Log In Sign Up

Meghan Juliet ~ Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,195
I'm sorry this took so long to write. I guess I really didn't want it to be written, since it was so far from what I wished for. But it happened, and it is the day I met me daughter, so I finally took the time to write it. As far from my ideal birth experience as it was, it was an amazing day (days) and I needed to make a record of it.

~The Birth of Meghan Juliet~

It all started on a Wednesday night. I was grocery shopping at the market, and the contractions went from every 10 minutes (where they had been for about 3 weeks or so) to every 3-6 minutes. It was awesome.. something was finally happening. I was 2 weeks late at this point, and was in the dairy section.
I quickly finished my shopping, and got in the car. They were consistent and getting more intense. I was in pain, but so very happy that something was finally happening. I called Mike and told him to get home as soon as possible. It was 6pm, January 23rd.

Mike got home in about 12 minutes (usually a 20 minute trip). By 8pm, we were in the car, heading to the hospital. The contractions never stopped.. and got more intense. I was admitted to L&D room 3 by 9pm. They hooked me up to the monitors and agreed I was in labor. All was well. The doctor came by, and did the good old 'check'.. and proclaimed that I was closed. Yippee

I continued having contractions around 3 minutes apart for the next 5 hours. Every hour on the hour, I was checked, with no dilation at all. Finally at 2:30am, they advised me to go home and wait it out. They gave me an ambien to help me sleep. That would be the last decent nights sleep I would have for a long time.

At 11am on Thursday, January 24th, I had an ultrasound and OB appointment. The Ultrasound showed our little baby girl was measuring at 8lbs, 12oz. I was 13 days late and the doctor was pushing for an induction due to size and length of time in the womb. I agreed. The contractions were still around 3 minutes apart. Lovely!

We scheduled the induction for 7pm that night. At 7pm, January 24th, Mike and I arrived at the hospital and were put into L&D room #5. The head nurse was on duty and I was so happy that he was our nurse. I had heard great things about him. By 9:15, the *effacement drug* (I forgot the name) was inserted. The contractions kicked in harder after that.. which I wasn't expecting. But it was welcomed. We watched the monitors all night, and DH got a kick out of watching the intensity and making jokes about how "that one was smaller than the last, you shouldn’t be making such a horrible face for such a tiny contraction". Butthead!!

Thursday came and went.. and Friday showed no better signs of the baby coming. My contractions stayed consistent and strong. But my body just wasn't changing. Friday morning, the doctor announced yet again that I was not dilating. So, they began the pitocin drip in hopes of making my body cooperate. But nothing happened..except stronger contractions... stronger contractions that did NOTHING! The baby was showing mild signs of being unhappy inside me and I was put on oxygen for the duration of my stay. The nurse told me that some people’s bodies just never cooperate and that I should be prepared mentally for a cesarean section.

By Friday afternoon around 4pm, the doctor came by. She told me that with the lack of progress, there was really nothing they could do for me, except c-section if I wished. I was not beat down far enough to just opt for a c-section and the baby was not in actual distress at this point. She told me she would check me once more, and if nothing had changed, I had 2 options... 1. C-section. 2. Go home and wait it out.

She checked me around 4:30pm. I was a 'dimple' dilated, in her words.. and still not reacting to the drug stimulation. She was taking her glove off and I asked if I was dilated enough to strip my membranes. She said she thought she could.. and did. I lost my plug and had show immediately after. My contractions also immediately went off the scale. And yet, they still sent me home..lol.

The car ride home was outrageous. I went from handling everything decently to trying to rip the arm rest off the car. Mike was very concerned. On the ride home (20 minutes), he was timing my contractions at about 60 seconds to 2 minutes apart. We got home at 5pm on Friday, and I jumped in the shower. I hadn’t had a shower in awhile. I also tried to eat a sandwich..but got 1/4 of it down, and threw it up. The contractions were only a minute apart tops.. and getting very very intense. By 7:00pm, Mike was on the phone with the nurse.. and we were told to come back to the hospital.

By 8pm, we arrived at the hospital, and the head nurse that I liked so much was waiting out front with a wheel chair. He had gotten off work at 7pm, but waited for us to get back before he left. So nice!

We were admitted back into good old L&D room #5. By this point, I hadn't slept since Wednesday night. I was delirious, and so exhausted. All the natural birthing prep hadn't covered what to do in the event of a 3 day labor. I lost all control of my mental state by this point. The nurse on duty checked me, and I was so relieved to hear her say I was 4 cm.

By 2am, things weren't looking so great. I was still 4cm 6 hours later. The nurses were all talking about c-section.. and how quick I could have my baby in my arms. They were really annoying me. Like it was a sales pitch or something. I lost my nerve by this point, and finally gave into the epidural. It was helpful, but nothing like I expected. I was still in so much pain, and the nurse was concerned. By 4am, the nurse called the anesthesiologist back to the room, and he 'fixed' me up with another epidural. He said the first one was placed too high, and the second one honestly was such a relief. I was having back labor, and it really really helped.

I was so friggin exhausted by this point, I had Mike stand near the machine, and would just tell him to 'hit me' every 10 minutes and he would push the happy button for me. lol

Around 5am, the doctor said she wanted to break my water to see if it would move things along. After the water was broken, they told me that there was meconium and explained what had to happen during delivery. I was also given an antibiotic drip, because after my water was broken, I developed a fever. By this point my ENTIRE birthplan was out the window. No natural birth, no delayed cord clamping, no immediate skin to skin... but I kept optimistic. My baby girl was almost here.

By 6:30, I was 10cm! Finally!! At around 6:45 we started pushing...and at 7:14am, Saturday, January 26, 2008, my Meghan Juliet was born. 8lbs., 7oz, 21inches long. ( a bit smaller than the u/s predicted) She was whisked away to a little room at the end of the room I was in. I could see her, and hear her, but couldn't hold her yet. When they finished fixing her up and checking her for possible 'contamination', she was brought to me. I was in tears. She is so amazing.
It was long and hard, but worth every moment.
I Love my

My Blog
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Posts: n/a
I know it wasn't the birth you were hoping for, but you are such an amazingly strong woman and such a trooper! Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 9,710
wow you are a trooper... I would have given in to the csection... Wait I did...

it wasn't what you expected or wanted but you didnt' have a csection which was great.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,195
Thank you. I am very happy to have avoided the c-section. I hope next time, it goes smoother. But everytime I look at my little one, I know I would do it all again.
I Love my

My Blog
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0