Log In Sign Up

The birth of Asher Gage

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Posts: n/a
Asher Gage F
September 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM
7lbs 14oz 20 inches

It all started Thursday night. I started having contractions every 5-6 minutes apart and after calling L&D and trying the things she said (drinking water & laying on my left side) we were off to the hospital. Got there and got hooked up to the monitors. I was almost at 3 cm. They monitored me for 2 hours and checked again and I was still at 3. So false labor. I was contracting but they weren't doing anything so back home we go. Friday was a normal day. We ran errands and paid bills and such. I paid a few in advance since I knew the big day was coming. I was supposed to be discussing a possible induction with my doctor at my appointment that Monday. laugh.gif We went out to dinner and then shopping and I walked those stores like crazy. Got home, took a warm bath and later that evening I started contracting pretty hard. I started timing them and they were 8-9 minutes apart so I just went on to bed. Woke up at 5AM in horrible pain. I timed a few in bed and they were coming every 5 minutes and lasting over a minute. I got up and took 2 Tylenol and downed 2 glasses of water. Tried going back to bed but they were still coming. Got online and timed them and they were at 4 minutes. I started pacing the living room and kitchen and the more I walked, the mor intense they got. I decided to try a warm bath. Laid in the tub for around 20 minutes and had 4 contractions. Decided it was the real deal so I got out, got dressed and called my mom. Called the lady who would be coming to the house to watch Ethan and then woke up Glynn. He thought I was joking! I finally convinced him I was for real and he rushed around getting ready. It was around 9AM at this point. My mom and babysitter arrived around the same time so off we went. Got to the hospital and they took me up to L&D. Got hooked up to the monitors and the nurse checked me. She goes "Well, someone's having a baby today!". All I could say was for real? I was at 5cm. Yay! So Glynn and my mom get busy calling people and updating them and such. I laid in bed and chilled with them for about an hour or so. I was still having contractions every 5 minutes or so but they weren't too bad. I was breathing my way through them. The nurse comes in and checks me and to her surprise I was at 6 cm. Even though I wasn't contracting much, the ones I was having were getting the job done. She says that if my water didn't break on it's own soon, the doctor would be in to break it for me and that should get things really going. My doctor was in surgery so it was around 45 minutes later before he gets there and breaks my water. He checks me and I was 7 cm! My contractions were around every 4 minutes at this point and he was joking around with me about sending me home because I was smiling too much. Honestly, the pain wasn't really that bad. I was surprised but grateful since I was trying to avoid an epidural or any pain meds really. Labored for awhile and joked around with my family in between contractions. 3 hours went by and the nurse would check me every hour and I was stuck at 7 cm. I was bummed since I had been progressing so well on my own. To stall like that just sucked. So after the third hour the nurse brings in the evil Pitocin drip. I seriously hate that stuff! Within minutes I went from fairly painful but tolerable contrax every 3 minutes to seriously intense contractions coming every minute. I think I lasted through maybe 5 contractions before asking for pain meds. The nurse explains to me that if I wanted an epidural I needed to get it then because it would probably take awhile to get since all the anesthesiologists were in surgery. I decided to just get a shot of Stadol in my IV. This was around 2PM. It took the edge off but made me extremely sleepy. I could still feel the contractions though. I was sleeping in between them. After about 20-30 minutes I couldn't even sleep between them because they were one on top of the other. I buzzed the nurse to tell her I needed more and she says I have to wait at least 30 minutes because I can only have 1 shot an hour. What?!? At this point I became VERY vocal. A few of the things I said in between watching the clock:

To my mom who kept telling me to just breathe through the pain: "If I hear the word breathe one more #%*$ time, I'm gonna scream!"

To Glynn and my MIL, who kept crowding my bed and grabbing my hands: "Stop #%*$ touching me already!" I then contradicted myself by grabbing Glynn's hand during the next contraction.

To the nurse: "That stuff doesn't work for ######!" referring to the Stadol and "Why the hell did you start that ###### anyway?" referring to the Pitocin.

I was also telling everyone that "I can't do this anymore. Someone else do it", "I want to take a bath now!", "Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!" and "#%*$ get him OUT already!"

Yeah, it was a FUN 30 minutes. Finally it was 3PM and the nurse walks in with the drugs. I yelled out "Finally!" So she puts it in the IV and.... nothing! No relief, not even a little. She checks me and I was at 9 cm! Almost there. At this point Glynn and two of my sisters were in the room with me and I was still screaming that I couldn't do it anymore in between contrax. My sister was all like "Get the epidural! Get the epidural!" Which annoys me now since she knew how much I wanted to avoid one. I finally screamed at her that it was too #%*$ late because I was already at a 9. Besides, I'd made it that far, why would I cave now? At one point I felt like I had to pee so I had my mom get the bedpan. Only I couldn't pee. I kept feeling the need to push. I tell my mom that she needs to tell the nurse to check me because he was coming. Sure enough, I was complete. They leave the room to get things ready and that was seriously the longest wait ever, even though it was only like 2 minutes. They break the bed down and the nurse tells me to start pushing. I push ONCE and she tells me to stop because he was right there and we had to wait on the doc. WHAT? I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. My body was pushing completely on it's own. Another nurse runs in and says she doesn't know where the doctor is but she hopes he was on his way. I started freaking a little at this point. He arrives a few minutes later and I start pushing as soon as he walks through the door. He's like wait, wait, let me get my gloves on! I push once more and he goes "Well, he has a head full of hair!" Asher was crowning at this point and OMG, it hurt so much more than it did with Ethan. I was practically screaming at this point. One more push after his head was out and out he came! My beautiful baby boy. He was more perfect than I could've ever imagined. He leaves him sitting on my belly for a bit and I couldn't stop stroking his cheek and marveling over how perfect he was. They take him over to the warmer to wash him up and weigh/measure him and the doctor starts stitching me up. I only tore a little. It was kinda funny because when he first started stitching me up I could feel it and I'm all OUCH! The doctor looks up at me with a surprised face and says you can feel that? Um yeah, dude! He's like, hmm guess I need more Lidocaine. Ya think??

Overall it was so much different than my labor with Ethan. Other than the Pitocin and Stadol, it was the birth I had envisioned this time around. If I hadn't needed the Pit I honestly think I could've went completely drug free. I was proud of myself though because the nurses informed me later that they very rarely see a woman deliver without an epidural. The recovery is much easier this time around too. I walked to my post partum room and was getting in and out of the bed by myself an hour later. The bleeding's no where near as bad as it was after Ethan either. I feel pretty good.

I still can't believe I'm a mom of two. It's surreal. I'm so in love with both of my boys though. I was worried at first that having Asher would somehow made me love Ethan less but it seriously just came naturally. I still love Ethan just as much as I did before Asher came along. I can't wait to watch these boys grow up and see them bond. Right now Ethan doesn't know what to think of Asher but he's still so young.

So there you have it. All the gory details.

10 minutes before pushing.

Reply With Quote
September 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,274
He's BEAUTIFUL! Congrats!! Love his name, btw

Reply With Quote
September 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,635
~Whitney mommy to Zoe 9/26/08 and Zachary 3/2/12~

Reply With Quote
September 18th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,554
He is so cute!! Congrats!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0