Log In Sign Up

Hannah Rose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,632
I went in Dec. 6th for the start of my induction. I showed up at the hospital at 6pm and they checked me and told me that I was only 1 1/2 cm dialated. I was having contractions on my own, but nothing really major or regular. Then they inserted the cervadil and the contractions started to get stronger and more painful for the first several hours. I was hooked up to monitors to listen to her heartbeat. That made it really hard to sleep that night because if I rolled on my side we would lose her hb. Laying on my back was the most painful. So I held off on any drugs for the pain until about 5am and finally I let them give me a little nubain(sp?). It was enough to let me get a couple hours of sleep before they were going to start the pitocin. So the next morning they removed the cervadil at 7:30am and let me wait before they checked me. Apparently a lot of women were coming in to have their baby because they told me they were waiting for another room to open up for me to start the pitocin. So I waited until about noon, when the dr. came in and checked me and said I was at 1 1/2. That was very upsetting news to me. So then they took me down to the labor and delivery area and started the pitocin right away. It wasn't too bad at first. The contrax got much stronger and more regular, but I could still breathe through them. At 4 pm he came back and checked me and I was finally at 2cm...ugghh! So he was broke my water. That is when the pains really started in for me. I still didn't take anything for the pain though. I wanted to let my body do what it was supposed to do and I really didn't want to drug my baby. Anyways, around 7pm I was nearly in tears with so much pain. I was having back labor and couldn't find any way to get comfortable. I tried the birthing ball, the rocking chair, and anything else we could think of. The stupid nurse came in and I asked her if there was any other suggestions for some relief and that is when she asked me if I was going to want an epi. I said I did at some point. Next thing I know she is pushing fluids through me even though I had a major reaction to the penicillin earlier and it hurt so bad. I made her slow it down because of the pain and then the antheisiologist came in and started asking me questions and was so rude. He said what is your basal rate (on my insulin pump) and when I tried to explain that I have several rates for different times of day he treated me like crap because he didn't understand. Then the nurse came in and I asked her if they were even going to check my cervix first? That is when she told the dr. that they called him too soon because she wasn't quite ready for him yet....hello I never said I wanted it now!! She checked me and said I was 2-3 cm. WTH??? My dr. didn't want me to get the epi until I was 3-4cm. So I told them no, I don't want it yet. Oh and she examined me and wasn't even gentle at all...I mean she was horrible. I was so mad at this point and in so much pain from the exam. I got a little more pain med now since I knew it was going to be a while yet. I had already been there for 24 hours now with contractions. So I tried walking around, and all of the little tricks I had read about to get labor going, but nothing. Around 2am her heartbeats started dropping with every contraction. I was so scared that she was in trouble. They hurried up and flipped me on my side to get her heartbeat back to where it should be, then they threw an oxygen mask on me and made me stay there. At this point I got the epi because I couldn't take it any longer. The dr. broke my water again and attached a monitor to her little head to see what her hb was. I was now at 5cm and was hoping that it wouldn't be much longer since the dr. said you normally go about 1/2cm an hour after you reach 5. That wasn't the case for me. 4 hours later I was still sitting at 5cm, no progress. Her hb was still only ok if I stayed on my side with the oxygen on. My dr. came back in and said that we could try to wait a little longer but it had been a while since my water broke, and he was worried about her heartbeat. Or he said we could do a c-section. Dh and I chose the c-section because we were both afraid if we waited and tried to push her out that they would end up doing an emergency c-section anyways. So they wheeled me down to the room, cleaned my belly, strapped me to the table (which hurt my back so bad I was in tears) and then they injected me with some numbing stuff that felt like a major burning sensation to my lower half. They finally brought dh in after they started cutting me. He came in with the camera around his neck and looked like a fish out of water. It was so sweet to see him so vulnerable. He is the very strong kind of man, but I could tell he was scared and excited all at the same time. I will never forget the look on his face. I can only imagine what it was like for him to see my belly all open like that. Anyways I could feel every cut, rip, even the suction of the blood. I told them it was hurting and they gave me another dose of numbing stuff. Again it burned all the way down in my toes, but I still felt the pain in my belly. But Hannah was here and they pulled her out of me at 6:43am. The cord was wrapped around her little foot. Then they took her over to the table to clean her up and do the apgars on her. She scored 8 and 9 on the apgars. Dh went with her and took her pictures and yelled that she had my toes while they were stitching me up. The dr. gave me one more dose of numbing since I was still feeling every little pinch from the needle. Finally I wasn't hurting quite as bad, but the sound of Hannah's beautiful cry was destracting enough for me and the most beautiful sound I could ever hear. Then dh brought Hannah over to see me and she looked right at me and recognized the sound of my voice. She was just beautiful and I will never forget that moment.

Then they wheeled me down to recovery where they checked her blood sugar and it was 35. It is supposed to be over 40, so they wanted me to feed her right away. Well I wasn't really able to feed her, although I did try. I just didn't have any milk in yet or anything and she needed it now. So they fed her a bottle to bring her sugar up. Finally we get to the mother baby unit and that is when they told me that her sugar dropped again and that she needed to go to the NICU for an IV of sugar water and to be watched closely. I knew they had to do something, but I wanted my baby to be with me. So later that night I managed to get in a wheelchair and go down to see her and bf her once. Then the next day I walked down to NICU to be with her and was told that she could come back to the room with me. So I went back and took my shower and waited for them to bring her. It was the longest 24 hours ever to be without her. Finally she was in the room with us and in my arms where she belonged. She was doing great!!

I strongly suggest women waiting to be induced until after 40 weeks. If it wasn't for all my medical issues I would have waited for her to come on her own and maybe I wouldn't have needed that c-section. I really wish I could have gone natural, but I was too concerned with her health. Just my advice though.
Thank you Mistyx5 for my siggy.

Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,435
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
Thanks for sharing...I elected for c section at the last minute as well, although yours sounds really tough with the pain and all.
Glad she is here safe & sound, congrats!
Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
What an ordeal, glad you both are doing well now
Reply With Quote
December 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
What an ordeal! Glad both mom and baby are doing well.
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,271
Glad you are both doing well now! Thanks for sharing.
Ethan 13
Madison 11
Harrison 9
Christian 8

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0