Log In Sign Up

The Boys Arrive!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA
Posts: 340
This is going to be really, really long. I apologize in advance, but I'm kind of wordy

The Week Before
At my first official NST, my BP was measuring just at the threshold for “high,” which worried the doctors. I was sent to Labor/Delivery to be monitored, and of course, after an hour, my BP was back well within normal range. This pattern had been common in earlier doctor appointments, high at the beginning and low by the end so I chalked the whole experience up to office induced stress. This was the first time my BP was that high though.

I was asked to come back the next day for another NST. Lather, rinse, repeat. The SAME thing happened again. However, this time I was also handed a fun orange jug to collect my urine for the next 24 hours. Like that wouldn't cause someone to stress out alone! At this point, I had no other symptoms of PIH or pre-eclampsia (like swelling, headaches, protein in my urine etc), so I was just annoyed because I figured it was just a hassle to be cleared.

Unfortunately, when I returned for my NST on Friday, things had gotten worse. My BP continued to trend high, and would not lower even after rest. Also, the protein level in my urine continued to rise. I met with the midwives and then with an OB to discuss the next step. Dr. Eagan (the OB) suggested that the most favorable thing to do for my health and the babies' health would be to deliver ASAP. Although I was certainly still at the low end of the worry spectrum, she was concerned that things would get worse fast, and we'd be in an emergency situation. Since I was not opposed to a C-Section, she thought having a simple, planned surgery would be the best at this time, and oh yeah, we should do it tomorrow morning. Would that work for us? (It was about 1 PM on Friday at this point). --Just a quick note, I had never met Dr. Eagan before that moment, but I just loved her immediately. So warm and caring, and I could tell she would be a fantastic doctor.--

I called Adam right away to fill him in on the plan. We were both in a little shock, I think, but at least for me, I was working on adrenaline and wasn't feeling anxious or worried at all. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I knew the boys were in great shape, and would be at a good weight. Lung development was a question, but at the same time, 35 weeks is a really great milestone for twins, and I was super confident in the hospital's ability to take care of any problems. Plus, I was getting to see my boys two and half weeks early!

That night was just a rush of preparation. We got the dog over to the kennel, picked up some last minute odds and ends, set up the pack and play. We finally chose names over a dinner of turkey and mashed potatoes—nothing like a sudden timeline to force an issue. I sent Adam away to play with his photography buddies for one last time and had a nice long, hot shower and went to bed early.

Birth Day--October 25

We were due to the hospital at 6:30 am for check-in. We were brought up to our room right away. It was huge and comfortable and I was so happy to have chosen this place to have our kids. My nurse, Jessie, was wonderful and calm. She was so good at talking us through everything and made sure we were well prepared for what was to come. We also had a nursing student observing, which didn't bother me at all. We were going to be her first delivery observation!

The first hiccup came when our anesthesiologist came in. Although I had asked both my spinal surgeon and two OBs about the effect of my past spinal fusion surgery on getting an epidural or spinal, and they all said it shouldn't be a problem, the anesthesiologist was immediately concerned. The scar and scar tissue is about 7 inches long, and covers most of the area where the spinal would usually go. He assured me that we would try and hopefully it would all work out.

We walked down to the operating room. It was a funny room, nothing like any OR I had seen—less sterile looking. I mean, there's even wallpaper on the wall! There was still loads of equipment and people though. Jessie introduced us to everyone. It was going to be a huge party! There would end up being 2 surgeons, 3 anesthesiologists, 4 nurses for me (plus the student), and 4 nurses for the boys...plus me and Adam!. Adam got all dressed up in his fun jumpsuit.

The anesthesiologist started working on the spinal. It did not go well. Actually, it ended up being the worst part of the whole experience. Because of all the scar tissue, it was taking forever, and I had to sit in a curled up position for a long time. My poor neck was cramping up, and I couldn't do anything about it! Luckily Adam gave up some of his own comfort, and let me use his hand as a headrest. Made everything that much better.

