Log In Sign Up

Little Miss Ava Jean

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,220
Well now that I finally have a few minutes (grandpa is bonding with his granddaughter for awhile )I can finally write out my birth story!

It all started on Tuesday December 2nd when I had my regular 37-week appointment. Most of you know that my doctor had scheduled me for an induction on Thursday the 4th but I really, really did not want to be induced. We were just going to see where we were and I was going to talk to her about pushing it back until the following week. My blood pressure was still elevated as usual and she told me that since it hadn't changed since the last week's appointment that she wanted to monitor me upstairs at L&D for a couple hours and if my blood pressure didn't go down she wanted to get things started that day! Well talk about panic. I was so scared and terrified on top of not wanting to be induced that my blood pressure of course did not go down. At about 1pm my doctor came in and gently told me that she didn't feel it was safe for her to send me home and she wanted to admit me and get started with the induction immediately (she happened to be on call that day). She said I was already having some contractions on my own so my body knew it was time. At that point I didn't have the strength to fight it anymore and I broke down. I had a full-fledged panic attack right there in the hospital room, crying, shaking, hyperventilating, the whole 9. Luckily my mom was there trying to calm me down but it was useless. The doctor ordered a sedative for me which came about a half an hour later and made me feel like I was flying. I didn't really like the feeling but I calmed right down at any rate which I suppose is a good thing. I called Steve and told him that we were going to have a baby that day. He was 3 hours away for the day doing some training and he had just gotten there not too long before I called him. He turned right around and drove the 3.5 hours back and got to the hospital around 4ish. During that time I sent my mom home to pack a bag for me since I didn't have anything ready yet. At about 4:30ish the nurse came in and checked me. I was still at an almost 1cm and 75%. She then gave me the cytotek pill behind me cervix and put the IV in (ouch). Then she started the antibiotics since I was GBS positive. By that time my mom and dad and Steve had all arrived back at the hospital and we just hung out for a few hours.

The cytotek was giving me some very very mild contractions but when the doctor came in she told me that I was almost having too many for her liking. So instead of giving me another dose of cytotek she was going to start me on the pitocin so we could control the frequency of the contractions. She kept turning up the dosage every 20 minutes but I couldn't really notice a difference between the pitocin contractions and the cytotek ones. At around 10:00pm my mom and dad left to go home and Steve stayed with me. I was super nervous about what was going to happen since things were already in full swing. Since I was on pitocin it was really hard to get up and use the bathroom because I had to carry the IV pole with me along with the big fetal monitor cart. The nurse kept coming in and upping the pitocin every 20 minutes but nothing was really happening. At around midnight she came in and checked me and I was still the same, almost 1cm and 75%. She told us that we should try and get some sleep since we probably had a long night/morning ahead of us. So we settled in for the night. I tried to sleep but it was really difficult being in a strange place and knowing that I was about to have a baby! In between dozing I kept hearing the nurse come in and turn up the pitocin. I still wasn't really feeling painful contractions or anything. At around 1am I felt a little "pop" and then I felt a trickle down my leg. I shifted positions and felt a gush. I jumped up in bed and pressed the button for the nurse and told her I thought my water had broken. Well lo and behold it had! She said that was the goal, she had been turning up the pitocin since the baby was tolerating it so well and she was hoping that my water would break. At that point I thought that this could either be really good or really bad. It could be really good in that it would help me dilate faster, or it could be really bad in that I may not dilate at all or not fast enough and if I didn't dilate within the "time limit" I could be headed for a c-section. We tried to go back to sleep seeing as how I knew things could start getting more intense at any moment. The nurse told me to switch sides about every half an hour to help bring the baby's head down a bit more.

About an hour after my water broke I started to notice my contractions more. It was to the point where I had to breathe through them. I was so tired though after being in the hospital since 9:30 that morning and not really getting much sleep the night before. I began dozing off in between contractions, which were coming about a minute or two apart, but still not all that painful, but enough to keep me awake. The next time the nurse came in at about 5ish I told her I was really tired and in some pain. She told me she could give me something to take the edge off so I could get some sleep, but she told me to use the restroom first because it would make me feel like I "just drank a 6-pack of beers". Boy was she right! I didn't really want even more drugs but I knew that I needed to get some sleep so I could get some rest to have enough energy to push later on. By this time it was 5:30am. The nurse checked me again and I was at a full 1cm! lol it wasn't much but at least I was making progress, and the nurse said she was happy with that. After I got the Nubain I felt really dizzy and rather out of it but I fell asleep. Fast asleep. Every once in awhile I would wake myself up snoring After awhile I started to feel the contractions more and soon I couldn't sleep through them anymore and I was getting lots of pain in my lower back. I began to feel like my stomach was heaving, but downwards, if that makes sense. This was around 8am. I remembered reading some birth stories here on JM where some women would feel like their bodies were pushing on their own and I figured this must be that feeling! I called for the nurse again and told her that with each contraction I was feeling like my body was pushing on its own. She checked me and I was at 7 cm!! I had dilated from a 1 to a 7cm in 2 and half hours in my sleep!! I immediately asked if I could get the epidural. While I was waiting they had me get up and go to the bathroom, where I saw lots of bloody show. The contractions started to get worse and worse and they were all in my back along with this intense pressure. I kept asking if the anesthesiologist would be getting there soon It only took him about 5 or 10 minutes to get there but it felt like hours!

