Log In Sign Up

Introducing Walter

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: outer space
Posts: 22,681
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
As you all know, Walter was born on Jan 10th just before noon. We were all shocked that he weighed 8 lbs 6 1/2 ounces, and 21 inches.

I had my membranes swept (violently) that morning, and my water broke that night around 9PM. I labored at home until around 2:30. When I got to the hospital, I was 4 cms and in a lot of pain. I had planned to labor in the hot tub, but since my waters broke my DR wouldn't let me. So I got in the shower for about 30 minutes, but the contractions were so painful, so I asked for the epidural. I was at 5 cms at that point, and happy that I had made some good progress. The epidural was WONDERFUL!!! The pain went away immediately and I was able to relax my body. I didn't get any sleep but was able to nap until around 5, and the epidural stopped working. I got some more medication and waited it out until 7. I got a tiny bit more medication, but not the full dose because I was at 8 cms. At around 8:30 the epidural had completely worn off, and my doctor wouldn't let me get any more because I was close to pushing.

For those of you who are curious, the contractions got soooo intense during the transition phase. It was so overwhelming! Around 11 AM I was fully dialated and had an incredible urge to push. I pushed for about an hour, and pushing felt WONDERFUL. It is just like you read in books.. feels like taking a gigantic dump. It was really hard pusing him past my pubic bone, but once I did that he was ready to crown, and that was the worst part. It felt like I was pushing a bowling ball through a wedding ring. At one point I didn't think I could do it anymore. But once he crowned, he was out and it was over. The pain went away and I was sooo relieved. I only tore in one place towards the front, not towards my rear which I was pleased about. But my bum is really swollen and sitting hurts a lot.

(warning, scary part coming up for those who are still preggo)
I bled really really badly shortly after birth, which was more frightening and exhausting than labor itself. I had a battledoore placenta, which caused a lot of clots in my uterus. It was like something from Greys Anatomy or something.. doctors rushing around in a panic. They had to go inside and sweep the clots out, and they kept pushing on my belly and blood just kept gushing out. They gave me a shot inside to stop the bleeding and finally it did. I thought I was going to need a blood transfusion, it was sooo scary. I had a bunch of IVs after with pitocin to stop the bleeding, which worked thank God. I was so week, I could hardly talk.

I'm healing okay, and believe it or not my pelvic bone hurts more than anything. I guess thats to be expected when you're small framed and push out a 8 1/2 pound baby. It feels broken and I waddle more now that I ever did when I was pregnant.

It was really hard at night because they don't allow husbands to spend the night, and I didn't want to send Walter to the nursery, so getting out of bed and trying to feed him was so hard. I'm so glad to be home. We just got discharged this afternoon, and we're adjusting to things. We are a bit stressed a bout caring for his circumcision, which hurts him a lot when he pees. It's so sad. But we're getting the hang of it. He's also finally starting to latch on, which is good because I was becoming really stressed out over BFing.

That's about it! Enjoy some pictures. I'm so in love. He couldn't be more perfect and healthy. <3

last belly pic, taken between contractions:

my parents:
mama to 5 yr old DS1 , 3 year old DS2 , and nursling DD .
Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM
BLUDOLPHIN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 2,401
Send a message via MSN to BLUDOLPHIN
he is SOOOOO cute!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0