After many, many tries, the anesthesiologist finally came around front and said that it was too dangerous to continue. He did not feel comfortable sticking needle after needle in my spine, and not be able to feel what was going on (the scar tissue was making it impossible.) He said he hated to do it, but he thought general anesthesia might be the only option at that point. Immediately, Dr. Eagan asked to see him and the other doctors outside the room. We were joking that it was like Grey's Anatomy or something and they were fighting! The nurses liked that, but laughed even harder when Adam said “As long as it's not like House when they can't figure out what is wrong!”

Dr. Eagan came back in and explained why they were afraid of doing a general. Apparently, because I'm under, the babies would be under too. If it was just a single, that wouldn't usually be a problem, because they can move fast enough before the baby is effected to badly. However, with twins, the second baby can get a big dose, and that might cause some breathing issues. She said it might still be the only option, but that they would call another anesthesiologist to give it another try. Of course I was bummed about the idea of general, but at the same time, I knew that it might be the only way to get them out, and it wasn't worth being upset over. In the long run, the new anesthesiologist decided just to put the medicine in much higher than usual, and it worked well.

I could not believe how quickly everything moved once the medicine was in place. I think we had little ones within about 10 minutes, and I was all cleaned up and sewn up in another 30 or so. Both came out wailing, and baby B (Andy) came out peeing! It was fun to watch them get cleaned up and Adam went over to take a bunch of pictures. He was able to bring each one over so I could see them up close and personal. When he brought over A (Will), I said that he sounded kind of grunty. The nurse said yep, and that they needed to get him to the nursery ASAP. Andy needed to go too. Again, we expected that, so I knew not to be worried. Although I did get a good look at both of them, it was kind of sad to see them rushed off so fast.

Soon enough, we were headed back up to the room to rest and relax. Again, I just could not believe how fast and smooth everything was. The next couple of hours were kind of a blur, I know we just hung out and called folks. I had my BP taken a bunch of times and they gave me post-surgical massage (not nearly as pleasant as it sounds—that hurt a ton. It's only on your abdomen.) The nurse brought Adam to see the boys. Andy was doing well, Will was having some breathing problems and low-blood sugar so he was on an IV and oxygen. Andy came to the room around 1 PM, and it was really nice to see and hold him.

The day went on just like that. Vitals, feedings, resting, nurse changes. Soon, I was having feeling back in my legs, and felt up to having some ice chips. Coming off the morphine made me feel like a drug addict, I was SO itchy. My nose turned all red and dry from rubbing it so much. They gave me some Benadryl to help, but it only helped a bit.

We began trying to feed Andy using a nipple shield and a little syringe. It wasn't the most comfortable of things, and it took at least two people, but at least he was eating. We tried to feed him every 3 hours or so. I let Adam sleep through one of the nighttime feedings, and had our nurse help me. She, Andrea, was FANTASTIC. So nice and helpful, and really reassuring. We actually had her two nights in a row, which was awesome because we really liked her. Luckily I was able to sleep some, and even slept with Andy in my arms. I also got up and walked around just a bit. I had been really nervous about that, but it didn't even come close to how awful it was getting up after my back surgery.

Day 2-3 (Sunday/Monday)
This was a busier day. We had loads of visitors come by and see us, plus I FINALLY got to see Will. I hadn't seen him since delivery. I was somewhat nervous about bonding and stuff with him, but that was just silly. As soon as he was brought in and I could finally hold him and try to feed him, everything was just fine. He had been given a bottle in the NICU and a huge amount of formula, so he wasn't super hungry and kind of sleepy.

The pediatrician also came by to check out Andy (this was pre-return for Will), and everything looked good. I seemed to be recovering well too and the doctors were happy with me. All was well! I also finally started eating, which was fun, having been foodless for like 36 hours.

By Monday, we were falling into a nice routine of feeding, resting, watching TV and calling everyone to keep them posted. It was nice to just relax in the room and get to know the boys, although, to be honest, they were pretty quiet and easy. We had to practice feeding them, which got a bit frustrating since we were dealing with getting them to latch, but also supplementing with the syringe. Not the easiest thing in the world.

