Log In Sign Up

Trinity Amaia

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,269
Monday, November 24
2:00 PM: It all started when I went to the first of two scheduled prenatal appts. for the week. On Friday, I had learned that my amniotic fluid index was low (5.8) and there was a possibility of an induction if it continued to decline. On Monday, I had an NST and everything was going normally until the end when the nurse checked my blood pressure. It was higher than usual (I forget the number...something over 85). After re-checking it 3 or 4 times and seeing that my feet were about to burst out of my shoes, they decided to send me straight to the ER for monitoring and possible induction.

3:30 PM: We arrive at the ER and I'm taken straight up to OB triage. I'm hooked up to a machine that takes my BP every 15 minutes and the baby's heart rate is being monitored also. After about an hour of monitoring, the doctor wheels in the ultrasound machine to check the fluid level. Its now 2 cm...down a whole 3 cm in a matter of days. The doctor asks me if I would object to being induced given the low fluid and my elevated BP. Ummm....no! At this rate the baby will have no fluid by the end of the week and I've still got 3 weeks until my due date!! So, its settled. As soon as an L&D room is available I'll be moved and the induction will commence! I spent the next 3 hours in a dimly lit space behind a curtain with nothing to eat, read, or look at and a BP cuff cutting off my circulation every 15 minutes until finally a room was available. While all this was happening I had notified everyone and my bag and laptop was brought over to the hospital. They weren't allowed back in triage so I was given my things when I was put into a room, which is when I logged on to JM to share the news.

11:00 PM: A delivery room is finally available. My family stays with me through the night. It looked like a mini slumber party.

Tuesday, November 25
1 AM: I'm officially induced. The doctor inserted a foley balloon into my cervix that filled up with water in order to help stretch my cervix. In addition to the balloon, they gave me Pitocin in an IV. Once I was induced the contractions began immediately. I thought I knew what contractions felt like before but I found out I was wrong. After about 20 minutes I was already miserable. I had been up for 16 hours, had only eaten crackers and apple juice that a nurse had given me (only food I'd had since 1PM on Monday), and I had a long road ahead of me before I would be ready to deliver (I was dilated to barely 1 cm before the induction). I decided to go with the Stadol so I could get some relief and rest. They split the dosage...half in IV, half in shot form. That stuff is the best...drug....EVERRRRR!! I was feeling fabulous after that. I managed to get a good couple hours of sleep.

6 AM: The foley balloon falls out and the DR confirms that I'm dilated to 4 cm now. He suggested that it would be a good time to get the epidural. I tried to stay 2 steps ahead with regards to the pain medication...I never wanted to have to suffer while I have to wait for meds to kick in. So, the anesthesiologist came in shortly after and gave me my epidural. It wasn't anywhere near as painful or as scary as I thought. The only annoying part was that it wasn't equal on both sides. It took a long time for it to get to my right side, but once it did I was comfortable for a while.

8 AM: DR breaks my water and I'm now OFFICIALLY in labor! I also got a "lovely" catheter inserted into my bladder. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time. I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon laboring without much excitement. Around noon my family from SC arrived, thinking the baby would've arrived by then. I felt so bad for them. They drove nearly 3 hours to see her and I was nowhere near ready to deliver. By this time I was having some contractions that were stronger than the epidural. So they just comforted me and hung out for a while. They also brought me the cutest gifts that I've received yet. They brought her clothes, blankets, a Care Bear crib set, a snow suit, headbands, and some other miscellaneous stuff. I tried to be as gracious as I could but I was in alot of pain by this point, and still only 4 cm. By mid-afternoon I was given Fentanyl in my IV to help control my pain better. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference.

Labor drags on throughout the day. I made good use of the little button they gave me to release the epidural meds into my IV whenever I needed it. Most of the day was spent falling in and out of sleep, trying to get comfortable in bed (I couldn't move because my legs were like dead weight) and talking incoherently. I don't remember much during this time. I only have to go by what family has told me.

