What was your family like growing up?

Forum: Blended Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blended Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 03:59 PM
.Katie.
What kind of home do you come from?

My older brother and sister come from my dad's first marriage. I was the only child of my mom. My Dad had full custody of my brother and sister so even if they were 'half' I never considered them to be any less than a normal brother and sister. My parents are still married.
December 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
My dad was out of my life before I was born. My brother is my only full blood sibling. My sister is older than me, her and my brother are only 3 months apart. But I was the baby and my mom and stepdad never went on to have kids.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Well I'm the oldest of my mother's children, and the 2nd oldest of my father. My sister and I are born 4 years apart to the flipping day. Her mother was the BM from hell and she managed to taint my sisters view of my mother (leading to some awful behavior) for over 25 years, Wasn't until dad died in 2010 that my sister told us what she'd been told her whole life.

I have two much younger brothers, with a gap of 7.5 and 9.5 years ( so 11.5 and 13.5 for my sister). My parents didn't marry until I was 15, they fought too much to even bother wasting the money. They fought a lot around us kids... so I absolutely HATE conflict. DH and I rarely fight, and if we do it's one of us rolling our eyes or just snipping at the other.

My family is super close, so me moving half way across another country to be with DH has been hard on us. This will be my 2nd ever Christmas away from my family, and my first with my new family. So far so good.

December 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I have one brother. My parents divorced when I was 7 and he was 4. They've both been with their current partners since shortly after that, so life was pretty stable in a lot of ways. My stepmom has one daughter so I have one stepsister on that side, and my stepdad has three daughters from his first marriage, so I have 3 stepsisters on that side. Neither my mom or dad had any more children with their second marriages, so there are no other blood siblings.

I was with my mom 60% of the time growing up and my dad 40% - they lived in the same city and basically it just meant my mom had us for 4 days a week and my dad 3. They typically got along, which was helpful (on that note, though, neither of my parents are nut jobs so that makes that easier ). My brother and I get along okay now that we're both adults, but we fought A LOT as children. I get along well with both of my parents (although I have definitely had periods of serious problems with both in the past).

I had rocky moments with both of my stepparents, but they were a result of personality clashes moreso than blended family issues. Those problems have worked themselves out over time and while I still occasionally at them, I get along with both fairly well.

My stepsister on my dad's side and I got along really well growing up. We talk a little less now because we don't really have much in common at this point in life (I'm married and a stepmother, she's single, more in her party phase and still trying to figure out what she wants out of life -- we also live 1000 miles apart now) but we still get along and I like talking to her when I do get to visit.

On my mom's side, I got along okay with my oldest step-sister but overall the three of them were very close and so I was often on the outside. The one who's the same age as me is my polar opposite in most ways, and we've gone back and forth over the years (some years we hate each other and some years we got along wonderfully -- now we just don't speak, really, but could be cordial if stuck in the same room). The youngest was too young for me to ever really interact with and now that she's in her late teens, I just don't really like her personality very much.

The extended family on my dad's side mostly lives in Scotland, UK so I only see some of them occasionally when they come to visit (aside from my grandparents, who I ). The extended family on my mom's side is a lot bigger, and with a big family sometimes comes the division. I love my grandparents on that side, too, but sadly I barely know most of my aunts/uncles/cousins on that side because of division issues over the years (not my mom keeping me from them -- them refusing to interact with us because my mom opted not to engage in most of the drama). My stepdad's extended family is big, loud and outgoing and all kinds of fun, and I like them. My stepmom's extended family is small and reserved, but they're polite and sweet most of the time.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; December 11th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
December 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
My parents have been married for 44 years. I have one brother, 15 months older than me.
December 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My parents have been married 48 years. I have 1 sister - she's been married 31 years.

Yup only 1 to be divorced

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
My parents have been married 48 years. I have 1 sister - she's been married 31 years.

Yup only 1 to be divorced
My brother got divorced too, so I don't feel like the black sheep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search