Log In Sign Up

Jakob Kelly

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Mommy to Thomas & Jakob
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 3,684
Jakob Kelly
Born: October 09, 2008 @ 6:42pm
Weight: 8lbs 1oz
Length: 19in
Gestational Age: 37wks 1 day but aged to 36 wks

The story actually begins the week before at my weekly appointment on 10/02/08. I was had my weekly NST and of course Jakob would not hold still at all. The doctor and midwife were unable to get a base heart rate. It was bouncing from 100 to 180 the whole 45 min. I was still having contractions every 5 min but they were not strong enough to be of any real concern. My blood pressure was still high. I think the 150ís/90ís, but went down when I laid on my left side for 10 minutes. I was having headaches and spilling protein in my urine so the midwife decided to have me do 24 hour urine that I would bring with me when we did a repeat NST on Monday the 6th.
I brought my collection in with me on Monday. My BP was still running high and I had protein in my urine. My blood pressure went down the rest on the left side. This time Jakob stayed relatively still and passed the NST with flying colors. My contractions were still every 5 minutes and I was told when they got uncomfortable or closer together to head to the hospital.
The doctorís office did not call on Tuesday or Wednesday so I assumed my 24hr collection was fine. I knew it probably wasnít but I was being optimistic. On Wednesday night I felt Jakob drop and I was in a lot of pain from the pressure and the consistent contractions. I figured I would let the midwife check me at my appointment in the morning.
Well I wake up at 7:00 am on the 9th. I take a shower and put my son in his bedroom. I texted my husband begging him to come home because I was shaky and dizzy. He was not able to. I start to feel better so I drop my son off at my dadís and head to my 9:00am appointment. I get there and I am still spilling protein in my urine and my blood pressure is in the 160ís/100ís. It went down again after I laid on my left side. To my surprise I was taken to the doctorís exam room. He came in and asked how I was feeling and told me how concerned he was about my blood pressure and said we may have to look at having a baby. He then corrected himself and said well maybe we will monitor you for awhile. I ask him about my 24hr collection and he said the results just came in yesterday and since I was coming in first thing today he just waited. The results were not horrible but they were not good either. I he proceeded to check me for dilation. It took longer then normal and actually hurt. He said I was 3cm and completely effaced. He told me he also stripped my membranes to try to get things going. He told me to wait there and he would be back. I heard him calling over to the hospital so I knew we were going to have baby that day. I was kicking myself for leaving my phone out in the car so I was not able to text my husband. About 30 min later the ultrasound tech came in and told me to go check out and wait for my paperwork to take over.
When I got out to the car it was 10am and I put a call in to my husband telling him we needed to head to the hospital ASAP. He had to finish the job he was working on and that he would meet me at home. I went to my dadís and picked up my son and let my dad know we were having a baby that day. I then took my son to my mother in laws to stay till the baby was born. I got home and threw the rest of the things in my bag and posted on JM that I was going in. My husband got there and off to the hospital we went.

We arrived at the hospital at 11:00. We were taken to delivery room 2 the same room I had my first son in. I changed into my gown and got the monitors put on. Little Jakob was bouncing all over the place. My contractions were only peaking in the 40ís, but the nurse said that they were not showing up correctly and that they were actually stronger than that. They were getting a little more uncomfortable and coming about every 8 min. I had not preregistered so I had to do all that. That was finished around 12:45pm. The nurse tried to put the IV in my right wrist but was not successful. Another nurse came in and tried to do it under my elbow but instead blew my vein. I was not that happy by that point it was starting to hurt. The anstelogist came in to discuss the epidural with me and he put the IV in my left wrist with little pain. I signed the consent papers for the anstelogist and told him we would call him when I was ready.

