Log In Sign Up

Elliott William

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
MrsRodgers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 2,068
Send a message via Yahoo to MrsRodgers
As of my dr. appointment on the 16th my dr. decided that I was to be induced because of my history of miscarriage, having to use Heparin and my age (Ugh, why does he always bring that up??). So he said, ok I've scheduled you for Pitocin early Thursday morning or you we can try Cervadil Wednesday night and then go to Pitocin. We decided to go in Wednesday night--it was the next day!! DH and I were a little shell shocked--after waiting and wondering when Elliott was going to come; here it was the next day!

Wednesday evening around 5:30 we went into L&D and they had me change into one of their lovely gowns and then a resident came in and checked my cervix--still only a fingertip and 75% effaced. He came back around 8 p.m. and put in the Cervadil. DH and I watched tv and the nurse gave me a sleeping pill--I was not too keen on it but figured with a long day ahead of us the next day I needed sleep. Shortly after all that both DH and I went to sleep.

About 5 a.m. I woke up with contractions. I started them on my own!!!! They weren't too bad but I was so excited that I couldn't go back to sleep. Around 7 or so the resident came in and took out the Cervadil and they started me on Pitocin. I was good for about 9 with the contractions. DH was a HUGE help--rubbing my feet, massaging my hands, distracting me. We were also watching tv!! lol. The Pitocin was an ever increasing dose and by 9 I really was having a hard time focusing and the contractions were on top of each other. DH was doing his best and even though I would really get into a zone I was really feeling badly so they gave me an IV painkiller. It took the edge off but I could still feel the contractions and I did my best to work through them. At some point around 11 the anesthesiologist came in and said so I hear we're getting an epidural blah blah blah and I told him that it was kind of early and I was still managing. Then the nurse midwife came in and talked to me, she said that the resident who came in to check me (different resident) told them I was ready for the epidural which I never said, so she went out and explained to him that there was a miscommunication by the resident and I didn't need the epidural right then. I was still only 2 cm at that time!!!

My DH's surrogate mom arrived and was sitting with us in the delivery room, talking and keeping my mind off things (she is great, DH's mom died 10 years ago and he needed someone there--his family never came to the hospital but that's another story...anyway as a kid he practically grew up at his friend's house and she has kinda taken him in as a son and me as a daughter in law--its great) Then by about noon the contractions were getting out of control--I've never encountered pain like that in my life. I waited as long as I could but finally when the nurse came in I told her I was ready for the epidural. So around 12:30 they kicked my surrogate MIL and DH out and said the anesthesiologist would be right in. YEAH RIGHT!!! None came back into my room until around 1:15! I was going through the worst contractions I'd felt without anyone there to help me focus or rub my feet or anything. Finally he came in and gave me the epidural--I think getting it was worse than the contractions because I could hardly bend over my belly and the contractions were constantly coming and it was hard to sit still.

They let DH and surrogate MIL come back in and then she left to go get my stepdaughter from school and bring her back to the hospital. I was so fried from the contractions and from finally having some pain relief, I slept on and off the rest of the day. By about 3 the first resident who was in to see me was back on shift and he came in and said I'd gone from 2 cm to 8 cm!! In about an hour!!! They tapered off the Pitocin and we were now just waiting for those last 2 cm. Also when the resident checked me he said my water bag was really bulging and just after he said that, my water broke!!! Unfortunately, there was meconium in it and that scared me because I knew the neonatologist would have to see Elliott right after he was born and I didn't know what he had swallowed or breathed in.

Because they tapered off the Pitocin, my contractions became irregular and slowed down so I didn't dilate to 10 for another 2 hours!! so they spiked up the Pitocin. I was worried the whole time about Elliott sitting in that nasty fluid, but they had a scalp monitor on him and I could hear his heartbeat was ok.

Finally around 5:30 the nurse came in and said, ok now its time to push. So she told me what to do and told DH what to do and I got down to pushing. Even though I had the epidural, they told me to lay on my left side to get the baby to turn his head facing down so all my meds for the most part went to my left side so I could feel pretty much everything on the right!! I could feel the contractions as they were coming--not fun, but they told me when to push because it felt like they were pushing him out. My OB had been in and out a few times and then around 7 he told me that it looked like Elliott would be there in another 30 -40 minutes. It must have given me motivation to get it over with because I pushed like none other and 5 minutes later my OB had his gear on.

I had to have an episiotomy because his head was too big to mke it out without tearing me further (I have a 3rd degree tear and loads of stitches--OW!). So, he did that and then Elliott's head popped out. They cleaned him out good before he could breathe in any of the meconium. Then one more push and the rest of him came out!! I've never
felt more relieved. The neonatologist said that he was fine--the meconium never went down into his lungs or stomach. And I heard my little man cry and both DH and were in tears.

It was 14 hours of hard work, but Elliott William is the best thing I've ever done.
<span style="font-family:Verdana">

Reply With Quote
September 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the mountain state
Posts: 11,860
thank you for sharing your story!

congrats on your little man!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

Reply With Quote
September 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,635
Aw, I'm glad he got here safe and sound! Congrats on your baby boy!!!
~Whitney mommy to Zoe 9/26/08 and Zachary 3/2/12~

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0