Log In Sign Up

Adrian Lloyd's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 28,853
I started having contractions 2 days before Adrian was due. They'd last up to 18 hours and then fizzle out. This happened 4 times between June 5 and June 14. On the evening of June 17 I had a bloody show. I woke up at 5 am on June 18 with contractions. They were the same as they had been the previous 4 times.

As the day went on the contractions never got into a good pattern. They'd be a certain number of minutes apart for a couple hours and then space out. They'd be really strong for several contractions and then they'd go back to being piddly for a few contractions. It was really emotionally exhausting, particularly since he was already 11 days late by then.

We tried several things. Walking, changing position, etc. Nothing did anything to change them from their weird unpredictableness. After 15 hours of this it was clear something more needed to be done. He had to come out. I asked my midwife to check me and I was 3 cm and 50% effaced so something was happening, just very, very, very slowly.

We tried the herb cottonroot. While it did bring on more predictable and stronger contractions, Adrian did not react well to it. His heartrate went down a bit and would only come up once they had worn off so after three doses we didn't use that anymore. So then we did castor oil. Usually that works within 2-3 hours.

After 3 hours nothing had happened so my midwives suggested giving up for the night and trying something else in the morning. To try to knock out the contractions completely they had me get in the tub. I still was having contractions, but not as bad and I did NOT like being in the tub AT ALL. I decided I was not going to use it for the birth itself. Before my midwives headed home I had them check me again and I was 4 cm and 70% effaced. In about 4 hours I had barely progressed.

My midwives left around midnight or so. We headed up to bed. I laid down and immediately had to get up. Just my luck the castor oil took 3 ˝ hours to kick in for me... just after the midwives left! I was having diarrhea and major contractions that I had the need to moan through to cope with them. We called my midwife and she said to let her know if anything changed, but it was likely this would be a passing thing and wouldn't work into a good pattern.

Around 1 or so my friend came in the bathroom with me to talk to me and asked if I felt like I wanted to get in the tub. I said yes, I did! So we headed down to the basement and on the way I stripped off what I was wearing and hopped in the tub just before another contraction hit. They were coming every 3ish minutes and were very, very strong. The tub felt great this time. My friend called my midwife and told her I was naked and in the tub and after a little cursing (my midwife had barely gotten home by this point) she said she was on her way and if I needed to push to have me blow like through a straw and call her right away.

Very soon after I got in the tub transition started. I was a typical mom in transition. I couldn't do it, wanted them to take the baby out however they could, wanted drugs, and blamed it all on Eve. My friend was an incredible support at this point (I was at her home waterbirth in December). She was actually about the only person I'd believe at that point that I was doing a halfway decent job. The pain was very intense.

My one midwife got back to the house sometime after 1:30 and the other midwife got there a bit later since she lives further away. A little after 2 my body pushed in the middle of a contraction. It surprised me and I looked at my midwife wide-eyed and said it was too soon to push. She said if it hurt to push to not push, but if it felt okay to go ahead and push. It felt good so I let my body go with pushing.

I wanted to know where he was in there as far as how much further he had to go to get out so I reached in and touched his head the whole time I was pushing. It was pretty amazing to feel him get closer and closer to coming out. I could feel the bag of water just in front of his head. At some point prior to him emerging it popped. I have no idea when.

A contraction ended with his head on my perineum. Trying to push without a contraction hurt so I just withstood that pain for the few seconds between contractions. Probably that was good since it allowed everything to stretch slowly. The next contraction his head came out. That felt great. I reached down and guided his head out and then the next push got his shoulders out. Then I pulled him the rest of the way out and put him on my chest. I had pushed for 15 minutes. It was only later that I realized I had instinctually delivered my own baby!

He was covered in vernix (definitely not expected for a baby born 12 days late), but otherwise assessed as a 41 weeker. He pinked up really fast and had apgars of 9 and 10. For the first time I didn't have any sign of significant bleeding once the placenta detached. I took the herb Lady's Mantle anyway just in case due to my history. Once the placenta was out I got out of the tub and moved to Cameron's bed (we had brought it down just for that purpose).

Adrian Lloyd was born on June 19th at 2:24 am. He was 8 pounds 9 ounces and 20” long and had a 15” head. From the time the contractions got very bad until he was born was a little more than two hours. I don't even want to add up all the time of the four false alarms plus the day before he was born (that alone from the time I woke up in the morning until he arrived was 21 ˝ hours).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Reply With Quote
June 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,376
What a great story!! Congratulations!

Reply With Quote
June 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 2,402
Oh my gosh - what a time you had! I'm so happy that you are both well and most importantly that he has arrived! I'm sure those last few days took an amazing amount of strength to get through. Congratulations on your new little man!
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

Reply With Quote
June 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,977
WoW that sounds like a great experience--thanks for sharing!!!! Congrats again!!
Reply With Quote
June 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orlando-ish Florida
Posts: 10,919
wonderful birth story! I think it's awesome you were able to deliver him and pull him up to you
Visit my photography page
Erin, Mama to 6 little birds

Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
Little Mrs Sunshine
Posts: n/a
congrats heather! I love your birth story! a lot of parts reminded meof my own story (the labor that went on for weeks, but REAL labor only last just over 2 hours hehehe) thats sooooooooooo cool you delivered him yourself! you are such an inspiration!
Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: H-ville, TX
Posts: 2,492
Great job mom!
~Angela, wife to Joe, mommy to Brandon and Logan~
Reply With Quote
June 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
brookes630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,469
I guess all that I can say is WOW!! That is quite an amazing story/experience. Congrats!!!

Reply With Quote
June 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ulysses, NE
Posts: 8,341
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
wow heather that is so awesome!!! I wish I was brave enough to do that!!! You are great! Congrats!!
Rachael wife to Shaun, mommy to Jarrett (11) Serenity (3) and Beauden (born 3/3/12) stepmom to Kamryn (9)
Reply With Quote
June 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
jenslittlemen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,263
what a great story, butter! he's adorable!!!!

isn't it a neat feeling that u delivered your own baby... guiding his head out, etc. congrats!!!!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0