Log In Sign Up

Luke William

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
meli.ann's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,715
I was scheduled to have a repeat c-section on Tuesday, November 18th at 9:30 am. So on Friday I came up with a list of things that I wanted to get done over the weekend - some last minute cleaning, a trip to Target to stock up on a few things, etc. I went to bed Friday night with a bad headache, but slept through the night, other than 1 or 2 bathroom breaks.

Around 6am on Saturday I woke up with stomach cramps...they pretty much felt like I just needed to use the bathroom. But the funny thing was, I woke up with a jolt, so I'm thinking it hurt worse than I realized once I was awake. I got up, and went into the bathroom where I discovered that I had a lot of mucus discharge, and that it was streaked with some blood. I started thinking then that something was up. I went to the living room and got online to see what I could find about it (I never went into labor with my first so this was new to me). Knowing that I was having a repeat c/s, I didn't want to eat or drink anything in case I was in labor. After a little while, I noticed that I was having the same cramps, but that they were happening somewhat regularly, so I started timing them. At first they were 11 minutes apart, but were lasting for a minute or so. Then they got to 8-9 minutes apart, and I decided I better call the doctor to see what I should do. Once I got ahold of him, he told me to head into the hospital. That they'd see if I was really in labor, and if so I'd have the c/s that day, if not they'd send me home. I called my mom so she would meet us at the hospital and take our 2 year old.

I got into the shower, and had a few really strong contractions while in there. DH got Cody up and dressed, and we left the house around 8:45. In the car on the way there, the contractions got to 3-4 minutes apart, but they weren't lasting as long, they were down to about 30 seconds long. We got to the hospital and met up with my mom, got registered, and DH and I went into labor and delivery. They had me change into a gown and hooked up a monitor for the baby's heartbeat. From there they started working on getting an IV in, which was about the worst part of the whole day. I always have trouble with nurses finding a vein on me, and this was no different. It took 3 nurses and 4 pokes before they finally got a line. At one point the doctor showed up, and he was like, let's just let anestesia (sp?) get a line in her, we'll go ahead and do the c/s. Once he said that, the nurse finally got a line in me. My poor arm was bruised and swollen by then, and there was blood everywhere. Pleasant! Once that was done, I was alone for a few minutes, and could hear Luke having the hiccups over the heart monitor. Too cute! Dh came in, got changed, and the anestesiologist walked me into the OR. I climbed up on the table, and they went over what all was going to happen with my spinal/epi combo. I got into position, sitting up, and she got started. She ended up having to skip the epi for some reason, I never really understood why, but I was numb and that was all that mattered to me! They helped me lay down, put the drape up and the dr came in. I loved this doctor...he was making jokes and playing Jimmy Buffet - gotta love that!

They got started and then DH was led in to sit with me. After what seemed like just a couple of minutes I felt the tugging, and finally heard IT'S A BOY! Luke started crying and DH took some pictures before going off with him and the nurse. A few minutes later they were back out and I got to see my little Luke for the first time. He came into the world at 12:57pm weighing 6lbs 1.9oz, and was 18" long.

At that point my DH told me that Luke's feet were turned inwards, but that the doctor had said it wasn't clubfoot, that it was just from him being so squished inside me. Not what you want to hear, but it was good to hear that they didn't think it was anything serious. I was also told then that they knicked my bag of water and that the baby would have to be tested for some kind of infection (I can't remember what) because I was GBS positive. He tested negative for it. I was also told that I might end up with a headache from the spinal because some of the fluid leaked. Luckily that didn't happen either.

They got me closed up, and moved back to recovery. I got the shakes again like I did with my first DS, but they weren't as bad. After an hour or so they moved me to my post partum room (which was awesome - private room with a door that led to an outside courtyard), and my mom came in with Cody just as they brought Luke to see me for the first time.

Recovery has been easier this time than last, which is saying a lot because my first wasn't bad either. The only complication I've had is that the first day and a half after the spinal wore out my left leg was numb. It pretty much felt like my leg had fallen dead asleep, with the pins and needles feeling. I could stand on it, but couldn't feel anything. So the morning after my c/s they had me walking to the bathroom, which was a really weird feeling. I got upset when the doctor told me that it SHOULD go away. I was freaking out thinking, what if it doesn't? But it did a little over a day later.
Proud mama of Cody {02.06} and Luke {11.08}

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown

Reply With Quote
November 24th, 2008, 08:37 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,043
ooh that numbness would have seriously freaked me out! congrats though, he is a cutie and I love your new siggy!

homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama


Reply With Quote
November 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41,401
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
thanks for sharing. I was just browsing and saw your sons name. That is exactly what we are naming our baby if its a boy. Congrats, he is gorgeous

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0