The only downside about Monday was the car seat test. Because the babies were considered premies, and Will had breathing problems, they are required to be able to sit in a car seat for an hour and maintain good breathing and heart rates. We brought the car seats up, and sent the boys away with the technician and nurse. When they came back 15 minutes later, I knew something was wrong. The car seats were too big for them! The technician tried everything she could think of to get them to fit properly, but she couldn't declare them “safe.” She told us about a car seat that tends to fit smaller babies well, and Adam had to go buy them. Not the greatest thing in the world to have to do, but if it keeps the boys safe, and lets them come home with us, that's what we needed to do. They tried again with the new seats, and the boys passed with flying colors, although they did need to use a pacifier to help them stay calm—and keep their heart rates down. So now we have four car seats!

There was a lot of confusion about when we would be heading home. The nurses seemed to think we were in great shape and could go home on Monday, however, all of the doctors (the pediatrician and the OBs) decided to keep us one extra night, just to keep an eye on all of us. They said if we were really chomping at the bit to get home, they would have let us, but it seemed much better to stick around one extra night. It would be reassuring for everyone to keep the boys there.

Discharge Day!

We took a very relaxed approach to our departure. We weren't officially cleared to leave until 11 am or so, so we decided to wait until just after the next feeding so the boys would be full and happy getting in the car seats.

Adam took a couple trips to get everything loaded in the car, and install the new seats. Eventually, we were all packed up and moved out. The nurses came to help us put the boys in the seats and teach us how to get them nice and tight. Luckily Adam installed the seat bases perfectly, so all we needed to do was snap them in and head home. It was really weird leaving the hospital, and a little emotional, but soon we were home and began to get settled.

Will and Andy
Reply With Quote
November 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 8,608
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Awesome Read!!! Thanks for the story, makes me feel excited it's coming soon for ALL of us!!! (hug)

Reply With Quote
November 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
DeannaDuss's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 444
what an AMAZING story!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing all the details, I really enjoyed reading it!

It makes all of us want our babies now!!

Im so happy everyone is home and healthy and safe ( even with 4 carseats )


Reply With Quote
November 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
Sounds like you had a pretty good experience after all and they got the boys out just in time, glad you are all doing well
Reply With Quote
November 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,271
Great birth story! Thanks for shareing!
Ethan 13
Madison 11
Harrison 9
Christian 8

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 02:57 AM
ally&bub's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,227
Woah mama! The boys are so beautiful and I am so glad they made it here safely!
Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 758
Great story, glad that everyone made it here safely.

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 26,401
It sounds like the birth went very smoothly, congratulations!
Andrea, mom to 3 beautiful girls - Abigail (8) Annabelle (6) and Alexis (3)

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Posts: n/a
Great story! Thanks for sharing & Congrats!
Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
ravenlynne's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 805
Glad you are doing well and congratulations!
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">Thanks to SavaAngel for my beautiful siggy!</div>
<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
Great story. Congrats on your little boys!
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 699
Send a message via Yahoo to forgetmenot
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,227
congrats! it was a nice read! It's making me anxious!
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,657
Such a great story! I really can't wait for Christmas this year.
Reply With Quote
November 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Tash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 12,412
Send a message via AIM to Tash
Thanks for typing all that up! I prefer the long stories over the short ones. It sounds like things went great for the most part, I am glad the boys are doing so well. I can't wait for more pics! (they are adorable)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Teal][B]
Reply With Quote
November 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,220
awww it sounds like everything went fairly smoothy after the spinal was all figured out. Its so funny Andy came out peeing! Congrats

Reply With Quote
November 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
JennyluvsDilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,858
Awwww, what a neat story, your boys are so cute, congrats!

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM
punktart's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,869
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your birth story!!
Mom to Caleb & Mischa
My belongs to David
Pregnant with #3, due July 28, 2015
Reply With Quote
November 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,444
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0