Log In Sign Up

Better late than never

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Australia
Posts: 699
Send a message via Yahoo to forgetmenot
6th December 2008

After 3 false alarms I was getting pretty fed up with being pregnant and pretty depressed that labour hadnít started. I was 4 days overdue and at my Dr. appointment the previous day the Dr. stated that if I hadnít had the baby by 10 days overdue she would have to be evicted.

Our son was an induction gone wrong resulting in a general anaesthetic and an emergency c-section for prolapsed cord and we really didnít want this to happen again. If she hadnít arrived by 40weeks +10days arrived we agreed to have a C-section that I could be awake for and could share with my husband and mum. I had hypertension throughout the pregnancy and having had a previous c-section the Dr. didnít like the idea of me having the baby at home but I had wonderful midwifes that supported my decision and informed me of the risks involved.

Christmas was fast approaching and we decided to finish our Christmas shopping. We dropped the kids off at my mother-in-laws at 11am and headed to the shops, 4:30 pm the shops were getting ready to close we decided to stop off and have something to eat before we got the kids. We sat down and waited for our food, I started getting contractions every 5 mins which didnít really concern me because I had been experiencing this for weeks prior, however we would start timing them and think ďmaybe this was it?Ē and they would stop. My husband ate his meal but I really didnít feel like the food so wrapped it up and took it home. When we got home the contractions were 3 mins apart and we rang the in-laws to see if the kids could stay a little longer which was ok. We put all the shopping away and the contractions were still 3mins apart getting a little more painful but I was still not convinced it was for real.

We started recording the contractions on the back of a Christmas card at 6.20pm they were still 3 mins apart I decided to have a shower to ease the pain and see if they would stop and they eased off a little and were irregular at between 3 and 7 mins apart.
7pm I rang our midwife and told her that we were having another false alarm and I just wanted her to know so she could be prepared just in case it was for real. The midwife told me to continue doing what I was doing and she would ring back in an hour to see how I was.

I jumped back in the shower and again the contractions were irregular 3-7 mins apart but more intense, 7.45pm I rang the midwife again and told her that I think I was in labour for real and wanted to know she was on her way. The midwife rang the student that was assisting with my pregnancy care as part of her training and my husband rang my mum and told her that I was in labour and to come on over.

8.30pm the midwife arrived I was still in the shower, I got out so she could assess me took my BP (which was the lowest it had been all pregnancy) check the babyís heart rate (perfect) and gave me a VE I was 4cm dilated and she confirmed yes I was in true labour. Yay thank goodness.

The midwife went into the kitchen to organise all of the equipment that she would need for the delivery. My husband was laying on our bed with me talking me through the contractions and encouraging me to breath and count through the pain. My mum arrived about 9.15pm put some towels in the dryer to warm and then sat with us in our room talking and encouraging me through the pain.
My husband was lying next to me allowing me to use his feet as leverage to get relief from the pain and he massaged Clary sage and Lavender oil into my lower back between contractions, this was absolutely wonderful it reduced the intensity of the contractions and helped me relax.

About 9.45 I convinced my midwife to give me another VE to see if I had dilated more which I had to 6cm, I felt like I needed to go to the toilet so in between contractions I ran as fast as I could to the toilet. The midwife and my hubby where standing at the door watching (modesty out the window). The midwife with a torch and my husband with a flannel encouraging me to go with what I felt I needed to do, after a few contractions I felt the urge to push and the midwife told me that I could have the baby on the toilet if I wanted to (after 9 months of vomiting in the toilet there was no way that was happening) again between contractions I ran back to my bedroom. I kneeled on my bed holding onto a beanbag just in time for another contraction and when it finished I rolled over to position myself comfortably leaning against it.

The urge to push was intense and the midwife could see the amniotic sac bulging ready to burst, she asked my mum to get some warm water. Mum was in the kitchen and I could feel the babys head crowning and screamed out for her to come quickly or she would miss it. Mum got back into the room with the water just in time the midwife instructed my husband to place his hand underneath the babyís head, she then told him that the babyís shoulder will rotate as she comes out and he needed to catch her. This happened quickly 10.12pm and he caught her and placed her on my chest with warm blankets we rubbed her to keep her warm and she started crying straight away.

My husband sat beside me admiring our beautiful baby girl as she breastfed for the very first time latching on perfectly. About 20mins later the placenta was delivered intact and accounted for. Once the cord had stopped pulsating (with instruction from the midwife) my husband clamped and cut the cord. We rang the kids and my mum went to get them and shortly after mum went and got my sisters and nieces. All the kids watched intently as the baby was weighed etc, I dressed her with all the eyes in awe. Camera clicking away excited chatter throughout the whole house. The midwife stayed for a couple of hours after the birth to ensure both mum and baby were doing well, did the paperwork and left us to celebrate.

Baby Hannah was born at home Saturday December 6th 2008 at 10.12 pm
Weighing 8lb 4oz and 52 cm long

One of the best experiences of my life shared with the people I love.
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,513
What a great birth experience. TFS
Mommy to two sweet girls: Emma Marie (December 9, 2008) and Hadley Annabelle (November 29, 2011)

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
iTry's Avatar BFing, bed sharing, SAHM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 40
Send a message via AIM to iTry Send a message via MSN to iTry Send a message via Yahoo to iTry Send a message via Skype™ to iTry
Aww congrats! I'm so glad it went well for you and especially that you didn't have problems with breastfeeding afterwards. She sounds lovely =]
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0