Log In Sign Up

Lauren's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Yorktown, Va
Posts: 666
Monday, March 17th

The birth of Lauren began with a planned induction. I had seen my doctor on March 17th to see if my cervix was making any changes, based on this my doctor would decide whether to have me go to the hospital on Tuesday the 18th or Wednesday morning. Well my cervix was high and tight, not a good place. My doctor and I discussed options and he explained the risks of having her born at 37.5 wks (possibility EDD was wrong = premature baby) and that the induction may fail because I was not showing any changes. I decided to continue as planned but let the doc know that if the induction failed I was ok with it and that I would just let nature take it's course from there. So, he told me to show up at the hospital on Tuesday night and that they would start me on cervidil and begin the real induction on Wed.

Tuesday, March 18th

The day began with me going to class for a few hours then I went to the airport to pick up my friend who was going to stay with us for the weekend to help us out with our son. After I picked her up we went to dinner and then arrived at the hospital at 1600 sharp. They registered me and then put me in a room. It felt really surreal to know that I would be leaving the hospital with a baby. So, per their protocol they monitored us for an hour and started an IV. One of my doctors peers checked me (my physician would not be in until the morning) and she said that I was dilated 2 cm, 60% effaced, and at a -2 station. She decided to not go with the cervical ripening agent as she was afraid that I would begin labor during the night and that my husband would miss it. So, they kept me in the hospital over night just for the sake of ease. It was very boring.

Wednesday, March 19th

I woke up at 0230 and could not fall back asleep for more than a few minutes at a time. The nurse came in and told me I could take a quick shower before they began the pitocin. I told her to take her time since I wanted to make sure that DH was with me for the birth. At around 0730 my doctor came in and checked me and was very displeased that the cervidil was not used. He said I was only 1 cm dilated, 30% effaced, and at a -1 station. He decided to break my water. By this time I had let the nurses know that with my son labor went really fast once my water broke but I don't think anyone listened.
So anyways, he broke my water at 0736 and they started the pitocin. I started getting minor contractions about a half an hour later and they of course progressively got worse. The nurse kept offering me the epidural but knowing that it could stall labor I wanted to wait until the pain got unbearable. Around 1000 I asked for the epidural. They did check me just before and I was 6 cm dilated. The anesthesiologist finally showed up after what seemed forever, got my epidural started and of course it only worked on the right side of my body! By this time I was in major pain. I had to wait for him to come back to check it and see what he could do (it really is no better if only half the body is numb, as much as you would think it is). In the meantime DH's plane had just landed and he was on the way to the hospital (thankfully, the plane was 15 min early). The doctor checked me again at this time and guess what...I was 8 cm dilated! At this point he asked me where the heck my husband was at and told the nurse to decrease my pitocin in half. The anesthesiologist came back around 1215 and slightly adjusted the epidural catheter and gave me a bolus. Within 30 min I could no longer feel the contractions on the left and the right was over numb because it got the extra medication too. Another 15 minutes later DH showed up (isn't it perfect, he did not have to see the hard part of labor). I was so happy. So were the nurses and doctors, it really would have made for good television. About ten minutes after DH arrived the doc decided to check me since I had no real feeling and guess what...I was fully dilated. He asked me to try pushing just to see how effective I would be and imagine his surprise when on my first push he saw the head (OK STOP PUSHING!!). This sent him and the nurses into panic mode as they tried to hurry up and get gowned up and the extra staff for the delivery in order. I then pushed a few more times and Lauren made her grand appearance at 1322 EST.

Her apgars were 9 and 9, she was 7 lbs. 5 oz., and was 20 1/4 cm. There were no complications whatsoever. In the end daddy made it with 25-30 minutes to spare and we have a harrowing tale of the day she was born and all the efforts that were made by quite a few people to have her daddy there in the delivery room when she was born. It truly was quite an adventure.
Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 14,120
Wow what a story!! Congrats hun!! She is beautiful!!

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
CAS416's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,428
What an amazing story. I'm so glad that your DH made it!

Congrats on Baby Lauren!!

Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Casselton, ND
Posts: 1,612
What a great story! I am so glad her dad was able to make it in time!
<div align="center">

Reply With Quote
March 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Posts: n/a
Great story!! I love your comments about how it would have been great for TV. Congrats on your sweet baby girl!
Reply With Quote
March 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Posts: n/a

My epidural with my second baby never fully took, but it was enough so that it wasn't too bad. I just had one little tiny area on my tummy that never went numb. Glad they were able to get yours fixed though!!!
Reply With Quote
March 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Posts: n/a
Aww, that's a great birth story! Glad your hubby made it in time. Congrats again on your little girl.
Reply With Quote
March 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 8,856
That's a wonderful birth story! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Last summer at the Petrified Forest.

Reply With Quote
March 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Coffee_Bean's Avatar Cuz I got it like that!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,392
Send a message via Yahoo to Coffee_Bean
Wow, great story!! Thanks for sharing!

Patiently TTC#2

M/C April 2012
M/C August 2012
M/C March 2013
M/C January 2014
Reply With Quote
March 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Tonya_Ashlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,879
That definately would have been a good TV show on a baby story or something! I am glad ur DH was there for the delivery! CONGRATs on ur little angel!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0