Log In Sign Up

Daniel Aaron

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
My "birth story" is a bit longer than I expected it to be. The first birth didn't go as planned at all. I was knocked out for Ben's c-section, had a tough recovery, etc. I was prepared for the worst this time, but was delightfully surprised when I was able to experience Daniel's first cry and all that fun stuff.

My c-section was scheduled for Oct 29th at 9:00 a.m. We needed to be at the hospital by 7:00 a.m. I got a shower the night before so we wouldn't be rushing around. Dh got up to get ready that morning, so of course I was wide awake with anticipation... and an empty stomach. Ugh... no food before surgery. I hate that. We made it to the hospital at 6:45, and the nurses were surprised to see us. Apparently people usually arrive late. Shift change occurs between 7 and 7:15, so they weren't ready for us and didn't even know who would be assigned to us. We didn't mind waiting, really...it was more like an annoyance is all.

After getting to a triage area, my IV was started... twice. The first one wasn't pretty, lemme tell you! It's still bruised and slightly swollen. They usually take more than 2 tries to get, so overall, I'm pleased.

As usual, my doctor was late. He's always late. Always. I love him anyway, though. Finally, after much anticipation, we were headed to the o.r. The ones on the labor & delivery floor are under renovation, so of course, we got to wait our turn for an elevator going to the regular operating rooms. When we got there, Dh had to wait in the lobby (decked out in full "daddy attire" to keep the room sterile). I was taken in to get the spinal block from the anesthesiologist. Again, it took 2 tries. Ouch! I have a very nasty bruise on my back from that lovely experience! The anesthesiologists were GREAT! I told them about my past experience, asked for the little nose thingie rather than a mask, and all that. They were wonderful and talked me through everything.

Finally, Dh came in, and the surgery was underway. It took no time at all for Daniel to be born (10:01 a.m.), and BOY! what a CRY! He was very, very loud!! If it weren't for the drugs, I'm sure I would've cried. I was a bit, uh... relaxed, though. I couldn't wait to hear his stats, and to be honest, I was surprised he was as small as he was. I expected at least 9.5 lbs, but he was only 9 lb 1 oz. He's tall, though. He was 22 inches. Ben was only 20.5, so I didn't expect 22! My biggest fear was that Daniel would be squished and end up needing therapy like Ben did. He was perfect, though. I was so relieved to hear that. I even got to see him all slimy when they held him up over the drape right after pulling him out. What a wonderful sight (even though my hubby thinks that's gross ... it's a female thing, I guess?).

Dh left to go to the nursery while the doc finished my surgery. They collected the cord blood for us, which was another concern I had. Because of the problem found on ultrasound with the placenta, I wanted to make sure there was enough blood for the collection. There was. They said they definitely had plenty! Hooray!

I don't remember much of the next hour or so, unfortunately. I remember riding back in the elevator with Daniel's little bed-thing next to me, so who knows? Maybe he and Dh didn't go to the nursery while I was being stitched up? The nursery was back up on the L&D floor. I do know that they gave him a bottle almost immediately so daddy could feed him. That was another request I'd made. Ben was starving after he was born (because of my gestational diabetes and lack of breast milk). Back in triage after the surgery, I was extremely cold and trembling. I was still very weak from the surgery, too. The spinal block extended to my shoulders and then out to my fingers.

For some reason, the hospital was flooded with patients that week. We were ready to be moved to a room around noon, but one didn't come available until 3:00! It was especially difficult because we didn't know when or where we'd be moved, so Dh had to orchestrate the FedEx pick up of the cord blood with no real information.

It seemed like forever, but 5 hours after Daniel was born, we were finally in a room, and I finally got to hold him for the first time. It was love at first sight. He looked just like his brother. Not long after that, grand-mom and Ben showed up. It was much later than we'd anticipated, so Ben was without a nap and definitely ready for dinner. He enjoyed holding Daniel for a second, but after that he got extremely cranky and had to leave. Luckily the following days would be much better. He loves Daniel and can't seem to give him enough kisses.

I suppose that's the end of my "birth" story, although it didn't actually end there. I was released from the hospital on Saturday morning, and by Saturday night, my blood pressure was up. We went to the ER Sunday morning and back to the doc Tuesday morning. I also had a UTI and didnít know it.

Daniel's over 11 lbs now, and I've got only 10 or so left to lose. We're adjusting to parents of 2 more quickly than I would've expected. My recovery is easier than last time, so I think that definitely helps. Daddy's getting plenty of Ben time, and I'm getting plenty of Daniel time. I'm supposed to be recovering for 4-6 weeks because the inside takes much longer to heal than the outside. I find myself doing too much sometimes, and then later I pay for it. I'm getting antsy and can't wait for the day that I can do things on my own again. I just know Ben & Daniel will grow up to be the best of friends. Sure, they'll fight like little boys do, but that's all part of the game. I only wish there could be 2 more of them. I have a bit of PPD knowing Iím done having kids.
Reply With Quote
November 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Lonestar State
Posts: 50,214
Here are some pix.

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
I know how it is to not feel like you have any control over what's going on so I'm glad you got to have the experience you were hoping for! and ditto the blues about no more babies but there's a reason, I think we're going to have our hands full anyway! congrats!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
petalstarlace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In a city in South Cackalacky
Posts: 2,193
lol @ your husband in his scrubs!
What a cute little boy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0