New here...how did you pick your major???

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 28 and I want to go to college but I still have no clue what I want to do. Nursing is definitely out.. I can't stand looking at or dealing with blood and etc.

Before I had my baby I worked for 5 years doing data entry, medical coding, and medical billing. It paid decent but not decent enough that I can do it now and afford daycare for 2 kids.

How do you decide what you want to do?? I'm currently a SAHM but it's not forever only until my baby gets to be about 2 or 3. I can manage to go back to school part time right now if I could make up my mind about it.

December 28th, 2006, 07:52 AM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I am not in a major college or anything, so I don't know how good my advice would be to you. I go to a technical college and decided what I was going to do based on what I am passionate about. Maybe if you think about what you really want to do that would help you in making a decision about your major. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is very helpful in finding out what skills you need and the pay rates. the url is http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Hope that helps

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

December 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
English Lit was always my passion through school and so I wanted to continue on with it....

I was actually minoring in Women's Studies before I decided to take it on as a major...

So I finished with a double major
January 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Kristin143's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Kristin143
Quote:
I'm 28 and I want to go to college but I still have no clue what I want to do. Nursing is definitely out.. I can't stand looking at or dealing with blood and etc.

Before I had my baby I worked for 5 years doing data entry, medical coding, and medical billing. It paid decent but not decent enough that I can do it now and afford daycare for 2 kids.

How do you decide what you want to do?? I'm currently a SAHM but it's not forever only until my baby gets to be about 2 or 3. I can manage to go back to school part time right now if I could make up my mind about it.[/b]

I just love the criminal justice field everything about it, You can even do ONLINE classes when your at home with your child/children nap time for them can be your "class time" Like you said nursing is out and the reasons go down the line and pick other majors and reasons why youcould and could not deal with a job in that major! Good luck!
January 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I knew what I enjoy to do, and thats being around kids.

I originally was special education [pre-edu]; but decided that wasn't the field for me, but once I started early childhood classes I feel totally in love and this IS the field for me. I just live and breath everything I'm learning.
January 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM
TotsnTwins
Go with something you are passionate about. If you have a hobby like web design, then go into that.

I have always enjoyed cooking, and for the longest time I did not know what I wanted to do. I even laughed when my career placement tests would come back with "chef" as my top career. I thought that was so stupid. Well, here I am in my second year of Culinary school and I am loving it! I can't see myself in any other field now.
January 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Go with something you are passionate about. If you have a hobby like web design, then go into that.[/b]
ITA! I mean dont go into some thing

1)If in the end when your done with school and do infact get a job in that field your not gonna have to wake up every day and say Grrr another day at this job! (kwim?)
2)Dont waste the money on something your not enjoying learning about!
January 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
TotsnTwins
And don't get a degree that you never plan to use.

Hubby's best friend has a criminal justice degree. Never used it and never will. Halfway through the program he realized he wasn't into it. Instead of switching to something he did like, he stuck it out and now has a degree that sits in the drawer and never sees the light of day. It's stupid.
January 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Quote:
And don't get a degree that you never plan to use.

Hubby's best friend has a criminal justice degree. Never used it and never will. Halfway through the program he realized he wasn't into it. Instead of switching to something he did like, he stuck it out and now has a degree that sits in the drawer and never sees the light of day. It's stupid.[/b]
Hahah See i could never do it, the Criminal Justice work is hard lol.. This last smest i was like oh gosh lol.. What does he do for a living now?
January 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
TotsnTwins
He works at a printing company. Same thing he's been doing for years. It's just a different company since the other one closed down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search