Log In Sign Up

Lana Paige

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM
tianjohns@gmail.com's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 573
So I know it has been a while since I checked up on your girls, but it has been so very hectic since I had Lana. She was early (obviously) and I really didn't expect it at all. I was taken out of work by my doctor one week before I had planned to go out. I was taken out on 10/21 and had her on 10/24. It all started on Friday morning at 12:01am I looked at the clock when I woke up. I woke up for some odd reason I didn't have to pee and I wasn't feeling any pain or anything but I went to get out of bed and all of a sudden there was this stream of wetness. I woke my boyfriend and told him that I thought my water broke. I was at L&D two days before and I remember the nurse telling me that the difference between peeing and your water breaking was if you try to hold yourself like you would when you pee, if liquid still comes out then you water has broken. I tried that and sure enough it was still streaming out. So I ran into the bathroom and sat on the toilet I wasn't feeling anything, no cramping no pain no nothing, so I was still kind of confused not really knowing if I was in labor or not. I called my doctors answering service and 2 minutes later I got a call from my doctor and he told me to go to the hospital right away. So we grabbed the overnight bags and jumped in the car. The whole way there I was telling my boyfriend that it was another false alarm and we shouldn't even take the bags out of the car so we didn't. We got to the hospital and went up to L&D. I stripped down and put on all of the gowns and got strapped up to the monitors. Then the nurse did some kind of strip test to make sure that the liquid coming out was indeed amniotic fluid and sure enough the strip turned blue or dark green whatever color its supposed to be. My boyfriend still had his coat on thinking we'd be discharged, but after I saw the stip I told him he could take his coat off b/c we'd be there for a while. The nurse explain to us that I would be having my baby b/c they run the risk of getting infections etc. once the water breaks, so they started me on plotocin(sp) to start my contractions. We watched a little bit of tv and the contractions started coming, they hurt a lot like period cramps but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. The nurse came in and made the medicine stronger and about 30 minutes later I was in so much pain I was punching the side of the hospital bed. I still wanted to do it natural though so I went another 3 hours without the medicine. After crying and literally scratching gashes into my boyfriends arm. I ordered the epi. I was so disappointed but labor was nothing how I expected it to be. After laying all of my concerns about epi's to rest the doctor came in and administered the epi and I thought it hurt like crazy, but it kicked in really fast and my boyfriend and I fell asleep. Apparently all through the morning there were nurses in and out checking my dialation and never once did I wake up. At about 8:15am the nurse came in and actually woke me and told me that she was going to check me. She did and I was 10cm. I asked a stupid questions and was like "well should I wake up or can I go back to sleep?" she said no I think you should wake up. I woke my boyfriend and they prepared everything and got the NICU nurses/doctor to come in since she was a premie. My boyfriend asked how long they thought I'd be pushing and the nurse estimated about 2 hours. It was 8:30am at that time. We did some practice pushes before the doctor came in and on the third push the nurse could see Lana's head. She ran out and got my doctor to come in and in two pushes Lana's head was completely out he told me to stop pushing and delivered her shoulders. The doctor reached for my boyfriend and had him come over and pull Lana out the rest of the way and place her on my stomach. It was the best thing ever. My boyfriend was half asleep and I didn't get a lot of pictures because he was manning the camera and had it on video setting, so everything picture he though he was taking is actually a 5 minute video

I had no tearing or anything she was 6 pounds 3 ounces with a full head of hair I'm talking hair down her back it is so long. I was in the hospital until Sunday afternoon when they discharged me.

Now, for the bad part. They discharged us on Sunday afternoon and we spoke to the peditrician and he informed us that Lana's billirubin level was at 11.9 at that time I didn't know anything above 12 is considered cause for concern. But, they still discharged us and told us to bring her back on Monday for a blood test to check again. We brought her back on Monday for the blood test and had our results by 5:30pm that day and the levels had shot up to 20.6 so they admitted Lana back to the hospital and for 5 days she laid under the lights. I was a wreck. I slept in the hospital waiting room for five days because I refused to leave without her even though the nurses kept trying to get us to leave. I wouldn't leave her. For the first three days I couldn't even touch her. I would stand at the nursery window for hours crying and just staring at her. Finally on the fourth day one of the nurses let me come in and put scrubs on and touch her in the incubator. By that evening they let her out of the lights so I could feed her. But, I could only have her for 15 minutes and then she had to go right back under the lights. I hated those things they put over her eyes and she would constantly tug at it and try to pull it off. There were a few times she was crying and the nurses were busy doing other things and there was nothing I could do to comfort her so I'd cry even more. Finally on day five they released her at 6pm. With a billirubin level of 10.9. We had to bring her back in for another blood test the next day and received the results at 3:30pm and the level was at 11. By this time she was 7 days old and the doctor said as they get older they worry about the levels less and less. So, she's perfectly fine now but I am still upset that for the first 7 days of her life I wasn't really able to comfort her and have that mother daughter bond. We have our first doctors appointment tomorrow so she'll get her check up and I have a ton of questions. We'll see how I like this doctor but I'll also be doing a lot of research for other doctors in the area, because this particular doctor is weird and so is his partner. But, my OBGYN recommended him and his kids go to him, so I figured he'd be ok for the first appointment because I love and trust my OB with anything.

Here's a picture....this is one of the only ones I have since all of them are really video. I will post more later.

You can see in this picture she is almost orange that's how high her billirubi was
Reply With Quote
November 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
wow I'm sorry you had to go through all that but I'm glad she is doing okay now!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
November 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,408
I am sorry that she had to spend so long in the NICU. I know you are happy to have her home now. Thank you for sharing your story!

Reply With Quote
November 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 16,514
Congratulations on your little girl! I'm sorry that she had a rough start, but I'm glad everyone's doing much better now!!
She's beautiful
Alexandra Sivan, anxiously awaiting her little brother

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0