The nurse began the pitocin at 1:30. I was still feeling the contractions but I was not that uncomfortable. My husband and I watched TV though I canít remember what as we waited for my contractions to get worse. They were upping the pitocin every 15 min and my contractions were remaining the same on the monitor. The stupid thing was not picking them up. Around 3:30 the nurse came in and noticed I was starting to breathe heavy through the contractions and grasping the handrails of the bed. She decided to check me. As I was scooting down in the bed I felt a gush. I told her I thought my water had broken. She looked at the bed and told me no it hadnít. A few seconds later I felt another gush. I told her if it was not broke then it was leaking. With my next contraction, which was not on the monitor (by now I decided that was useless), the nurse checked me. It hurt like crazy and I grasped my husbandís hand and gritted my teeth. She said oh you are a very nice 5 and have lots of bloody show. I bet your water is leaking, but I need to test it to see. That took a nice 2 min of her swabbing with her hand up there. Of course it came back that I was leaking.

By 4:00 I was asking for IV drugs and an epi. I found myself moaning through the contractions. My husband was looking at the pointless monitor telling me I was not having a contraction then or that the contraction was not strong enough for this much drama. I looked at him and told him to shut up and sit there. By 4:30 the epi was in with little pain. That is not horrible at all. Just a little pinch. I was dozing in and out till around 5:30. I woke up to pressure. I understand the epi does not get rid of the pressure but this is the first I had felt it. The nurse comes in and wants to check me. This time I was 9+ with a little lip on the left side. She raised the bed so it was vertical and had me crouch down. I could feel Jakob moving down as I laid like that. It was the most painful but amazing feeling in the world. By 5:50 I was feeling the need to push and the pressure was getting crazy. I told my husband to get the nurse. She laid me back down and checked me and said I was complete and she would call the doctor. By this point the epi was wearing off and I was moaning and gripping the hand rail with all my might. I was trying so hard not to push even though my body was doing it on its own. My husband would not get off the phone and I know I told him to shut up a few more times. Never once did I curse.

At 6:38 the midwife came walking in and I am in writhing on the bed trying to keep my legs open without pushing out Jakob. The midwife asked if she had time to get dressed and I told her no, but she got gowned up anyhow. At 6:41 she broke my bulging bag of water. With that I pushed once screaming the whole time. Out popped his head. She told me to wait and not push and to stop screaming. My husband told me the same thing. He got a shut up again. I pushed a second time screaming again. I felt the burning ring of fire that everyone talks about that I did not feel with my first son. I felt my skin tearing. Then the most amazing feeling of all. I felt Jakob make his presence into this world as his body slid out with his little feet kicking all the way. It is an indescribable feeling.
The midwife puts him on my belly and I remark how small he is and everyone else is saying how big he is.

I still feel some burning as the midwife renumbs me and begins stitching me up. My husband cuts the cord and they take the baby away to assess him.

He scored in 8 and a 9 on his apgars and within 40 min I am trying to nurse him for the first time. He is not too interested. The nurse notices he is grunting a little when he breathed so they took him to the nursery. I gave the ok to give him a little formula in a syringe. I then got to eat dinner. Within an hour after delivery I felt like running around dancing. I felt great. My bleeding was heavy so I was put on pitocin throughout the night. My blood pressure continued to stay in the 140ís/90ís and my sugars were fine and they dropped the insulin.
To sum up this delivery experience: It was more painful then my first, but a lot faster and more enjoyable. I experienced so much more this time around and remember so much more. I told my husband the next day I was ready to do it again.
Reply With Quote
October 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
I experienced so much more this time around and remember so much more. I told my husband the next day I was ready to do it again.[/b]

I love the play-by-play. You're a great story teller. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
October 24th, 2008, 04:24 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,408
Conrats. Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad your little man is home with you now

Reply With Quote
October 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
sorry DH was being a butt but it sounds like you had a good overall experience congrats!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
October 26th, 2008, 02:47 PM
iheartaddi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,490
I love the pictures like a real story Congrats on your baby boy!
Kim, Mommy to Addison and Layton

Reply With Quote
October 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,031
What a wonderful story!!! Congrats!
Tammy, mommy to:
Jessica(18), Daniel(17), Anna(14), Kaylee(12), Emily(10), Alyssa(9), Eli(8), Nathan(6), Natalie(5), Bethany(3), and Ainsley(1)
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0