6 PM: The doctor comes in to talk to me about the possibility of a c-section. I'm still not fully dilated by this point. He comes back every hour to check my progress. By this time baby's head is all the way down and the pressure is outrageous. I was literally writhing around in the bed in discomfort..the best I could considering the fact that I couldn't move my legs. My butt hurt so bad! I wanted someone to massage my left cheek because it was hurting so bad.

8 PM: I finally get to 9 cm. I'm weak, my mouth is dry...by this time they had cut off my water and ice supply because it looked like I was gonna get the section. The doctor had gone to get the consent forms to sign for the c-section. I was actually relieved at getting a section. I couldn't even speak above a whisper at this point because my mouth was so dry. I was so mentally and physically exhausted. The nurse decided to check me one more time and she said I was fully dilated. Doctor comes back and confirms it. There goes my c-section out the window! They start prepping the room for delivery and I started bawling because after this long labor I felt like I had nothing left in me. I couldn't conceive how I was gonna push this baby out. The delivery was interesting. It took me a while to get the hang of pushing. I was delivered by a nurse, not a doctor. She kept putting her hands inside me to make the opening wider for the baby and also to give me a focal point to push. It actually slowed things down. It kept me from pushing properly and I think contributed to my tearing. Once I told her to get her hands outta me and told everyone in the room to shut up so I could concentrate, I pushed beautifully. Her head was out within about 10 minutes (Not 10 minutes after I started pushing...10 minutes after I told everyone to leave me alone. We were about 30 minutes into the delivery by this point). When her head came out I actually yelled out. I had heard that it burns when the baby's head crowns but this was unreal! I thought I was gonna die....seriously. I refused to push anymore. LOL (I did/said alot of crazy, irrational stuff during the delivery. I thought the way that sitcoms portrayed delivery was overly dramatic but now I know better. ). About 5 minutes after her head was out I delivered the rest of her and she was here!

9 PM: I started bleeding very badly and required stitches for a second degree tear. I hated the OB team that handled the afterbirth. This one ##### I wanted to kick in the forehead. She was being very rough and I felt like she had no consideration for what my body had just been through. Her and this other nurse were taking turns mashing my stomach and reaching their arms 'up there' to get any leftover remnants out. The placenta itself came out easily and quickly after the birth. It took about 15-20 minutes and several plastic tarps laid out on the floor to stop the bleeding. I was given local anesthesia (Lidocaine) to numb me in order to get the stitches....another 20 minutes. By this time I was exhausted and tired of being poked and prodded. Everyone was finally gone by 10 PM and I was unhooked from the IVs and BP monitor that had been checking my pressure every 15 minutes from the time I was admitted. That's when the uncontrollable shakes began. They lasted for about 30-45 mins. I was given dry nasty graham crackers to eat (I had to eat them before I could eat any real food...they wanted to see whether I could keep food down). By 11 PM I was in my post partum room, Trinity was all cleaned up in the nursery and we were finally reunited and have been ever since.

So, that was the long, early, unexpected, exhausting birth story of my baby girl Trinity And it only took me 3 weeks. LOL

Reply With Quote
December 19th, 2008, 11:27 AM
ally&bub's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,227
Aww, that really does sound like hard work! I did laugh at the bit where you said you had to tell her to get her arm the hell outta you!

You did a good job though mama! Quite an achievment I'd say!
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,271
Thanks for sharing!
Ethan 13
Madison 11
Harrison 9
Christian 8

Reply With Quote
December 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area. CA
Posts: 11,030
Wow thats quite an experience, way to keep the nurse in check
Reply With Quote
December 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 25,747
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
Reply With Quote
December 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
LenaandBaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,435
Send a message via AIM to LenaandBaby Send a message via Yahoo to LenaandBaby
thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
December 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Tia loves her Trinity!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,269
Cute facts about Trinity's birth

-Her birthday is exactly 9 months after mine (February 25)
-She was born exactly 1 month after my baby shower (October 25)
-She was born exactly 1 month before Christmas (December 25)
-Me & Trinity were both born on Tuesday
-My mom went to the hospital on a Monday and had me on a Tuesday; I went to the hospital on a Monday and delivered her on Tuesday
-Me & Trinity were both born 20 days early @ 37 weeks, 1 day

Reply With Quote
January 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 541

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0