By this time I was in intense pain and I was making these low, gutteral animalistic sounds. I just couldn't control it, it felt like thats what my body needed to do. I felt like I sounded like a wild animal but I couldn't stop My nurse grabbed my hand and told me to stay in control of them since she knew I'd need to stay still during the epidural. She helped me breathe through each and every contraction which were coming now every 30-45 seconds. Poor Steve was standing there terrified of me I felt bad for him but at that point I didn't really care. I also didn't really notice the nursing student who was shadowing my birth lol. The anesthesiologist put the epidural in but then started having trouble putting the catheter in. At this point I just wanted the pain to stop and the contractions to go away. It is true what they say, it really does feel like you are trying to take one gigantic poop My body was just pushing on its own and the pressure was insane. The nurse told me that it was the baby's head descending down the birth canal. Let me tell you, that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, to stay still and curled up in a ball during those contractions. My nurse was such a trooper though, I was probably breaking her hand with each contraction. Then finally, finally, finally the doctor got the catheter in!! I was soooooo relieved! I must have breathed through about 10 intense contractions before he got it in. Then with the next contraction he put the medicine in and told me that my contractions would probably start to change and start feeling shorter to me. Within 2 contractions the epidural kicked in and I couldn't feel anymore pain, but I could feel the pressure. The nurse checked me and I was complete!! If I would have known that I was going to dilate to complete in 45 minutes I would never have gotten the epidural because I probably could have gone without it, but I figured I was going to be in transition for an hour or more. The nurse told me that she would let me rest for a few minutes before she would have me start pushing. After about 5 minutes she had me try a practice push. I pushed once and her head completely crowned. She told me to stop pushing and she would get the doctor in and I'd have her in no time! The doctor came waltzing in in her nice slacks and dressy shirt, since I was the first one to give birth that day she wasn't even in her scrubs yet. She took one look at me and her eyes got wide and she said "oh my gosh! If I would have known we were going to have a baby right now I would have dressed for the occasion" She got her scrubs on and then I started pushing. Steve was on one side holding my leg and the nurse on the other. In one push her head was out and then in one more push the rest of her came right on out at 9:35am on December 3rd. Steve cut the cord and they immediately placed her on my chest. She was just perfect, 6 pounds 10.3 ounces and 19 inches long. There wasn't a bruise or scratch on her little face. She flew out so fast that her little fist tore me. I don't know how many stitches I had but if I had to guess I'd say I probably needed 6 or 7. The most uncomfortable part was when they were pushing on my stomach trying to get the placenta out. It took more pushes to birth the placenta then the baby .

Even though I had to have an induction I honestly could not have asked for a better, easier birth experience. I knew instantly that I loved her and that I would do it all over again a hundred times over. I am so amazed every day at the life we created. We are so blessed to have her in our lives and I'm excited to get to go through life now with my beautiful daughter

Reply With Quote
December 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,271
Congratulations Heather! Thanks for sharing!
Ethan 13
Madison 11
Harrison 9
Christian 8

Reply With Quote
December 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 6,191
awesome story heather! congratulations =)

Reply With Quote
December 11th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,813
Omigoodness you should be a writer! Seriously that was a great story, I felt like I was right there with you.

BTW: Proof that your story was extremely vivid & real: It has me SO scared to go into labor now, ha. The pain, OMG! Thanks! Haha.

Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Posts: n/a
Congrats again, Heather! Great story!
Reply With Quote
December 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
Wow that is a great experience, glad everything went so well
Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 9,582
Wow, that's quite the story!!! Thanks for sharing and congratulations again, Ava is GORGEOUS.

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

Reply With Quote
December 15th, 2008, 04:21 AM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,435
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
congrats, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0