id feel sicker and yep i did throw up and let me tell ya that antacid they give you before surgery DOES NOT taste good coming back up!! my mom had to help clean my face and neck up, i was so embarresed. b

but anyway so next thing i know dr is saying 1min til baby, and then i couldnt breathe and could breathe sooooooo well all in one moment!! he was out 10:01am.....sadly the first thing i asked was-how is his face-i feel bad now for asking it but i did. dr said he was fine from what he could see and then i asked if he was big, dr said not as big as my first.....and brought him over for me to see him.

then he was handed off to the nurses screaming and trying to eat his hands and peeing all over.

dr closed me up amd when he was doing that i asked about baby's apgars and my dr said by the sounds of it they were pretty good lol baby wouldnt stop screaming and moving all over, finally they brought him over with my mom and she sat there with me for like 10mins before they said they were going to the nursery

then when the dr was done with me he stepped over to my head said congrats and he'd see me in a little bit. they cleaned me up some and transfered me back to my bed and OMG i thought they was gonna drop me to the floor when they rolled me haha.

so off to recovery we go, i wanted my head raised and the nurse asked the anest if it was alright-because they need to watch your bp for it being too low first-and he said just a little bit for now. so we get to recovery and my bp is coming up bit by bit, finally it got above 100/60 and i was allowed to sit up more which was great.

i still cant believe im so alert and all that it was amazing. they brought the baby in about 15mins later after he had his bath and we started nursing....he has a poor latch and is sucking just on the tip and i was bruised by 400pm friday. so i felt defeated.

then he ended up sleeping all the rest of the day and would only eat 10cc at a time of what i was pumping. lol now he has for sure caught up he is eating 3-4oz every 4hrs now. but he isnt spitting up so im ok with making sure he has enough.

they were only supposed to let me 'dangle' friday night and not fully get out of bed until saturday- which basically meant sitting on the edge of the bed but the 11-7am nurse was AWESOME and let me get up and at first i thought i was dieing really i did....and then we started walking just a bit, we went to the bathroom and i got cleaned up some and brused my teeth, then walked back to bed and laid back down for the night with my wonderful PCA-i really missed that the next morning when they took all my stuff out haha. but was happy to get out of bed and sit in the rocker, thats where i spent most of my time i hated getting back in the bed.

getting up and down was really the hardest part of the recovery. and im not wanting to bother people by asking for help so that had been tough. dr asked if we wanted to go home monday and i said ok, but he said really you can stay until tuesday if you need to....after i came home i sure wish i had stayed that extra day.

i ended up with a kidney infection from the cath and was in urgent care by wednesday getting antibiotics.

im just really glad Joshua is doing so well.

here are his stats

Joshua Haress
Friday May 30th 10:01am
7lbs 15oz
-his length has been disputed was recorded as 20in in the hospital but at his first pedi appt at 1wk old he was only 18 1/2in and then at 1wk 5days at wic he was 18 3/4 so yea no way he was 20in at birth lol
apgars 9 and 9.

i am in love!

Thank you claire1979 for the cute siggy!! =)

Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,636
Ah, DDB! I can't imagine going through all those sticks for a spinal! OMG, I would've passed out! YIKES, about the UTI! That's got to be miserable along with recovery from the c/s. I know what it feels like not wanting to ask others to do for you, but you know you are unable to do it alone. Keep your head up. Joshua is a beautiful baby & you have a great story to share with him. When are you two gong back home?

~Thanks 3Daughters for my lovely siggy!~
Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,376
I hope you are feeling better by now. Congratulations on your little boy!

Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Posts: n/a
I'm so glad things went well for you! Congrats again!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0